“Nearly excellent” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Orlando

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Orlando
Save Saved
You added Hotel Orlando to your Saves list
Prinsengracht 1099, 1017 JH Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Ranked #51 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
New Hampshire
“Nearly excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

I would give five stars if not for a couple of issues, 1) poor lighting in room and 2) insufficient sound insulation.

To be clear, I would stay here again and highly recommend it. I only mention the issues that kept me from giving the highest rating in case it helps someone else.

The hotel has a fantastic location, and is generally quiet yet very close to RemBrandt square.

We stayed four nights in room 114, very conveniently located on the ground floor, so we did not have stairs within the building. The room itself is very large for European standards. The room has high ceilings, well decorated, very clean. The bathroom is also large and well lit.

The lighting issues may not impact everyone. The switch for the bathroom light is outside of the bathroom, so using it during the night risks waking a light sleeper in the room. There is not a good outlet in the bathroom, and I do not like using hotel provided hair dryers, so I had to dry my hair in the main room. While there is a very large window overlooking the garden, the sun does not provide enough lighting. We found the room too dim for some tasks.

Second, the person above use on the next floor had heavy footsteps and woke us up each morning. But we are light sleepers, so this may it impact every person.

The hotel manager and especially Rose are friendly. They called for a taxi for us and provided good suggestions.

The breakfast is very good. You serve yourself cereal and fruit, but arose typically serves a plate of meats and cheeses, offers coffee or tea, offers boiled eggs. There is a variety of tea on the table as well as yogurt. This is all well presented and pleasant, which enhanced our stay.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

134 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Stockholm
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We were a group of four women staying in the two rooms located in the basement (half basement, with windows). The tempo of this small hotel was just perfect for us and the staff at the hotel were very helpful and reliable. The hotel is about a 15-20 minute walk to the van Gogh museum, or going in the other direction, the Nine Streets shopping district. It is at the far end of Prinsengracht so it is a bit quieter. The hotel did not get full marks because of a certain amount of noise from footsteps from the rooms above, it is an old renovated house and I suspect there is only so much that can be done to soundproof. But generally I was quite charmed and the hotel felt very relaxed and homey - it will be my hotel of choice on all future trips to Amsterdam.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper avoid the two basement rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Holywood
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I recently stayed in Hotel Orlando. It is beautifully positioned beside a canal and is surrounded by lovely shops , restaurants and cafés.
From our room we had a superb view of boats going by on the canal.
Tram no 4 brings you to central station or one could take a leisurely 30 min stroke into the centre.
Paul and Rose made us very welcome.

Room Tip: Room 117 was really lovely
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Very much enjoyed our stay in late August (2013) here. The host was friendly and the location is perfect. We were in one room initially which was on the small side, but very quiet. The larger room faced the street, was lovely but a little noisy.
Breakfast was terrific.
We'd stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Maldon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed for a 3 night break in Sept 2013. (3 couples in our group.)
We were delighted with our choice and were all pleased with our rooms. All were excellent.
The location is in a very pleasant area and is quiet at night whilst being only a short trip from all the sights.
Its significant that Prinsengracht is itself rated highly in the TA "things to do " listing.
There is a very good selection of restaurants within walking distance.
The breakfast was very good and served in a "kitchen like" breakfast room.
We would certainly return if visiting Amsterdam on another occasion.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms may be preferred however the basement is fine and priced slightly lower. We w...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

In my view, Hotel Orlando is more of a bed and breakfast than a hotel (not that there's anything wrong with that!). It's located in a lovely canal house on Prinsengracht, where they rent a handful of rooms. I visited during Gay Pride week at the end of July 2013 and was concerned that the *very* loud music and partying Friday night would keep me awake, but I needn't have worried. I literally heard no noise from the street or surrounding neighborhood in basement room 111.

Paul, the owner, is ably assisted during breakfast by Rose. Breakfast was pretty typical for Europe: coffee, tea, juice, croissants and assorted breads, a boiled egg cooked to order if desired, sliced cheese and ham, yogurt, and cereal. Rose serves breakfast to each table and also offered to help me with online ticket purchases of Anne Frank House and bicycle rental.

I booked this room directly through their website and appreciated the prompt email communication from the owner. I stayed two nights and would stay on this property next time I visit. I easily traveled from the airport to the central train station and hopped on a tram, which stopped half a block from the B&B.

Room Tip: Room 111 is a nice room. Earlier reviews complained of mold in the bathroom, but that problem has b...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband, 14 yr old son, and myself stayed @ Hotel Orlando for 2 nights early July. We arrived by train ,and got the tram to Paul's lovely canal house, which was not too difficult to find.We were allocated room 112, (the basement room,) very spacious, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was also spacious and clean, and quite modern. Breakfast was good,assorted breads, croissants, ham,cheese,coffee, hot chocolate, fruit.( we had to miss out on breaky our 2nd morning as we had an early train to catch )We used the trams to get around to the various sights, and the tram stop was a minute walk away from Hotel Orlando.It was a quiet location but very central to our needs, and the view of the canal out front was perfect. We would definitely stay here again .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Orlando? Share your experiences!