“Affordable, Cozy Place Near Everything” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Anco Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anco Hotel
You added Anco Hotel to your Saves list
O.Z.Voorburgwal 55, 1012 EJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #79 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Winthrop, Massachusetts
“Affordable, Cozy Place Near Everything”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

My stay at Anco Hotel was very pleasant. Contrary to the previous negative customer service reviews, I found the guys that worked there to be helpful, friendly, and accommodating. I had actually booked a dorm bed, but due to some sort of renovation going on, they moved me to a single room for no additional cost. And the location is just A-plus. In the heart of the red light district, overlooking a picturesque canal and church, Anco is just a few minutes walk to the gay bars on Warmoesstraat and beyond the Damrack. I stayed here a couple of months ago, and am now just getting around to writing the review, but I definitely wanted to give it a thumbs up. Breakfast was good, shared bathroom wasn't a problem, and if the hotel is busier I can see the downstairs bar area being a lot of fun.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed at the Anco late August - early September 2012 and found it great. Very clean rooms, but share bathroom; (some rooms have a private bathroom). Also very quiet. Comfortable bed. Was very close to everything which was basically why I booked it. I have mobility problems and found it very easy to get around. Stars are very steep and narrow, which could be an issue for some people. But this is characteristic of all canal houses. Originally I was given a room way up the top but due to my mobility they changed rooms for me to a first floor room which was great. Breakfast provided in the morning which looks appetizing - I don't eat breakfast so don't know how it tastes. Friendly welcoming staff. Internet service was OK. Would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My partner and I recently stayed at this hotel. On arrival we were welcomed and given all the relevant info for the city. We were offered coffee and it all seemed very pleasant. The next morning when we arrived down for breakfast there was no communication with the guy on duty. we got a table and asked for tea and coffee as we were having continental breakfast. I asked could I get sugar for my cereal and the attendant turned to the guests and said "Sugar for cornflakes". He then proceeded to a press under the buffet table where he handed me a few sachets of sugar. After breakfast we went out and returned in the afternoon with the same guy on duty. I asked could we get coffee - he said 1 or 2. I said 2. he banged presses and proceeded to brew coffee. Eventually he left them on the counter and the only word was €5. We paid and proceeded to our room. The next morning we came down for breakfast there was only one setting on the table for the two of us. As there was no cimmunication I proceeded to the press under the buffet table where the sugar was stored to get a setting for breakfast. Then this elderly guy stampeded through the breakfast area and siad "stop, what are you doing, don't go near those presses" he slammed the press closed and shouted that he would get me what I wanted". I got such a fright I was unable to answer, so my partner and I decided to leave immediately.
The hotel business is all about hospitality, its where people go for a rest and a break - to be spoilt. We were not looking for any special treatment but the attitude and manner of these people leave alot to be desired. You don't pay to stay in a hotel where the staff do not communicate to you, where you feel you are a nuicance and you certainly don't want to be shouted at or humiliated. I or my partner would certainly never return there again.
The hotel itself is well maintained and the location is good but the engine of the hotel - it's staff should not be in this business.
Amsterdam is a lovely city but this experience has left a very bad taste with us. Surley they know that they are not the only gay hotel in Amsterdam. It is very disappointing to be treated like that and having to pay for such an experience. The tourist board in Holland should pay a visit to this non hospitable establishment.

Room Tip: The only tip is not to stay as there are quite a few hotels in the city which are well located and o...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Excellent location, quality breakfast, fun and attentive staff. When my partner and myself return to Amsterdam we'll certainly be booking our shelves back into the Anco. The location doesn't get any better in Amsterdam for gay men looking for all the bars, clubs and restaurants. The owners and staff make you feel very welcome. It was our home in Amsterdam for 13 nights and we are very happy to have selected that hotel, - we'll be back!

Room Tip: The large room first floor at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

When I first arrived I thought this hotel was very good. But after staying for one night this wasn't the case. First of all, it is very annoying that after 10pm the reception is closed and so to get out and in of the hotel you have to walk up 3 floors and then walk down 3 - ridiculous, especially if you've had a bit to drink. Then the breakfast is very average and limited not to mention the nasty concentrated orange juice. I only drink pure organic. It was also annoying I had to go to the floor above to use the bathroom which was a bit disgusting to be honest, definitely needs refurbishing. I also saw a mouse running in my room. Vile! However the location is very good and I did to be fair only pay €45 a night. It's also good you get new towels every day.

• Stayed September 2012
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Before the Anco was taken over by new management I really looked forward to my trip to Amsterdam.
Anco was taken over recently. The staff and management shouldn't be anywhere near hospitality jobs.
They made me feel uncomfortable at every level.

There is a member of staff who abused me when I asked him to call me a Taxi to go back to the airport. The member of staff refused to make the call as "I wouldn't make any money in commission" Surely my hotel bill would of been enough. I suggest that since the change over I'd avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Do you want to meet friends without really knowing them in advance? Welcome to Anco Hotel!

The place where the staff are your unknown friends just waiting to get to know you. You have to understand the Dutch humor, and you have to have the same sense of humor yourself. If you do, you will feel most welcome and at home while staying at Anco Hotel. I took a bit of a chance. I placed two bookings for this hotel even before my first stay, but I only needed to spend one minute here to realize that I had made the right choice. The people here are friendly, the breakfast i great and the location is perfect. I arrived here on a friday and went out to the bars and clubs for the night, which made me sleep through the breakfast. When I got downstairs to have my morning cigarette, the staff looked at me like they were really offended askin "And where were you this morning? We missed you at the breakfast" followed by a great smile.

The rooms here are typical Amsterdam size. Not too large, but it was okay. Most rooms have shared toilet and shower in the hallway, which were kept clean all the time. Hotel staff knocks your door every evening asking if you need fresh towels. Breakfast is served from 9:00 - 11:30 and is included in the price. Free WiFi internet for all guests with good coverage and bandwidth. The rooms are equipped with a cable TV with several channels including two free adult tv channels. The only thing I missed during my stay was some ventilation. I stayed here for the hottest weekend ever recorded this year with approx. 34 degrees celsius at the hottest.

Getting here is easy. Looking at Google Maps can give an impression that getting here is hard because there are no metro or tram station nearby. That impression is very wrong. I took me not more than a five minute walk from Amsterdam Centraal to the hotel. Just follow Damrak south to Oudebrugsteeg. Then follow Oudebrugsteeg and cross Beursstraat and Warmoesstraat, and continue in the same direction until you hit the canal. Cross the bridge, take to your right, and you're there. Ten minutes walk stoned or drunk, five minutes walk sober :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Anco Hotel? Share your experiences!