“First time eating Ethiopian” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Azmarino

Ranked #647 of 2,322 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: African
Good for: Outdoor seating
Description: Specialising in East African cuisine, Restaurant Azmarino is set in the Pijp district of Amsterdam, near to Sarphatipark and the famous Albert Cuyp market. Dishes at this Amsterdam restaurant are based largely on Ethiopian and Eritrean cuisine, with meat dishes of differing strengths of flavour featuring heavily. All are served with vegetables and 'enjera', a typical sourdough pancake. Here, you also eat the traditional way - with only your hands. Also typical of East Africa is the beer, served in a gourd. Arguably one of the more unusual restaurants in Amsterdam, Restaurant Azmarino offers a little taste of Africa in the heart of the city.
Co Durham
“First time eating Ethiopian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We enjoyed our visit to Azmarino, the service, food and welcome was really good. We decided to have the chefs choice which was great value. In particular we both enjoyed the meat dishes more than the vegetarian ones. The 'enjera' pancakes were great and made eating with our hands an interesting experience. The food was certainly original and the chef was happy to talk us through the dishes as the restaurant was quiet. We washed down our meal with the coconut and banana beers, delightful. Would we return? Yes! Though next time we'd be selective of the dishes we really enjoyed the most.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Great staff, great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Yes, Azmarino isn't a loud and crowded place, but that I liked the most there.
The staff was complaintless friendly and smiling and arranged us a nice mixed plate of the best food.
It was my first time drinking beer out of a coconut and eating with my fingers and it has been one of my best experiences so far.
Can't recommend this place highly enough!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“You can't go wrong, this is a Top Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Once a friend wanted to suggest me his favorite African restaurant in Amsterdam. When I mentioned my favorite African restaurant (next to where I live) it turned out that we were both talking about the same one, namely Azmarino in the multi-cultural district 'de Pijp', yet far away from all the hassle.
You can choose any selection you prefer..you cannot go wrong, both vegetarian and meat dishes offer a great combination of food: stuffed beef, lamb, chicken, chickpeas, pumpkin, spinach, etc. are all finely chopped and spiced the African way.
Recently renewed, this place offers a unique style: me and my girlfriend are regular guests, we just love it!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Waterford, Ireland
“Great Restaurant Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

A friend said we should try Azmarino Restaurant when in Amsterdam. We had a nice experience and lovely tasty food, plenty of spice and I would encourage people to be adventuras and give it a try.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Zagreb
“Just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

After reading other reviews, I thought this was an excellent restaurant. But when we came, the place was completely empty, no music. The waiter was friendly but the food..hm…it was just ok, not great.

• Visited April 2013