“Excellent Middle Age and World War tours” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Our tours are very much personalized because they are limited to 8 persons and guided by a qualified historian. Enjoy Amsterdam in the Golden Age (walking tour). Starting from Amsterdam, other tours discover the Middle Ages, WWI, and WWII. Examples of trips: A day in the Middle Ages (Bruges or Castle tour), Battlefields of WWI (Ypres), Retrace the Battle of Arnhem (Market Garden 1944).
San Diego, California
“Excellent Middle Age and World War tours”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

You can really tell that Murk enjoys what he does. He is knowledgable, well prepared, and personable. We took two tours with Murk, a day in the Middle Ages touring castles, then a three day tour covering both World Wars. We had four of the most informative and fun days. Murk is equally at home in either time. He occasionally related what we saw in the castles tour to what we were seeing during the World War tours. You can tell he just doesn't work from a script. He has thought long and hard about the history of the region and he cares that he relates the information to his guests in a way they will understand and appreciate. I studied European History in College and Murk brought back the wonder and excitement I felt way back then. I'm sure taking any tour with Murk would be the best way to really learn about what you are seeing.

And his Rolling Stone tour bag satchel just makes it even better.

Grahamstown, South Africa
“Operation Market Garden - day trip to Arnhem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Murk's attention to detail and in-depth knowledge of Operation Market Garden made for a memorable experience. He is an excellent host/guide in terms of administration and communication, but especially in terms of sharing willingly and generously. We have visited various battle sites in many countries, but Murk's tour surpasses all.

Pembroke, Malta
“Tour of WWII Operation Market Garden sites”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

My son and I enjoyed the Operation Market Garden tour with Murk tremendously. He provided us with a personalised tour of specific action points seen by the British First Airborne Division and the American 101st and 82nd Airborne Divisions around Arnhem and Nijmegen and was thoroughly prepared with a lot of information, maps and photos. He took us to the exact locations where specific actions took place, especially the ones that we were most interested in, and gave us detailed accounts of what took place there. He has a very charming manner of story telling and his explanations and accounts were clear and very easy to listen to and understand. Murk did a lot of research and was able to provide stories, details and photos found in military archives and answered all our questions with enthusiasm. He has also met a lot of veterans who provided him with additional details and accounts of their observations and experiences. He provides context of how things were at the time and of the main protagonists of the operations. He is very knowledgeable on the subject and tells it with a passion. I recommend Murk anytime for guided tours of this massive WWII operation.

Melbourne, Australia
“Murk's tour is brilliant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

We booked a tour with Murk and it was nothing short of fantastic. Murk spend the whole day taking us from site to site. We visiting Oosterbeek and Arnhem. He had vast knowledge of the areas and the battles fought there. Without his knowledge it would be a very hard effort to even know where these spots were let alone know the details of them. The cemetery is very moving. It's hard not to feel for those brave men that lie there. Murk allows generous time to see numerous sites and get a feel for the area. From the landing fields, the church with battle scars to the bridge itself. The airborne museum is very well presented and we didn't feel rushed at all.

Murk is a fantastic tour guide and if you have any interest in this history I would highly recommend you take a tour. You will not be disappointed!

I should have done this review months ago and as I was looking at some photos I remembered how brilliant that day was! Thanks Murk.

Visited August 2013
McKinney, Texas
“Market Garden Two Day Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

On my first trip to The Netherlands I booked a 2 day tour of the entire Market Garden area, Joe's Bridge to Arnhem, and I want to highly recommend the tour and especially my guide Murk. He picked me up at my hotel in Amsterdam and we were off on a highly educational, totally immersive, 100% authentic, and really fun adventure. So many of the drop zones and bridges are much the same as they were in 1944 making it easy to relive the battles. Murk's knowledge of the people, places, and actions is superb and he is an easy person to spend time with. The food was good, our hotel comfortable, but what made the tour special was Murk's taking me off the beaten path and into the woods to see ditches, foxholes, and memorials that you would never find without a good guide. I am planning to do other tours with Murk in the near future.

Visited February 2014