“Great Experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Our tours are very much personalized because they are limited to 8 persons and guided by a qualified historian. Enjoy Amsterdam in the Golden Age (walking tour). Starting from Amsterdam, other tours discover the Middle Ages, WWI, and WWII. Examples of trips: A day in the Middle Ages (Bruges or Castle tour), Battlefields of WWI (Ypres), Retrace the Battle of Arnhem (Market Garden 1944).
Naples
“Great Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Murk is very knowledgeable and willing to answer all of your questions. He even adjusted the tour due to my interest in Band of Brothers so he could show me the location of one of the scenes from the series. If you love history this is definitely worth it!

Rockville, Maryland
“A different view of Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Traditionally people we know take either a canal or bus tour of Amsterdam. Murk gives you a much more detailed view of the city and how it evolved the way it did. He does an excellent job in explaining all the different styles of architecture. He's also very flexible in modifying his itinerary to your special interests. It's a good start to a visit.

Visited April 2013
East Longmeadow, Massachusetts
24 attraction reviews
“Excellent tour of Amsterdam and its history”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This was supposed to be a 2 hour tour, but it lasted 3 hours because Murk, the guide, was so willing to answer every question and tell every story we wanted to hear. He is so well-informed and a great teacher. We learned so much about the Golden Age in Amsterdam. We highly recommend this tour!

UK
“Tour of Market Garden and Arnhem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I went on a day trip of Market Garden and Arnham with Murt. I have always been fascinated with the topic being a massive fan of the HBO series Band of Brothers.

Murk picked me up from my hotel promptly on time and I told him about my interest in Band of Brothers. Murt then told me that he could alter the days agenda slightly so that we could visit some infamous sites from 101st Airborne Divison operations.

The first place we went to was the site of the Crossroads fighting (Episode 5). The local area has not changed much since the war and one could picture the scene of the German machine guns set up on the crossroads and the recon mission by Winters and the subsequent firefight. I found this really interesting and along with Murks commentary I could picture it qite clearly in my mind.

We also visited other such battle sites and each has its own story. Murk explained everything clearly and he was happy to answer all of my questions. His enthusiasm of World War 2 history combat is evident and he seemed really pleased to discuss the battles themselves and the backgrounds to them.

We also went to the 101st Airborne history musuem (Murk pays for this as part of the fee for the day). During the day, we stopped at a lovely traditional Dutch cafe for coffee.

Murk picked me up at 9am and the tour concluded at 6pm; it was then a one hour drive back to the city centre. Murk even asked me if i wanted to visit the military cemetery as well but the evening was getting late and it was raining. This just shows how keen Murk is and he is more concerned about you having a great time than anything else.

I will contact Murk when I am in France or other European arenas of WW2 conflict and hopefully Murk will be available to give another tour!!

I have to give 5 out of 5 stars. Great informative tour and a lovely bloke.

Reading, United Kingdom
“Market Garden Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

My brother and I took a full one day tour with Murk covering Operation Market Garden in Arnhem. The tour included all of the key areas including the cemetery, the drop zones, the Airborne museum and the main areas of the battlefield and of course the bridge.

Murk's knowledge of the battlefield is superb and together with his use of maps and photos gave us a really full insight into those tragic days in 1944. The tour with Murk is quite frankly superb. It is fascinating and highly enjoyable, and a real must for anyone interested in military history.

We would highly recommend this to anyone wishing to understand the events that took place in Arnhem. This for a full on day was really great value.