“Wonderful day with Murk. He researched the death of the father of a friend killed at Nijmegen and made the day personal!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of History Trips

History Trips
St. Gilleshof 36, 1066 PZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 284 Activities in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Owner description: Our tours are very much personalized because they are limited to 8 persons and guided by a qualified historian. Enjoy Amsterdam in the Golden Age (walking tour). Starting from Amsterdam, other tours discover the Middle Ages, WWI, and WWII. Examples of trips: A day in the Middle Ages (Bruges or Castle tour), Battlefields of WWI (Ypres), Retrace the Battle of Arnhem (Market Garden 1944).
Duluth, Minnesota
11 attraction reviews
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

The communication with Murk before our trip to Amsterdam was excellent. We so appreciated the extra research he did prior to our trip which made the day so very personal for us. He even picked us up at our hotel! The travel in the country-side of Holland was beautiful. Murk took us to a great museum along with a fun lunch at a cafe. I am so glad I took notes while we traveled. Those notes and the photos we took have allowed us to re-live our "history" day in Holland. We are actually planning another trip to Amsterdam so we can take one of the other tours that Murk provides. Just do it!

Visited September 2013

Sydney, Australia
4 attraction reviews
“Great tour of Operation Market Garden”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

This tour is for anyone for is interested in the second world war. We did this tour in early April of this year and found Murk full of information on the battle. Murk picked us up from our hotel on time and was enthusiastic tour guide and thought the day. We were the only ones on the tour this day and Murk's knowledge of the battle is excellent and he showed us the parachute drop zones as well as all the important points of the battle. Murk goes out of his way to ensure you have a great day. By the end of our tour we thought of Murk as more of a new friend than a tour guide. I would recommend this tour for anyone interested in the second world war.

Visited April 2013
Scarsdale, New York
7 attraction reviews
“Something Different from Usual Tourist Doings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is a wonderful tour, both in that it deals with a fascinating aspect of World War II and because Murk is a knowledgeable and enthusiastic tour guide who, by the end of the tour, seems more like your friend taking you around his favorite sites in Holland, than a paid tour guide. It is this latter aspect of the tour that sets it apart from others.
My wife and I wanted to see parts of the Netherlands other than Amsterdam and we contemplated going to Central Station and taking a train to either Delft or the Hague. However, we are well beyond our backpacking days and we didn't want to just float around aimlessly. Neither, however, did we want to be part of a group herded into a tour bus. This tour is the perfect alternative. Murk picked us up at our hotel and for the next eight hours he chauffeured just the two of us around Arnhem and neighboring areas. In addition to imparting fascinating information about the War and Operation Market Garden, he tells you about himself, his life, Dutch culture and politics. In fact, it is as if you are spending the day with a friend. While rationally I know that the core of the tour must be repeated from one tourist to the next, Murk tailors the itinerary to your needs and interests. At the conclusion of the tour Murk drops you off at your hotel, and you have seen parts of the Netherlands you never would have visited on your own, plus received an education not just in a World War II battle, but in the Netherlands in general. Best of all, you have made a friend in Murk. My wife and I highly recommend this tour.

Visited August 2013
Kent
“Murk the magnificent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

I ended up booking a last minute trip to Amsterdam and always like to do a walking tour when I am away. I emailed
Murk and he came back to me saying all of his tours were booked, his tour groups are only small, up to 8 people. However on his "day off" he offered me a private tour for 30 euros. What a bargain, in fact he earned himself 40 euros and a cup of coffee - even that felt a bit mean! One fact you must remember Murk is not a tour guide but a history guide who is an ex teacher with a history degree. He is well travelled and a delight to spend time with. I wanted to know about the early history of Amsterdam and Murk knows it all, pointing out buildings and features that I would never have noticed on my own. He is friendly and fun and he even managed to sneak me in to places that a tour would never be able to take me! Your trip will lack that certain special something if you don't spend time with Murk while you are in Amsterdam. Thanks Murk for making my time in Amsterdam so much fun, even in the pouring rain!

Visited September 2013
Denver, Colorado
“I had a personalized 1-1 trip reviewing the US paratroopers part of Market Garden”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Merk picked me up at my Hotel in Amsterdam and we drove over to the primary landing areas of the 101st Airborne near the key bridges of Best and Som.
He is very knowledgeable about the battle sites explaining in detail what happened at that site during the battle. Because of time we only covered the activities of the 101st. Paratroopers primary on their capture of two key bridges the Son and Best. We went to an outstanding military museum with one of the best collections of weapons and equipment. I wish I had more time there.
We visited a range of commemorative sites for the Airborne as well as former headquarters and landing sites (although as the sites today are covered in corn they are harder to visualize now from the past) The final stop was the site of a key battle featured in the Band of Brothers called the Cross roads. It was one of the highlights of the tour
Merk is very knowledgeable and included maps of the specific actions. My only criticism is we may have gotten a little too deep into the weeds with only the 101st not covering activity of the 82nd Airborne as we were running out of time. I enjoyed my tour with him and would recommend him to others.
If you do not do a tour check out the Museumpark Bevrijdende vleugels in Best. I believe its one of the best museums on WWII I have visited.

Visited August 2013