“Excellent place with a breathtaking view” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jackie O Bed & Breakfast

Save Saved
You added Jackie O Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
Jackie O Bed & Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Bloemgracht 73, 1069 KG Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #52 of 303 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Madrid, España
“Excellent place with a breathtaking view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We've stayed a long weekend recently in Jackie O B&B and all I can say is “Just too marvelous”. We were delighted with the studio (full of light and comfort) but also with the views and the neighborhood. It is a nice area of the city, very quiet but plenty of restaurants. Jackie O B&B is just a couple of steps away from the Anna Frank Museum and 10-15 minutes walking to the center, which is a nice walk.
At the time we met Jackie we confirmed what we had read in the visitors’ opinions. She is such a wonderful host! She gave us a warm welcome and lots of valuable advices. In short words, she made life easy for us.
Jackie has been one of the best parts of our stay. Without her it could not had been the same. We hope to come back very, very soon!!
Virginia (Madrid)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

36 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We hate to tell anyone about this place for fear we'll never get in again. Jackie is so wonderful, you feel like a special friend. Hi also to her adorable dog! The room is lovely, great view, great location in the Jordaan. Can't imagine staying anywhere else. We only wish we were there longer. Thanks, Jackie. We'll be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Papa, Hungary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My first visit to Amsterdam was business related and I had little time to plan what to see, what to do and where to stay. My business accomodations were in the Ibis Stopera at Valkenburgerstraat 68, a reasonably priced accomodation in the City Center that I would have been fine remaining at, but they had no room at the Inn for RussellK105 for the weekend portion of my stay. After looking at a multitude of hotel options both in the city center, and outside, I was not comfortable with my available options as there was an imbalance in the (price/value/amenities/location). Eventually, I began to look at B&B options and stumbled upon the positive reviews about Jackie O B&B. It was not far from my business location, still in city center, the price was right, and the Jordaan district offered a lot of possibilities for wandering, beverages, cuisine, and entertainment within reasonable distance. Anyway, the best thing about Jackie O B&B, is Jackie O...she's got personality, is easy to talk to and is so, so very helpful in helping you identify places of interest to go based on what you tell her about yourself. The second best thing about JOBB is the view from the room...beautiful, relaxing, view of the Bloemgracht canal had me inclined to stay in, drink tea, catch up on my reading and snooze on the comfortable bed. The room has a microwave/convexion oven, free, highspeed internet, a selection of quality teas, a capuccino machine and selection of capuccino choices. There's also a small refrigerator with a complimentary bottle of white wine and if you snoop long enough, you will discover a decent quantity of the traditional Dutch waffle biscuits. After working out the logistics related to check-in and arrival, I mentioned to Jackie that I was interested in dining at a good seafood restaurant, a comfortable neighborhood pub and/or coffehouse and making my way to hear some good live music, preferably jazz, latin, or blues. When I arrived, Jackie had gone well beyond the call of duty in researching my interests and finding 1, 2, or 3 options for me to check into. She proceeded to tell me about many other interesting places to watch a movie on the waterfront, or do some waterfront dining, checkout a local weekend market, and where to sample Dutch treats, or other international cuisine. She explained some of the traditions related to celebrating the Queen's (King's ) Birthday and gave me the 411 on then Princess, now Queen Maxima. In my 30-50 minute conversation with Jackie, I learned much more about Amsterdam and life in the Netherlands than I could have reading a complete tourist guide...by the way, she has several tourists guides available in at least 2 or 3 different languages. I could go on, but suffice it to say, that if you do not require someone to cook breakfast, or typical hotel infrastructure and services, you cannot go wrong staying at JOBB. I'm a very satisfied customer and will be back to experience more of Amsterdam. If I had one negative, it's that I must have stayed during one of the coldest spells Jackie could recall...the room is not well insulated, though there are plenty of blankets...I had to keep playing with the thermostat, but Jackie does have a portable heater she will bring to the room in extreme cold temperatures.

Room Tip: If you are coming straight from Schiphol and need transport to a major hotel, look into the Conexxio...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Jackie O's deserves glowing reviews. This is by far the best place I've stayed in Europe. I am incredibly picky and have stayed at 12 hotels/B&Bs in Europe. This was cleaner, more spacious, and more comfortable than any. This is the first room my husband and I have ever wanted to just "hang out" in--and that's saying a lot considering the many great attractions in Amsterdam. Staying here lets you feel like you're living with the locals in a quiet Amsterdam neighborhood. You have your own separate entrance and your own space, so there's tons of privacy.
When we arrived, Jackie invited us in for tea and coffee and gave us a bunch of tips about attractions. She was happy to store our luggage, as it was about 9 a.m. when we arrived. Throughout the week, Jackie cleaned up our room promptly and provided us with all the possible comforts. She has thought of EVERYTHING in the room--if you need it, you'll likely find it there.
Jackie puts together a fantastic breakfast. There's yogurt, eggs, honey, cereal, meat, cheese, bread, tea, coffee, jam, chocolate sprinkles!, and more. She has also provided a list of restaurant suggestions. We used the list almost every day and never ate anything we didn't like.
I would never stay anywhere else in Amsterdam. Thank you, Jackie!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

What a fantastic place to stay.

Jackie O's is a true bed and breakfast that is quaint, cozy, comfortable, and quiet. Tucked away on Bloemgracht, a sleepy canal in the heart of the Jordaan, this place was among the best places I've ever stayed in Europe.

Jackie herself was quite welcoming when we arrived and warmly guided us through all of the informative materials waiting for us in the room. Maps, lists of recommended restaurants and bars, things to do, etc. She had forgotten to get us fresh flowers for the table before we arrived and refused to forgive herself, bringing us fresh flowers within hours of our settling in. A bottle of wine was waiting for us in the fridge, and she also had a sweet and friendly dog, Ziggy, who came down to say hello (which was welcomed as our animals were thousands of miles away).

73 Bloemgracht is a small canal house with four apartments. Two belong to residents, one on the third floor was Jackie's private residence, and one on the second floor was the single B+B room. Living there for a few days was a real taste of living as a local in Amsterdam as opposed to a touristy hotel experience.

The room is very spacious with a large queen-sized bed (split mattress, unfortunately), a kitchenette with a little dining table (a true breakfast nook if I've ever seen one), a bathroom, and a cozy chair for reading. The entire north side of the apartment is windows looking down onto the canal with a padded bench seat.

The kitchenette came prepared with a fridge, sink, microwave, dishes, and coffee/espresso machine with little single-serve packets. We opted for the breakfast option our first day. Unlike a more traditional B+B where breakfast is a fully prepared affair, Jackie simply goes to the market and returns with a whole array of local foods to be prepared in the room on your own. This turned out to be a terrific thing. Fresh breads in a basket, ham and local cheeses, yogurt, milk, orange juice, eggs, jams, a big thing of chocolate sprinkles, etc. It was a surprisingly large amount of food and it actually lasted us a few days.

The location of this place is untouchable. Jackie O's is in the heart of the Jordaan, a quaint and upscale neighborhood west of the heart of Amsterdam. Walking to the central station or the red light district, for example, could take about thirty minutes. But as we explored town on bikes, which is by far the best way to explore Amsterdam, everything was mere minutes away. Also the more we explored the more we wanted to explore the Jordaan. The interior of the city (Centrum) is as dense and bustling as any other major city with lots of people and lots of shops and lots of noise. The Jordaan, by comparison, is chock full of little shops and restaurants that were top notch but hidden away. As the majority of the buildings are residences the streets were quieter and zipping around the Jordaan on bikes to find an ice cream parlor or a curio shop was the most fun thing we did. It really felt like true Amsterdam as it is experienced by the locals every day, not the touristy veneer one would find in Centrum.

Quick aside - across the canal and a block or so down is Bike City, a very affordable bike rental place with simple black bikes that were comfortable and very practical. Fifteen Euros a day. If you stay at Jackie O's this is far and away the best way to get around town and the close proximity to the apartment made getting and returning the bikes very simple and convenient.

Well before we left I knew we would be back to Amsterdam (because it such a charming city) and that when we return we will definitely be staying at Jackie O's again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

For once a b&b that has everything you need, where you need it, plenty of space, and what a wonderful spot, with long windows giving a fantastic view of the canal. The location is fantastic, with great places to eat and drink nearby. The kitchenette also means you can eat in if you like, and a good coffee machine is kept well supplied. Hoe never to have to stay elsewhere when I come back.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

In a city of overpriced, less-than accommodations, Jackie O Bed and Breakfast is a wonderful find and a great value. Jackie, the owner, goes out of her way to make her guests feel welcome and comfortable. When my husband arrived in the early morning, Jackie invited us in to her apartment for a rest and let us leave our luggage there while we toured the city. The room wasn't available till later, but the break was welcome since we had just had a long flight. When we returned that afternoon, we found the room pleasing and comfortable. Lots of light from the large windows, comfortable bed, kitchenette with all the needed supplies, and a spotless bathroom. There were many thoughtful touches, such as a bowlful of tasty fruit, a plug converter and some cookies. We stayed three nights and liked the location as well - close to the sights but on a quieter street. Many thanks to Jackie O for making our Amsterdam stay a memorable one.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Jackie O Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!