“Modern and cosy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Notting Hill

Save Saved
You added Hotel Notting Hill to your Saves list
Hotel Notting Hill
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Westeinde 26, 1017 ZP Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #42 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Boston, Massachusetts
“Modern and cosy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

If you take the more expensive rooms, there are lovely.

Just be aware that from the third floor up, the windows are small, high (hard to see outside with standing on your tiptoe) and, worse, they don't open at all. The combination is that you feel like being in a shoebox.
It's a pity because everything is clean, good-taste deco and extremely professional staff (efficient, kind)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

420 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Turkish first
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Could not have been happier selecting NH. The tram (#4 or #25) drops you off at the front door and they run about every 5-6 minutes to and from the Central Station and surrounding areas. Since the hotel is new everything is in great condition. The bed was the most comfortable bed my husband and I ever slept in as we are now trying to get one in the US. My only caution is the bedroom/bathroom window - the wall between is separated by a window shade and is otherwise open between so it is not the most private - make sure you are comfortable with your roommate.

Internet is free in the room and lobby and the hotel provide a MAC computer in the lobby for guest use for free.

Room Tip: I would not book a room on the lower level (-1 level) as you are underground with a small upper wind...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

Especily and exclusive, I recomend for everybody, the service guess go anything do you want

• Stayed May 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

We only stayed in this hotel one night after returning from a cruise out of Oslo. Loved the hotel, the automation features appealed to the Geek girl that I am, the location made me feel like I was part of the city and the staff and cleanliness of the room made me feel safe. Would definately stay here again. Convient to the trams which allowed you to move easily within the city.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Great hotel in Amsterdam. Very clean, upscale rooms. Efficient staff and service. Within a 30 minute walk from just about anywhere you would want to go in the city.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I booked this as a mystery hotel on wotif as a last minute option due to me missing my flight from Schipol. I paid less than 100 Euros a night so didn't expect the World. Upon arrival I was very pleasantly surprised though! The decor of the hotel is just to my taste. Everything seemed very new and clean. I was given a choice of rooms on the upper or lower levels. I actually preferred the room with a bath on the lower level and so chose that. Yes, it's not as private but you can always draw the blinds... The room was very well appointed - comfortable bed, minibar, nespresso machine, flat screen TV, large bath, separate rain shower etc'. I found the area nice with a market around the corner, the boutique shopping lanes close by and museums also nearby. The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. I was given a courtesy drink upon arrival and a voucher for another in the bar. I was even asked which nespresso coffee I preferred and was given many more the same day without even waiting for house keeping to re-stock when the room was cleaned. The slight privacy issue of the room I had aside I really can not fault this hotel or the staff at all during my stay. Well recommended!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Lake Orion, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012 via mobile

This is a nicely decorated hotel which shows well at first sight. It is in a quiet location that is close to tram and metro stops. It is a short 10 min walk to the Heineken experience, museumplein with Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh Museum. It's also a lovely walk up the canals to the seven bridges area.

My biggest disappointment, and from reading other reviews I see I'm not alone, is accepting a room in the lower level of the hotel. I think this may be called the souleterrain. I booked a double deluxe room online which was $40 more than the single deluxe. My sole purpose was to avoid the lowest level based on other reviews.

I checked in early around 10am but since the hotel was sold out the previous night I registered and left my bags for the 3pm check in. Upon my return, I was brought to a room in the lower level. I told the lady checking me in that I had the deluxe room and that I had requested to be on an upper floor. She assured me this was the room I had booked. She also told me that the rooms on the upper floors were more expensive than the one I had chosen and that the top level was an executive suite. There were two room options online (not on Notting Hills website) and neither mentioned the lower level. Anyway, I accepted because I didn't know any better and it sounded as if the other rooms were significantly different.

This was a mistake. The room was really adorable and the pictures depict the nice welcoming decor. I loved the bed, the nespresso machine and the free wi-fi. I didn't like the location of the room at all! Inside, there was a sewer or canal sort of smell in the room. It wasn't constant but it seemed to come and go and was quite awful. Directly outside my window was the "garden" which was a small stone patio where the employees came to talk and smoke with coworkers. They were clearly visible through the curtain (I'm confident they could see in as well as I could see out) as they sat nearly on the window ledge. This was the "garden view."

The bar area was a nice spot to spend time surfing the web or chatting with friends. The staff was very nice and helpful. the breakfast buffet was good but you could also order eggs to your liking. I think the cost of 20€ was pricey.

Upon checkout the following day, I inquired about the rooms upstairs. After looking through booking papers, the employee realized that I had in fact been placed in the wrong room. When I told her I had paid $40 more she said oh no, its only 6€ difference. According to her, companies can post their own rates which are not the same as the hotel's rates. I understand that but $40 vs $10 seems drastic. She said she would be making a note in my file for the next time I stayed that MAYBE they would be able to do something nice for me. I honestly don't know that I'll come back. The physical aspects of the hotel were lovely but the failed customer service was very disappointing.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Notting Hill? Share your experiences!