“Great hotel, good location.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Notting Hill

Save Saved
You added Hotel Notting Hill to your Saves list
Hotel Notting Hill
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Westeinde 26, 1017 ZP Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #41 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Ontario, Canada
“Great hotel, good location.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Great hotel in Amsterdam. Very clean, upscale rooms. Efficient staff and service. Within a 30 minute walk from just about anywhere you would want to go in the city.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I booked this as a mystery hotel on wotif as a last minute option due to me missing my flight from Schipol. I paid less than 100 Euros a night so didn't expect the World. Upon arrival I was very pleasantly surprised though! The decor of the hotel is just to my taste. Everything seemed very new and clean. I was given a choice of rooms on the upper or lower levels. I actually preferred the room with a bath on the lower level and so chose that. Yes, it's not as private but you can always draw the blinds... The room was very well appointed - comfortable bed, minibar, nespresso machine, flat screen TV, large bath, separate rain shower etc'. I found the area nice with a market around the corner, the boutique shopping lanes close by and museums also nearby. The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. I was given a courtesy drink upon arrival and a voucher for another in the bar. I was even asked which nespresso coffee I preferred and was given many more the same day without even waiting for house keeping to re-stock when the room was cleaned. The slight privacy issue of the room I had aside I really can not fault this hotel or the staff at all during my stay. Well recommended!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Lake Orion, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012 via mobile

This is a nicely decorated hotel which shows well at first sight. It is in a quiet location that is close to tram and metro stops. It is a short 10 min walk to the Heineken experience, museumplein with Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh Museum. It's also a lovely walk up the canals to the seven bridges area.

My biggest disappointment, and from reading other reviews I see I'm not alone, is accepting a room in the lower level of the hotel. I think this may be called the souleterrain. I booked a double deluxe room online which was $40 more than the single deluxe. My sole purpose was to avoid the lowest level based on other reviews.

I checked in early around 10am but since the hotel was sold out the previous night I registered and left my bags for the 3pm check in. Upon my return, I was brought to a room in the lower level. I told the lady checking me in that I had the deluxe room and that I had requested to be on an upper floor. She assured me this was the room I had booked. She also told me that the rooms on the upper floors were more expensive than the one I had chosen and that the top level was an executive suite. There were two room options online (not on Notting Hills website) and neither mentioned the lower level. Anyway, I accepted because I didn't know any better and it sounded as if the other rooms were significantly different.

This was a mistake. The room was really adorable and the pictures depict the nice welcoming decor. I loved the bed, the nespresso machine and the free wi-fi. I didn't like the location of the room at all! Inside, there was a sewer or canal sort of smell in the room. It wasn't constant but it seemed to come and go and was quite awful. Directly outside my window was the "garden" which was a small stone patio where the employees came to talk and smoke with coworkers. They were clearly visible through the curtain (I'm confident they could see in as well as I could see out) as they sat nearly on the window ledge. This was the "garden view."

The bar area was a nice spot to spend time surfing the web or chatting with friends. The staff was very nice and helpful. the breakfast buffet was good but you could also order eggs to your liking. I think the cost of 20€ was pricey.

Upon checkout the following day, I inquired about the rooms upstairs. After looking through booking papers, the employee realized that I had in fact been placed in the wrong room. When I told her I had paid $40 more she said oh no, its only 6€ difference. According to her, companies can post their own rates which are not the same as the hotel's rates. I understand that but $40 vs $10 seems drastic. She said she would be making a note in my file for the next time I stayed that MAYBE they would be able to do something nice for me. I honestly don't know that I'll come back. The physical aspects of the hotel were lovely but the failed customer service was very disappointing.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

I can highly recommend Hotel Notting Hill, it’s a gorgeous new hotel in a great part of Amsterdam, not too far from the main attractions but far enough to escape the crowds.

On arrival it was very busy as it was 11am and this is check out time. We were disappointed that after 10 mins of waiting another man was rudely allowed to jump the queue in front of us because he was a local speaking their language, this I found to be very rude and unprofessional of the hotel staff not to notice that we were waiting next to be served. After this blip the check in was smooth but the room wasn't ready because we were so early, instead we left our luggage and went off into the City.
When we arrived back later we found out that our room was downstairs in the basement when I had requested a high level room, when I went up to reception to ask if there were any other rooms available, I was told 'No this is the room you booked, our cheapest room, you did not pay for the more expensive rooms which are on a higher level.' I explained that I wasn't given an option to upgrade or chose which room rate I wanted to pay when booking online, but clearly told 'No you paid cheapest price and these rooms are all in the basement, we have no expensive rooms available till tomorrow and then it will cost you 55euros more' I felt the tone in which she spoke was as if she didn't think we could afford this. We decided to give the room a try as we had no other options, the room still was fine, not too big and enough for our 2 night stay just a bit dark and not nice having tables and chairs from the hotel bar right outside the window, but because it was quite cold thankfully no one sat there, I can imagine in the summer this can get busy because its next to the canal so could be noisy. The bed had the most comfortable mattress topper I've ever slept in and managed to get 2 good night’s sleep which is unusual for me as I don't sleep well in hotels due to noise. The bathroom was very modern and had a nice big shower in there, only disappointment which is minor was on the 2nd day when they cleaned the room they didn't replenish the shower cap and other toiletries we’d used the night before. Breakfast was tasty and plentiful and the staff very helpful.

Room Tip: Try to find the option to allow you to chose a room on a higher level, I imagine in the summer being...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
NottingManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Notting Hill, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for leaving us your comment. Your feedback is very helpful and valuable for us to optimize our service.
I am very sorry to hear that you experienced that an associate has approached you wrongly, by not asking whether you would like to have an upgrade to a higher floor; and that this has come across completely wrong. This is not how we treat our guests and therefore I do apologize about this situation! We will share your experience with the team.
Our aim is to fulfill wishes as good as possible.
I hope that despite of this, you have enjoyed your stay.

Best regards
F. Bogaert
Hotel Notting Hill
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

This hotel is definitely worth the stay. The staff are incredibly welcoming and service is prompt. The hotel lobby is very well decorated and the rooms are pretty, even if a bit small.
This is understated luxury. Hotel location is good for Rijsmuseum and Van Gogh museum, and great restaurant and shopping area.
Easy to get to Dam square and Centraal Station on the tram: 10-15mins.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We booked an apartment for the weekend in Amsterdam six months ago for our 25th wedding anniversary and took along another couple.The apartment was just so awful and dirty and we couldn't stay there,and so found ourselves homeless late Friday night.We went into the Notting Hill hotel and explained our predicament,they were so kind and helpful to us.They found accommodation for one couple nearby for the first night at another nice hotel and for all of us at the Notting Hill on the second.Complimentary wine arrived at our room to cheer us up as I had been visibly upset,and the service throughout was second to none.Add to that the fact that it is a beautiful hotel,the decor is so tasteful,our holiday actually turned out to be a great experience.Well done Notting Hill and thank you!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
NottingManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Notting Hill, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Dear Angela,

thank you for your great words about our Hotel! Good to hear you had a great experience celebrating your 25th Wedding Anniversary with us. If you want to come to Amsterdam again please let us know.

All the best!
Team Hotel Notting Hill Amsterdam
Geneva
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

My husband and I, with our daughter of 2.5 years, have stayed at Notting Hill hôtel 4 nights in April 2012.
The hôtel is brand new, very modern with a nice design.
The room was very big and very clean. We were lucky to have the view on the canal.
The breakfast was splendid, with fresh orange juice and plenty of choice to start the day in good conditions...
The staff was very kind, specially with our little daughter, and it helped us in finding some goods restaurants in the area and booking them for us.
We want to thank you the staff for this fabulous stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view on the canal !
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Notting Hill? Share your experiences!