“Perfect Historic day trip from Amsterdam” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Our tours are very much personalized because they are limited to 8 persons and guided by a qualified historian. Enjoy Amsterdam in the Golden Age (walking tour). Starting from Amsterdam, other tours discover the Middle Ages, WWI, and WWII. Examples of trips: A day in the Middle Ages (Bruges or Castle tour), Battlefields of WWI (Ypres), Retrace the Battle of Arnhem (Market Garden 1944).
never never land
6 attraction reviews
“Perfect Historic day trip from Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I chose to do the battlefield tour of Operation Market Garden leaving from Amsterdam. Murk picked me up at my hotel in the center of Amsterdam and away we went. I thought this tour was especially appealing since I was by myself. We visited many sites in Holland pertaining to Operation Market Garden and Murk knew everything there was to know about them and we ended up spending the full day touring it all. Choosing to go with Murk was a great choice as it was more of a personable experience too. He told me about his personal experiences in the area and his love for music and all the places he has traveled to and his future trips he wants to set up. I could tell that Murk really enjoyed doing this tour even though I'm sure he has done it many times. I learned alot about Market Garden from this trip and I really thank Murk for this.

Visited November 2012

“Awesome tour of the Operation Market Garden battle field.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

My partner and I did the market garden tour with Murk in November and it was amazing. Even though there was know tour scheduled for the day that we were available, Murk was more than happy to rearrange his schedule so we could do the tour.
Murk's knowledge of the operation was second to none. He was very informative whilst keeping the tour really interesting for the whole duration.

Top top it off he also recommended heaps of sights to see in Berlin which was our next destination.

We both highly recommend any of Murk's tours to anyone interested in history, as we went in with little knowledge and thoroughly enjoyed the tour.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Excellent tour of Arnhem battlefield”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

A most interesting and full day excursion from Amsterdam to the various points of action in the Arnhem battle fields of Operation Market Garden. Murk is to be congratulated on bringing the story together with maps and stories to illuminate the events over those fateful days in September 1944. Highly recommend this to those who want a better understanding of the events on the ground around Arnhem.

Visited November 2012
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Something a little different...and well worth it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Murk put on custom made WW2 tour of Amsterdam for my 2 children (10 and 13) and I. In spite of the bitter cold, he kept us enraptured and brought the history books to life. It was amazing to be in a city which really hasn't changed in 400 years, let alone in the last 60. He showed us photographs from the war which were taken exactly where we were standing, this gave us a real feeling of how things happened. Murk kept the tone just right for the children and in between historical stops told us some stories about the 17th century and his daily life in the 21st. We would love to go on one of his battlefield tours. Maybe someday....

Visited October 2012
Lismore, Australia
“Fantastic walking tours of Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My mother and I had the pleasure recently of joining Murk on two of his tours -The 'Jordaan' District and Amsterdam in the Goldenn Age. Both were really interesting. The Jordaan district tour gave an insight into this 'neighbourhood' and is 'fortunes' over the years. It was nice to do something different from the standard 'old quarter, red light' content. And the Amsterdam in the Golden Age provided a good orientation to older parts of town as well as fascinating insights into the citys growth and fortunes over the years. Would recommend highly this company if you are looking for something that provides something other than the standard 'tourist fare'. Murk was very helpful and adapted the tour to meet our needs and was very considerate of my mothers age and need to take the pace a bit slower

Visited August 2012