“Great Hotel, Great Value, Great Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Orlando

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Orlando
You added Hotel Orlando to your Saves list
Prinsengracht 1099, 1017 JH Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Ranked #63 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
Seattle
“Great Hotel, Great Value, Great Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

The owners, Paul and Paul (never got their last names) have renovated this classic Dutch canal home. Located right on the Prinsengracht canal in a quiet location but just a couple of blocks from the skinny bridge and Rembrandt Plein. There are about 40 restaurants within 6 blocks ranging from Mexican, to Indonesian, to Thai, to Italian. The hotel has a nice quiet garden when the crowded streets of Amsterdam become too much . Our only suggestion is that management was difficult to find after breakfast, but that could have just been our timing.

Room Tip: Choose 118 with the garden view.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

When we booked a room here we did not know what to expect. But the hotel was a pleasant surprise and we loved it. A small B&B tucked away in a quiet street on the Prinsengracht with only seven rooms. The rooms are very comfortable, large and airy with all amenities. The breakfast is of excellent quality and you get to meet the owner and staff - very helpful and full of information on how to get around relatively inexpensively and comfortably - and other guests and exchange plans and news with them. You are given the keys to your room and the main entrance. A wonderful place and I recommend it highly. An excellent way to experience staying in a typical Amsterdam canal house.

Room Tip: Get a room on the ground floor if you have a problem climbing the steep stairs so typical of Amsterd...
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

A small B&B style hotel directly on one of the canals. Quiet residential & safe area.

You are given keys to your room's door and house door and can thus came and leave as you like. I chose room 114 on ground floor for EUR 115/night single use as a friend had kindly advised me that the stairs to the upper floors are very steep. Room very spacious, rather stylish & clean. Hope they will exchange the carpet for a wooden floor which would be another nice touch. Widest bathtub I've seen in a hotel so far. Mattress a bit soft for my taste. View of backyard & garden which guests are welcome to use. Old-fashioned TV but who cares when you've got a tablet with you anyway - free wifi works like a charm.

Hotel advised me well in advance that tram 4 station - only 100m away - is closed until end 2012 due to extended construction work in Utrechtsestraat. Closest station currently Frederiksplein at 400m distance where you also find a good supermarket (Albert Heijn chain).

Taxi from railway station EUR 12, 10 min outside peak time.

Ample & decent breakfast. Warm welcome and attentive staff: I had told Rose I needed to leave at 8 a.m. & she offered to be there early and call a cab for me. When I hadn't shown up by then, she thoughtfully knocked on my door just to make sure I hadn't overslept.

Highly recommended, will stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

My husband and I just spent seven nights at Hotel Orlando, and loved it. The location on Prinzengracht is ideal, close to great dining, shopping and sites. We stayed in room 118 at the back of the hotel and think this must be the best room in the house! The rooms enormous windows open up to views of the lovely back garden. The room is quiet, comfortable and nicely appointed. Breakfast was filling, and always served with a smile. Paul is a warm and friendly innkeeper and his staffer, Rose, is a delight. They were both very helpful but gave us plenty of room to have a leisurely and relaxing stay. We hope to visit Hotel Orlando again someday. Thank you Paul and Rose!

Room Tip: 118 is gorgeous and quiet.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

The hotel is good, with a fine location and quiet rooms. Service could be improved. Breakfast very good, but not available until 8:30AM. Has all necessary facilities, wifi etc. Hallways could look fresher.

Room Tip: Rooms face either the canal or in the back an interior garden.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

The Orlando is in an excellent location at the quiet, mostly residential, end of Prinsengracht, which made it very peaceful at night while being only 20 minutes walk from most of the main attractions in the city centre. The hosts were friendly and helpful and made us feel very welcome. We are a family of five, and booked rooms 111 and 112, which meant that we had the basement floor to ourselves. Room 112 in particular was enormous, with plenty of room for all five of us to sit together while 'back at base'. Even though the rooms were in the basement, the huge windows let in plenty of light and air. We enjoyed the breakfasts, which set us up for the day, and found plenty of good places to eat nearly, especially just round the corner in Utrechtsestraat (Tempo Doeloe, for example).

Top tip - book in advance online for major attractions (Anne Frank House, Van Gogh Museum) and avoid having to queue - we walked straight past a 90 minute queue to get into the Anne Frank House.

Room Tip: 112 would be ideal for a smaller family (3/4) and 111/112 together are perfect for a larger family.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

This was my second visit to the Hotel Orlando. I gave a great review in 2010 and I am pleased to say that the stay here was as good as last time. I stayed here with my mother for 3 nights in February 2012. This time we had a room that had been newly open when I was there last. This is a really lovely room. It is at the back of the hotel, on the ground floor and faces on to a garden. You can also see other canal houses plus their gardens from your window. The room is extra large with almost floor to ceiling windows on one side. The bathroom is clean and spacious. All of this was extra important as I had a really bad cold and needed to stay indoors for a day. The stay in Amsterdam also coincided with the cold snap which hit Europe in February. On the day I stayed in it snowed heavily all day. We were able to watch the snow falling via the large windows – it looked magical. The heating also worked beautifully. Another bonus was the fact that the hotel has a variety of TV channels. I could watch BBC1 and BBC2 and not CNN all day. There is free Wi-Fi as well. I was also able to access the kitchen to prepare my cold medication.

Rose and Paul are wonderful hosts. On the first day we arrived early before the room was ready. Rose made us a pot of tea and we warmed ourselves by the fire in the breakfast room. They also helped us with transport and were happy to provide information if needed. Breakfast was good and plentiful – Ham, cheese, boiled eggs, cereal, bread, croissants, tea, coffee, orange juice and yoghurt. We had to leave early on the last day, before the usual breakfast time. Rose arrived earlier at the hotel so that we were able to have breakfast before our departure – much appreciated.

Hotel Orlando is in a great location and you can walk to most sites from here. We had dinner each night in Utrechtsestraat. We visited the restaurant L’Express on two occasions this trip and two occasions on the previous trip. Nice food, well priced.

The hotel is perfect for the self sufficient traveller who wants to get a feel of what it would be like to have a canal house as their home. I thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Orlando? Share your experiences!