“Amsterdam - Golden Age” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 289 Activities in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Owner description: Our tours are very much personalized because they are limited to 8 persons and guided by a qualified historian. Enjoy Amsterdam in the Golden Age (walking tour). Starting from Amsterdam, other tours discover the Middle Ages, WWI, and WWII. Examples of trips: A day in the Middle Ages (Bruges or Castle tour), Battlefields of WWI (Ypres), Retrace the Battle of Arnhem (Market Garden 1944).
Salvador, BA
“Amsterdam - Golden Age”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Thanks to Murk. Excellent tour. Our eyes were opened by Murk to see the history of the city. We strongly recommend.

Visited May 2013

Baltimore
11 attraction reviews
“"Amsterdam in The Golden Age" - A fascinating tour given by a great guide.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My wife and I took this guided tour with Murk at the beginning of our 4-day stay in Amsterdam in April, 2013. To be honest, it's the first time I've ever arranged such a tour; we usually find our own way around a city which we happen to be visiting, guide book in hand, but Murk had received such great reviews that I thought it would be a good idea to seek out his knowledge. I'm so glad we did; we saw and learned so much that we would otherwise have missed, and we came away with a much greater appreciation of the history, architecture and customs of this great city. Murk limits the numbers on his tour groups so that you really get to interact and ask questions; on this occasion, it was just the two of us with Murk. As retired teachers ourselves, we appreciated Murk's ability to make the subject matter extremely interesting and vivid. (Murk has over 30 years of experience as a History teacher, so he knows his subject matter thoroughly.) We spent 3 hours with him; he really went out of his way to impart his knowledge of the city to us. I can thoroughly recommend Murk as a great tour guide, one from whom you will learn a great deal, no matter which tour you choose to take with him.
Richard Johnson (Baltimore, MD, USA)

Visited April 2013
Ourimbah, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Market Garden Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My wife and I did the one day Market Garden tour with Murk on the 5/3/13. Murk's knowledge of the battles that made this operation a "Bridge too Far" was incredible. We visited the drop zones and sites of the all the major battles including the Airborn museum and cemetery, a great day. If you are interested in following in the footsteps of those that took part in Operation Market Garden, there is no better person to do it with than Murk, he was outstanding.

Visited March 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Market Garden Tour: Awesome.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

What can i say about Murk. Besides the fact that he was awesome! I mean i call up this guy basically the day before i am looking for a trip. We trade a ton of emails and logistical planning, and finally, decide on a way to get the job done. I meet him on the outskirts of Amsterdam at the tram, and off we go for an accelerated and last minute tour of the battle grounds. To say it was a joy was an understatement. We hit all the major areas, walked the same paths as the heroes who fought there, talked history all day long, shared a few laughs, and then parted ways after the bridge as I trained to the Hague from there. A nicer local I have not met, and a more experienced tour guide I have yet to encounter. If you're into military history, do this tour. it was by far the highlight of my trip!

Visited January 2013
Pennington, New Jersey
“A fascinating day in Brugge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

My husband, college-aged son and I spent a remarkable day with Murk in Brugge. We'd debated about taking the train and seeing this well preserved Medieval town on our own as our one day out of Amsterdam during a six night stay but decided that our visit would be more enjoyable with a guide-- and it certainly was! As someone else indicated, Murk picked us up promptly at our apartment and he was easy to talk with during the 3 hour car ride to Brugge. He and my husband spent some time discussing the Rolling Stones! In the US we think a building is old if it dates from the 1700s so we were awed by the buildings dating from much earlier. Standing in the middle of the Markt was breathtaking as were the sights around every corner. We learned so much about how trade flourished there and it was great hearing Murk's expertise on the Flemish Primitives.
It was definitely a long day but so worthwhile!!