“Dinner extremely expensive and you stay hungry” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%, Book in Advance
Ranked #73 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Dubrovnik, Croatia
“Dinner extremely expensive and you stay hungry”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

I arrived to the hotel via the shuttle bus from Schiphol. Excellent driver. The hotel is new and the staff on the reception is friendly.
I decided to treat myself with a "a la cart" dinner even though my company paid for a simple buffet. I just wanted a good big steak.The restaurant looks beautiful with a nice view over the city.
I ordered the scallops (17 Euro's) and an entrecote (30 euro's) and even though the dishes looked very nice they were extremely poor in quantity. The scallops were only 2 (maybe 5 grams in total with 3-4 different sauces and 3 leafs of some miniature lettuce) and the entrecote dish consisted of 6-7 pieces of already cut entrecote covered with a sauce and 8 French fries on the side. In total all together not even 100 grams of food. I spent 55 euro's in the restaurant and had to go to a snack bar afterwards because I was still hungry like a elephant. The first time in many years that I really felt robbed after spending 55 euro's for a 1 person dinner. Like this the restaurant can feed 150 customers with only 1 kg of entrecote all together.
Also,the restaurant waiter said that they do not serve 0,5l beer, but small ones 0,3 but then I had to constantly wave my arms in order to get the waitress to bring another one. At the end I gave up, just paid and left.No eye contact with the customers whatsoever.
I am sorry, but this is how I feel about the restaurant.
In the room for the first time ever since I travel around the globe there are no complimentary toiletries provided (to preserve the environment!??) and you have to call for somebody to bring them up (which I did not do because I was tired and just wanted to go to sleep without having to wait for somebody to bring me some shower gel). Bring your own toiletries.
The bed in the room is extremely hard to sleep on.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Imre H, General Manager at Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear Milan1232014,

Thank you very much for taking time to write down your experiences on tripadvisor.

First of all, I´m very pleased with your compliments towards our staff and the shuttle service.

I am however quit surprised with your constructive feedback towards our restaurant, Floor 17. Please do understand that this is qualified as a fine dining restaurant, were we do offer a high quality 3-course menu for €35.

This is also the reason why no 0,5l beers are served at this part of our restaurant. In case you would like to enjoy a more extended diner, please do book for our Italian buffet. Here we do offer many fresh Italian and International products for just €25.

The toiletries are indeed available at the reception due to our Golden Green Key certificate. In case you would need them, please do ring us and we will be up in 2 minutes.

I would really hope to welcome you again at the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre to provide you the expected services.

1,109 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

I stayed here for a weekend with my boyfriend. The hotel is well decorated and new and the rooms are clean. The staff were friendly and willing to answer any questions. The tram stop out the front is handy to get around Amsterdam. The only negative comment I have to make is that when we checked in the staff member failed to tell me that he put a €112 block on my credit card even though I had paid for the room in full via booking.com. On the day I checked out I had checked my credit card statement and thought it had been compromised. It wasn't until I asked reception about any other charges did they tell me about this 'deposit' and that in 2 days it will time out and my funds would be returned.
It took about a week and was only returned once I contacted my bank. Ramada you should probably make sure you tell people about this when they check in not when they think there credit card details have been stolen!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir / Madame,

Thank you very much for taking time to write us a review on tripadvisor!
Your positive words towards our staff are highly appreciated and will definitely be discussed within all departments.

At the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, we do indeed ask for a €50 deposit per night. Please do contact me in person so I can look in to your booking. This deposit should indeed be described on your booking confirmation.

Again, thank you very much for taking time to write us a review online and I do hope to welcome you back in the (near) future!

Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Last week I spent 2 nights at this hotel for business reasons. I may say that the hotel was faboulous regarding the setting for the conference I attended, very confortable rooms, nice breakfast and delicious catering. I travel frequently and I do realise when quality on top of each detail. However, the reason that triggers me write this review was not that, in fact I found the time because I was delighted to see the outstanding performance and hospitality from one particular hotel employee, HANS!. He helped me a lot and I was so impressed he was so kind to me as I´ve never met such a nice, charming, and polite person at a reception point. Thank you so much Hans, I will never forget your .

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Imre H, General Manager at Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Suarez G,

Thank you very much for this wonderful 5 star review, this really means the world to me and my team.

Also your compliments regarding our staff are from high value to me since this is one of my main focus points. Therefore I will definitely share you compliments among my team.

It was a pleasure welcoming you as our guest, and I do hope to welcome you back for any coming conference or leisure trip.

Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

Room was too cold for comfort throughout my stay. Turning up the heating control didn't help much. The same went for the restaurant. Guests were having breakfast in down jackets! otherwise clean and modern.

Dear emilyhoneychurch,

Thank you very much for writing us a review on tripadvisor!

It’s wonderful to read that you have enjoyed Amsterdam en our magnificent views.
I am however, concerned regarding your constructing feeback towards our staff. Please do contact me in person so this can be explained more into detail.

I do hope to welcome you once more and show our expected level of service to you!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

My boyfriend and I went to Amsterdam for the first time good hotel shame about the staff not friendly and didn't want to help and the breakfast isn't really much of buffet its basic for 4 star might need up there game......beautiful room nice and clean and magnificent views from our room.The tram right out side the hotel just mins from the centre .the bus runs outside the airport doesn't alway come so we used the train its very easy if you know your stuff before you travel and people are very helpful

plan going back this year but not this hotel

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear emilyhoneychurch,

Thank you very much for writing us a review on tripadvisor!

Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Location a bit boring but hotel is new and nice. Restaurant on top floor offers great views. Room is very nice. Haven't tried the restaurant for dinner yet, but seems like a nice place. So far all the staff have been very friendly.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Imre H, General Manager at Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Nysa Nystrom,

Thank you very much for taking time to write us a review online. I’m very glad with your compliments regarding our staff; a high service is one of our main focus points!

Please feel free to enjoy a beautiful diner on Floor 17, this is absolutely worthwhile trying!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

the breakfast at ramada hotel is very good.it is eccelent foods.
I am very surprised with many kinds of juice.
the restrant view also very good. the restrant is very clean.
the staffs also are very kind.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Imre H, General Manager at Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Dear yokota2014,

Thank you very much for your friendly words regarding our staff en Floor17 in particular.
A 5 star review is one of the biggest compliments we can get!

I will definitely share your review among my colleagues in the restaurant.

Hotel Manager

Been to Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre? Share your experiences!