“A bit expensive” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Anco Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anco Hotel
O.Z.Voorburgwal 55, Amsterdam 1012 EJ, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #119 of 340 hotels in Amsterdam
Paris, France
“A bit expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Main advantage of this hotel is its location. It is perfectly located: less than 10 min walk from train station, 3 min walk from Warmoestraat (heart of red light district), 5 min walk from Dam Square and from tram station where you can trains to almost main attraction in the city. Hotel is situated along a very nice canal, at the border of the red light district. Neighbourhood is not really noisy even during week end.
I travelled alone but booked a double room to have more space. Room was lovely. It seemed it was recently refreshed. Had a nice view on the canal. It was not really big and i think it could be a bit small for 2 people as there is not a lot of space to move around the bed and to store the suitcase. There is only one sink in the bedroom. Shower and toilets are shared. Shower looked old but clean. Toilets were very clean too.
In the bedroom closet is rather small to put the clothes. There was also no dustbin.
Room are not really soundproof as I could hear my neighbour snored at night as if he were in my room.
WIFI is available in every room and worked well.
Breakfast served from 9 am to 11 am. It is continental. It is ok. The second day I arrived in the breakfast room at 8.58 am. The guy at the reception desk was just arriving and told me in a very rude way that breakfast was served at 9 am. I said I did not mind waiting . Then he started mumbling in dutch and looked really angry. So I decided to have my breakfast outside. in the morning I rather have a quiet atmosphere to have my coffee. The day after the same guy had a kind behaviour. Really weird.
Except this guy, the rest of the staff were very kind and helpful.
I paid EUR 99 per night. I found this a bit expensive regarding the service offered, the room without bathroom. Single room is EUR 70. I think it is a bit expensive too. I had the opportunity to have a look inside one single: it was a bit dark as located at the back of the building, the sink was old and had some stains. The mirror above was broken.
This hotel is not a bad option to stay but not the best quality for value.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

96 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

I had a 14 hour layover in AMS so I went into the city which I have been to before. I went to this hotel and walked in. Nobody was there. So, I then looked downstairs and the receptionist was lying on the couch sleeping. I asked a couple of times if he had rooms...no answer. Then he woke up and asked how I got in. I said the door was opened. I asked if they had rooms (on a Monday night) and he said no. Then when we were walking upstairs I asked him again knowing that the Christmas/New Year travel season was over and he said he had rooms...opened up the key holder and presto, most of the keys were hanging there meaning they were far from filled. He was the most inconsiderate, rude, nasty person I think I have ever dealt with at a hotel. The price of the hotel was taken down to 70 euro. I was then told at 10pm the hotel closes and that I would need to let myself in and out with the key. This was ok. Since I needed to be back at Schipol by 6am I asked if I could have a wake up call and he said no. Then I said I need to find a place that has wake up calls. He then said he would get me an alarm clock. Mind you, the 70 euro room rate is for a room that has a shared bathroom and shower. As many rooms in AMS are small due to the lateral configurations, I expected it to be small but this was on the verge of ridiculous. The room had a sink, a broken cheap "closet", a bed, and a small tv. The view was good as it was on the third floor overlooking a canal. The location is excellent as it is about a ten minute walk from the Amsterdam Centraal Station which has trains leaving constantly and taking 15-20 minutes each way. Would I recommend this hotel? Emphatically no.

Room Tip: Some rooms face inside meaning no views whatsoever. If you get a room ask for one overlooking the ca...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

aAways stay at the Anco when we go to Amsterdam and the Improvments are Fantastic and the plans for more look good as well thanks to Karl,josef,Dennis and especialy Dave for making it feel like home home wont stay anywhere ekse.
Keep it up Guys.
will see you all in ten weeks.
Chris and NIk LOndon

Room Tip: If you have any Problems with stairs then is not for you when booking see if you can a room at the f...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011 via mobile

We always stay here when in Amsterdam, right next to The places we go out. Nice refurbished rooms after The renovation! Calm rooms in the hotel but of you need some action, you can Find it

• Stayed November 2011
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

First time in Amserdaml and I gotta say the staff made it for me.
Everything was perfect...nice brekkie in the morning, properly nice location next to canal, good prices etc.
The most important thing though is that you get a welcoming smile as soon as you arrive that lasts the whole stay.
Oh, one more thing, Dave is THE sexiest manager ever ;)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

very accomodating staff..they were very friendly and full of life. the owners were wonderful and went out of their way to make you happy. AS for Dave - he is the perfect host..LOVE love love him..his happiness and energetic ways make me feel at home. Thanks again guys for making my vacation a wonderful one

Room Tip: get the bottom floor..steps are narrow..:)
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Isla Mujeres
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

Small rooms, steep stairs, shared bath... That's Amsterdam! Anco has great canal-front location, extremely clean, great breakfast and friendly management. We loved sitting on the front stoop with a cold beer and soaking up the neighborhood. Our first choice for retrun accommodations

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Anco Hotel? Share your experiences!