“Basic but comfortable.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of ITC Hotel

Save Saved
You added ITC Hotel to your Saves list
ITC Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Princegracht 1051, 1017 JE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Ranked #219 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Basic but comfortable.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed here as price for two nights was really cheap. We got what we paid for so can't grumble too much. We booked a triple room and our room was located in the Townhouse (across the road from main hotel). The Townhouse was quite hostel like. As with most canal houses, stairs very steep so probably not ideal for some. We were on the third floor and had a lovely view onto the canal over Prinsengracht. Three single beds and a tiny, tiny bathroom. Luckily for us, we didn't plan on spending too much time in the hotel. Room got quite chilly at night so consider layers for the evening. Room was clean and beds were quite comfortable although we didn't think much of the pillows!
In the Townhouse, there are some rooms that share bathroom facilities. The toilet was located right outside our room which was unfortunate. Paper thin walls and creaky old stairs meant that we were frequently woken up throughout the night whilst people used the communal toilet.
As three women, we were a bit disappointed that there wasn't a full length mirror in the room, or even a mirror outside of the bathroom (bathroom mirrors got incredibly steamed up when someone used shower and no fan in bathroom to eliminate this). Also, lack of sockets in room.
We didn't eat breakfast but it costs 7.50e. Looked like standard breakfast of pastries, meat slices, cereal. Lots of cafes and places near by to add a bite to eat and slightly cheaper than the busier areas of the city.
The location trumps any negative points for this hotel. Gorgeous location out of the hustle and bustle of the city and only 5 stops away from Centraal on the tram, which costs 2.80e for hour pass or 7.50e for 24hrs. If you were to walk to Dam Square, it would probably be a 20minute walk from hotel but a straight forward route.
Overall, I'd recommend this hotel. Great value for money but probably not for those who are used to luxury.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the canal for a fantastic view. If you expect an en suite in your room, c...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

249 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Turkish first
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed at ITC Hotel a few weeks back for a long weekend. The room itself was clean enough, and seemed reasonably well-maintained. It was, however, tiny. There wasn't really a place for my husband and I to store our two small bags without tripping over them. There was no hanging space at all, aside from three small hooks above the kettle.

We were put in a room in the "Townhouses", which gave us some cause for concern, since other reviews mentioned it being a poor experience. For us, the experience was more harmed by the incredibly loud guests we had staying above us. They came home after midnight each night and left around 7am stomping up and down the stairs each time. They also smoked ... questionable substances ... constantly and that may have contributed to their incredible volume.

The location was pretty good. We rented bikes while we were there, and it was a short bike ride for us to get anywhere we wanted to go. It is also right next to a tram station, which made getting to and from the train station easy.

They also were able to hold our bags for us on the day we departed since we had an evening flight, and that was very helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I found this hotel through the Expedia website. I was taking my step-mum away for a few days & wanted somewhere that was unlikely to be as noisy as staying nearer to the Centraal Station. As far as value-for-money goes, I think it would be hard to beat this hotel, and I was certainly sold on the price. I read some of the reviews here and found mixed reaction but decided, on balance, to go for it. I didn't regret my decision.

As Mum has difficulty with stairs, I requested a low-floor room at the time of booking, along with a private bathroom if possible. In addition, I e-mailed the hotel direct a few days before departure to confirm these requests would be possible. The reply was prompt, polite and confirmed that our requests had been granted.

Upon arrival, we were advised that we would be accommodated in the Townhouse annex, which is just across the canal. We had the ground-floor room and a private bathroom. When we entered the building, I was a little dismayed to be confronted with what appeared to be an ex-reception area, now being used as a store room, with a single bed in one corner. However, we'd been told that our room was through another door, so we crossed our fingers and went in. We were pleasantly surprised by what awaited us.

Although Mum did have to negotiate four steps down, the room was spotlessly clean and a large fanlight window ensured that it got plenty of light. The beds were a little on the small side, even for singles, but were very comfortable and the bedlinen and mattresses were very clean. A colour TV hung on the wall, a small safe, table & (one) stool, kettle and tea & coffee-making items completed the furniture. The bathroom was the strangest shape I've ever encountered but, again, was operating-theatre clean - more importantly, it passed the "Mum test", which is high praise indeed! Apart from one morning, the hot water was plentiful and powerful, although the floor did get a little slippery if you weren't careful with the spray. It was quite chilly at night during our stay, but the radiators threw out more than enough heat to ensure we stayed toasty.

Room service came in each day and kept the place very clean indeed. I inadvertently left a €50 note on the table one morning but, I'm pleased to report, it had been placed prominently on my pillow when I returned that evening, so the domestic staff are clearly trustworthy. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful and, with only one exception, spoke excellent English: one member of staff went a great deal out of his way to help us with a medical difficulty.

We only ate breakfast there one morning - though not, I might add, because the food was bad. It was the usual Continental fare: bread & rolls, a selection of cold meats and cheese, eggs, fruit, cereals, fruit juice and tea/coffee. What we ate was very good quality, and it's a reasonable price too, but the "dining area" is actually just a few tables in reception. Since neither of us were keen on being watched while we ate by guests checking in & out, we decided to eat elsewhere for the rest of our stay.

I have only a few minor criticisms. Although it was particularly clean, the room was pretty small for two people and there was absolutely no hanging space or drawers. I think the hotel should also do something about tidying up what was supposed to be our sitting room. There was furniture stacked in one corner, it was difficult to get past what I assume to be the old reception desk just inside the door and there was a hole in the floor cover by a board - though, in fairness, it wasn't in the direct line of route to the actual room. However, it gave a very bad impression and rather spoilt the appearance of what was essentially a pretty comfortable room.

In addition, there were a group of young guys on the floor above ours and, although they weren't noisy per se, our roof formed their patio and the noise when they were out there smoking was quite amazing. It's not that they were being unruly, but their voices seemed to be magnified somehow and their footsteps sounded like a herd of elephants playing with bowling balls. It also meant that there were a couple of times when we had to close our window, for fear that we might float away on the fumes!

On the whole, however, I'd be telling lies if I said that it spoilt our trip or meant that I wouldn't recommend the hotel to others. A good location, with regular and quick tram links into the centre, free wi-fi and friendly, helpful staff all add up to amazing value-for money. Both Mum and I would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Be aware that not all rooms have private bathrooms and even the ground floor room has steps. You ma...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

we stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and loved it. the staff were frienly and the room was very clean (cleaned every day) and beds really comfy. on our third night there we had a bottle of cava courtesy of the hotel, which i thought was a really nice gesture. the location of the hotel was perfect, a five minute walk from rembrant square and a ten minute walk from dam square, with a tram stop directly outside. the only downfall was the noise of people walking about which we could hear, but nothing to put me off going back.
all in all it was a great room for the price with a great location and i would definatley book it again

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We spent a week in March this year in this hotel. Very good location. Just take tram 4 and the stop is just outside the hotel. It is a 2 star hotel so don't expect much. It is clean and staff are friendly. We did not expect the bathroom was a wet room so we had to quickly buy a pair of clog to have the shower and go to the toilet. The hotel is in a very good location and one can walk to all the interesting places.

Room Tip: Our room is on the first floor. One have to tackle steep narrow stairs and you can hear foot steps w...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We recently stayed at the ITC hotel for a long weekend in February. The hotel staff were very helpful and friendly. The room was clean to a very high standard and had nice comfortable beds. It was also very warm.
The hotel is in a great location - close to shops and cafes and I'd say the city centre is about 15 min walk away.
The room didn't have tea making facilities but did have a TV. Breakfast is available at the hotel at an extra cost (7 euros I think). The hotel also had free wifi and a computer near the main reception which was free to use.

We had a pleasant stay at the ITC and I would recommend this hotel to fellow travellers :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dumfries, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the ITC. I was up in the attic in one of the single rooms and it was more than enough for a short stay of 2 days. The staff are very bright and friendly and always willing to help. The main bonus of the hotel is the location. Straight off the number 4 from Central Station (and I mean straight off, you step of the tram and walk 10 steps to the door). There is some lovely bars down the main road and you are only a 5 minute walk from Rembrandt square. For anyone visiting Amsterdam and be a little out of it, but not to far away to be a pain, the ITC is well worth a look. I will stay again, and as a regular traveler, thats an important thing.

Room Tip: Goes without saying for most small hotels in Amsterdam, but if you do have an issue with stairs, do...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to ITC Hotel? Share your experiences!