“Fantastic find on ideal location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel JL No76

You added Hotel JL No76 to your Saves list
Hotel JL No76
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jan Luijkenstraat 76, 1071 CT Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #42 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic find on ideal location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

It was with slight apprehension we boarded the hotel shuttle/coach from the airport. Previous experience has taught us to never presume that accommodation is what it says it is in the travel guides. I can happily report though that this ace was fantastic. Great location in the Museum Quarter of Amsterdam and within easy walking distances of s main attractions. Amsterdam is a city best enjoyed on foot after all. The room was clean, tea/coffee provided, excellent housekeeping and a fab bathroom (not allowing for the fact the plug in the bath was broken and despite reporting it it was not repaired during our stay). The only downside would be that it's a bit of a squeeze getting in the door due to the room design and being opposite the lift (room 204) was a bit annoying after a while. The hotel would probably do well to offer free wifi as do many other hotels/cafes/hotel coaches. Staff were overall extremely helpful and friendly although breakfast staff were a little erratic. We got offered a cooked breakfast the first day (inc in booking) but then they appeared to just ignore us on the second day. It pays to approach staff to ask for what you need. Overall I would recommend this hotel for anyone passing through Amsterdam who wants an alternative to all the tat and sleaze of the RLD. Will Definetly be back.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Turkish first
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed for four nights, Monday to Friday, and upgraded our room after the first night. The first room on the top floor was approximately 3.5 metres wide and 7 metres deep. Entering from the corridor the metre wide entry passage had the washbasin arrangements and wardrobe on the right and the entry to the wc and shower on the left. Three metres in was the bedroom with a queen bed and a long shelf along most of the opposite wall. There were 2 chairs as well. So, there wasn't much room for our two large cases. While the room had plenty of power points to re-charge things and a Nespresso machine, the light over the mirror above the handbasin area didn't work making it a rather gloomy place to shave or apply make-up. The toiletries comprised 1 x 30 ml tube of shampoo and a single cake of soap supplied for the two of us to shower with and also use at the handbasin, measured approximately 50 x 25 x 5 mm. When we enquired about the wi-fi we were told there was a daily or weekly charge although we could use the single desktop computer in the foyer anytime without charge however, when we pointed out that our Booking.Com confirmation stated that, "Wi-fi is available in the entire hotel and is free of charge" the staff member at the desk immediately gave us full wi-fi access without.
We upgraded to a larger room on the first floor on the second day at an additional cost of Eur20 per day. This room had an extra metre's depth as it had a bay window and it also had 3 chairs, one for the desk area and two lounge chairs. Everything in the room was fine although the toiletries remained 'on ration' and there were no bathrobes supplied and no bathmat which we had had in the previous room.
The hotel is very well decorated and has a welcoming feel to it. It's on a quiet street and the lobby area is small but comfortable and the breakfast area likewise. Breakfast comprised a good variety of food including cooked items but at Eur 19.50 per person was expensive for us as we only have cereals, tea and toast.
The hotel is very well-located near the Concert Hall, Van Gogh and Rijksmuseums and there is a good restaurant district within easy walking distance.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and all spoke good English so we had no difficulty communicating.
We would definitely stay there again, but would take the larger room and bring our own toiletries (We run a bed and breakfast ourselves and a cake of good-sized cake of Molton Brown soap costs about Aus$0.95 and 30 ml shampoo and 30 ml conditioner about the same, each, so I'm at a loss to fathom why so many places skimp on a very inexpensive item but one that can make a guest feel unhappy if insufficient).

Room Tip: Go for one of the larger rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

A fabulous hotel around 20 minutes walk from Dam Square. Excellent location with local bars/restaurants approximately 5 minutes walk. Situated behind an amazing row of designer shops, this hotel was quiet and extremely comfortable. Only downside was that there was no free wi-fi and having the bathroom sink in the room itself was a bit strange. Room service was prompt and tasty. Honesty bar was a bonus.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
SF
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My actual rating is Good for this hotel.

This is a very nice small hotel in Museumplein. Very close to Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum. The staff is absolutely great. They speak such perfect English that you forget you are in a foreign country. We got checked-in while the receptionist was listening to techno music and he was dancing to it. I thought that really captured the atmosphere in Amsterdam. He was really helpful and record-breaking fast.

Bus 197 from Schiphol Airport drops you off two blocks away from the hotel but we ended up taking the Connexion hotel shuttle since 197 looked packed and it was raining. Hotel shuttle drops you off right at the door. It is 16 euros per person one way.

The only disappointment about the hotel is that executive room was in the basement and carpets were stained and looked dirty. The vanity kits were all empty. Try to avoid room numbers 80s (basement) and 92 (right next to the elevator). Executive rooms are bigger and has a jacuzzi but next time I would get a smaller room that is upstairs. It was difficult to sleep in the morning hearing footsteps. Towels were changed everyday even if you hang it so just don't bother hanging them. Towels did not look very good.

Our helpful staff tried to change it for us but the hotel was full. We arrived on the Amsterdam Gay Pride Parade day. If you are planning to travel to Amsterdam on the first Saturday of August I recommend to plan ahead.

The breakfast was great. I was severely jet-lagged and tried to see if a breakfast place is open at 7:00am on a Sunday. None of course. I was very happy to see the hotel breakfast available… It was very good. It is reasonably priced if you consider breakfast prices nearby. I don't eat a lot for breakfast so it felt expensive but worth it.

Wifi is not included in the room price.

As we were leaving staff was very helpful again to store our luggage pretty much all day.

I might consider staying here again if they can change their carpets, provide better towels and have a better hair dryer. Maybe rooms upstairs are cared better. So if you choose this hotel pick a room that is upstairs.

Room Tip: Upstairs. Avoid room number 80s and 90s.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Stayed for 4 nights at this hotel recently on 2-6 August 2012, decided to splurge and booked an Executive Deluxe room.

As advised, I took the Airport shuttle bus which I think was perfect as it is less pricey than cab but stops right outside the hotel. It costed 16 euros one way and I wish I had bought a return which would only been 26 euros, I didn't so I paid 32 euros instead.

Lobby was awesome and really cool. Stayed at room 201, which I think is one of the only 2 rooms with a balcony. Absolutely love the room which was modern, spacious and clean. The jacuzzi bath with TV was the best and I used it all 4 nights. Super impressed with how quickly I can fill up the bath. Everywhere I stayed, it took ages to fill the bath but not here, it only took about 2 mins. The air con worked well, mattress and pillows were super comfortable. Also nice to have a little balcony. Location wise, it's in a nice quiet area and on the street parallel are all the designer brands. Takes about 15 minutes to walk to the floating flower market and 30-35 minutes to the train station. Otherwise, can just hop onto one of the trams.

Day time staff was friendly and helpful and helped me book taxi for 2 days to take me to the train station early in the morning and also the shuttle to the airport on the last day, no problem at all and they all arrived on time.

A few little things I noted and hope they can improve. Emailed them before arrival and asked 2 questions, they replied and only answered 1, so had to email them again.

Breakfast was not included which I don't complain. But wifi was not included either and they charged me 8 euros per day, the price itself is reasonable but I think most hotels include wifi these days so I didn't like that it's not included in the room rates.

Got back to the hotel at 10:20pm one night and learned that their kitchen closed at 10, so could not order any food and there was nothing closeby. Did so the last night and ordered a caprese burger and an apple pie, they arrived 20 mins later. The burger is really nice but the apple pie was ok, prices reasonable.

I am not tall but I don't consider myself super short (5'4), but I could only see the top of my head on the mirror above the sinks, not even my forehead so I guess they were meant for people at least 5'10? The part where you adjust water temperature at the shower, it says hot on the left and cold on the right but it was actually the other way around.

The housekeeping service really leaves a bit to be desired, everywhere else I stayed, even if they didn't fold my PJ they will just put it on the duvet, but my PJ was either chucked on the chair or on the bedside table. Also, they clearly did not clean the balcony both before or during my stay which I can't understand, it is part of the room afterall, isn't it? And towels, I hung my bath towel up so they didn't need to replace with fresh ones, but they were replaced anyhow. The towel for the floor which I placed inside the sink and expected it to be replaced, they replaced 1 day but did not do so the next 2 days, so I ended up having none on the last night. Also the shampoo, I never expected them to be nice but this shampoo really dries ur hair out, so lades, bring conditioner.

The night time staff needs a bit of training, I asked to book the hotel shuttle to the airport and basically he didn't know the time nor how, so he suggested I book a cab. I thought it was unnecessary and asked again when I checked out the next morning, the staff was helpful and told me that I could take the bus or book the shuttle for me if I prefer.

So overall, I absolutely love the room and the location and although they can improve on services, I don't think it was anything major and am likely to return. I stayed at another hotel (Hotel Notting Hill) in Amsterdam last year and I definitely prefer Hotel JL No. 76 over Hotel Notting Hill.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I stayed here in July with my teenage son. You can read the other reviewers comments on the room/decor/location etc. and the hotel meets expectations on all those areas. However our stay was overall a disappointment and an exercise in frustration rather than relaxation :(
Firstly, despite THREE times confirming that the room was a twin and not a double we arrived to find our room had two twin beds joined together. OK not a disaster, we reckoned we could just move them apart when we got back after sight seeing and a canal cruise that evening. But, wouldn't it have been nice if after the THREE confirmations, that would already have been done for us? That niggled a little bit but not enough to spoil a rainy but excellent day and evening in Amsterdam. We got back around 10pm and attempted to separate the beds - no luck and I was in danger of back damage so went to Reception where there were two male staff on duty. When I explained that we wanted help, they first of all said they couldn't help us and that this was the Dutch definition of "Twin Bed" - what rubbish! I have Dutch friends, have spent a lot of time working in the Netherlands and was annoyed at the brush off. It was only when I asked the younger of the two men if HE would be happy at the age of 17 to sleep in a double bed with his Mother that he offered to come and see if he could help. It took my son and the other young man to "unhook" the beds so we could move them apart and finally try to get some sleep.
To add insult to injury, the next morning the taxi we had booked with the taxi company that the hotel uses all the time failed to show up. I had booked the taxi the evening before as we had a train to catch and wanted to be on time. We were kept waiting 25 minutes before finally a taxi arrived and took us to the train station and just for the icing on the cake, the driver said he had no change and ripped us off by about 50% extra on the fare.
So, overall great hotel/location/decor etc. but our experience was at this Hotel YOU must fit around THEIR arrangements but don't expect THEM to fit around YOURS.
Oh, and take the tram to/from the Station - it's faster, cheaper and more reliable than the Hotel Taxi service :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights at the end of July and really enjoyed out stay. We booked a deluxe room but paid for an upgrade to executive deluxe.

We were greeted by name as we arrived which was a nice touch and the staff were polite and helpful (and spoke excellent English). Our room was a decent size (by European standards), well decorated and very clean. The air conditioning worked well. The location is great - a lovely quiet street but very close to the museums and tram stops. The decor downstairs is great - we liked the Delft-style bust of Lenin on the front desk.

I had hesitated slightly about booking this hotel as I had read a few reviews talking about noise from the cleaners or the lift. I had asked them specifically not to put us next to the lift although as we upgraded we did then get a room next to a lift. Apart from being able to hear the occasional conversation of people getting in and out (which you can of anyone who walks past your door) there was no noise from it at all so this doesn't seem to be a big problem (although there does seem to be a room next to the lift on the ground floor that I probably would avoid)

So, why not a 5-star rating. A few small things. The sink being outside the bathroom I can live with but the mirror above it was too high for my wife to see into without standing on tiptoe and the light above it was too dim to be able to shave easily. My wife ended up doing her lipstick in the lift! The bed was too soft for my liking (although it was huge). You also had to go an ask at the desk for wi-fi and movies (there is a DVD player but no in-room movies). The staff seemed great and I'm sure it would have been easy to sort out but both of these seem like things I should be able to sort out myself in the room. Why not leave the wi-fi code and at least a list of what movies they have in the room? Also, I had hoped that some of the idiosyncratic decor from downstairs would make it into the room. Once we'd made it through reception there wasn't really a feeling of being in a boutique hotel in Amsterdam, we could have been in a nice hotel anywhere in the world.

That said, this is a great hotel and we're glad we booked it

Room Tip: We booked direct with the hotel which was painless as they speak excellent English and you then then...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel JL No76? Share your experiences!