“Ideally located for all activities” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Anco Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anco Hotel
You added Anco Hotel to your Saves list
O.Z.Voorburgwal 55, 1012 EJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District (De Wallen))   |
Ranked #76 of 356 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Ideally located for all activities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Hotel Anco is ideally located for those wishing to do touristy things or for sampling Amsterdam's nightlife. Set in the red light district it is near several gay bars and clubs.

The hotel itself has recently had some refurb work done and is good overall. I arrived early and this was not a problem at all. The receptionist Denis is hilarious and I got his humour straight away. The hotel were very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. I had originally booked a dorm but ended up sharing a twin with another guest which was ideal.

Breakfast was fine and ample and drinks are available both in reception and at a drinks machine. Beds were comfortable and toilet and showering facilities were clean.

The only negatives were that it can be noisy as walls are thin and that at night you have to walk up to 3rd floor and come down all the stairs at the back if you are staying at the back of the hotel. The stairs are quite steep but typical of Amsterdam canal properties.

All in all an enjoyable experience. Perhaps a little overpriced but ideally located. Will definitely return again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel to avoid having to go up and over at night.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
wigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Recently refurbished rooms have pushed this hotel right to the top of anyone's list who wants a downright friendly, superbly located, excellent value b and b right where its at in Amsterdam. Already planning to return.

Room Tip: Try to get double room 22 on 2nd floor
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

I have stayed here many times and always will. For a gay hotel it's in a perfect location. Within walking distance of so much and close to train station. Free Breakfasts. Friendly staff. Rooms aren't high class tho acceptable. After all you only need a clean place to sleep and shower as you'll be out sightseeing.

Room Tip: Any room will do. Single rooms are small. Stairs are steep.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Main advantage of this hotel is its location. It is perfectly located: less than 10 min walk from train station, 3 min walk from Warmoestraat (heart of red light district), 5 min walk from Dam Square and from tram station where you can trains to almost main attraction in the city. Hotel is situated along a very nice canal, at the border of the red light district. Neighbourhood is not really noisy even during week end.
I travelled alone but booked a double room to have more space. Room was lovely. It seemed it was recently refreshed. Had a nice view on the canal. It was not really big and i think it could be a bit small for 2 people as there is not a lot of space to move around the bed and to store the suitcase. There is only one sink in the bedroom. Shower and toilets are shared. Shower looked old but clean. Toilets were very clean too.
In the bedroom closet is rather small to put the clothes. There was also no dustbin.
Room are not really soundproof as I could hear my neighbour snored at night as if he were in my room.
WIFI is available in every room and worked well.
Breakfast served from 9 am to 11 am. It is continental. It is ok. The second day I arrived in the breakfast room at 8.58 am. The guy at the reception desk was just arriving and told me in a very rude way that breakfast was served at 9 am. I said I did not mind waiting . Then he started mumbling in dutch and looked really angry. So I decided to have my breakfast outside. in the morning I rather have a quiet atmosphere to have my coffee. The day after the same guy had a kind behaviour. Really weird.
Except this guy, the rest of the staff were very kind and helpful.
I paid EUR 99 per night. I found this a bit expensive regarding the service offered, the room without bathroom. Single room is EUR 70. I think it is a bit expensive too. I had the opportunity to have a look inside one single: it was a bit dark as located at the back of the building, the sink was old and had some stains. The mirror above was broken.
This hotel is not a bad option to stay but not the best quality for value.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

I had a 14 hour layover in AMS so I went into the city which I have been to before. I went to this hotel and walked in. Nobody was there. So, I then looked downstairs and the receptionist was lying on the couch sleeping. I asked a couple of times if he had rooms...no answer. Then he woke up and asked how I got in. I said the door was opened. I asked if they had rooms (on a Monday night) and he said no. Then when we were walking upstairs I asked him again knowing that the Christmas/New Year travel season was over and he said he had rooms...opened up the key holder and presto, most of the keys were hanging there meaning they were far from filled. He was the most inconsiderate, rude, nasty person I think I have ever dealt with at a hotel. The price of the hotel was taken down to 70 euro. I was then told at 10pm the hotel closes and that I would need to let myself in and out with the key. This was ok. Since I needed to be back at Schipol by 6am I asked if I could have a wake up call and he said no. Then I said I need to find a place that has wake up calls. He then said he would get me an alarm clock. Mind you, the 70 euro room rate is for a room that has a shared bathroom and shower. As many rooms in AMS are small due to the lateral configurations, I expected it to be small but this was on the verge of ridiculous. The room had a sink, a broken cheap "closet", a bed, and a small tv. The view was good as it was on the third floor overlooking a canal. The location is excellent as it is about a ten minute walk from the Amsterdam Centraal Station which has trains leaving constantly and taking 15-20 minutes each way. Would I recommend this hotel? Emphatically no.

Room Tip: Some rooms face inside meaning no views whatsoever. If you get a room ask for one overlooking the ca...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

aAways stay at the Anco when we go to Amsterdam and the Improvments are Fantastic and the plans for more look good as well thanks to Karl,josef,Dennis and especialy Dave for making it feel like home home wont stay anywhere ekse.
Keep it up Guys.
will see you all in ten weeks.
Chris and NIk LOndon

Room Tip: If you have any Problems with stairs then is not for you when booking see if you can a room at the f...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

We always stay here when in Amsterdam, right next to The places we go out. Nice refurbished rooms after The renovation! Calm rooms in the hotel but of you need some action, you can Find it

• Stayed November 2011