Amistad is a gay hotel, so even if they, of couse, accept anyone, you may consider that this hotel could be not your best cup of tea, if you are not gay.
A gay hotel doesn't me that the staff is drugged or drunk on the morning (no way), or that they propose you some sex together, as some stupid reviews I've read here say. They are nice, friendly and sweet people, doing the best for their guest that they respect a lot.
The stairs (I was at the top floor) are the usual ones you find in _every_ house in Amsterdam, and are by all means manageable: if you really want an elevator, you should go to another city and/or go to the nearest gym to work out on your body.
Things that I really loved from this hotel:
- the breakfast, that is from 9am to 1pm, which means you can sleep all the time you want. Plus, the breakfast is in one big table, with the other guests, taking and chatting with the hotel staff as they are servicing you and suggesting things to do and place to see. If you wanna know some people, maybe tourists like you, or have some insight into the dutch culture and way of life, it's the best you could ever ask; come, chat and know people, an excellent idea;
- the free of use internet-connected computer in every room: you save a lot of space in your luggage, especially good when you are with a low cost flight;
- position: excellent, it's extremely easy to reach the hotel with 1,2 or 5 bus line, and within minutes of walking you are at the museum quarter; plus the hotel is in one of the Amsterdam gay streets, not the busiest but there are a couple of places in the same street;
Things I consider a bit more critical:
- usually, in Amsterdam, breakfast is not included in the hotel price, so I understand that I cannot say anything about the quality and the quantity of it. Let's just say that is sufficient, not excellent (and I am italian and quite tall, so I eat a lot and have some natural good taste when it comes to food);
- if you can't sleep with some noise, it's better you have something to protect and cover your ears, because of course you have to pay something for being really near the most useful and trafficked bus lines.
Cleanliness was good, and I will strongly suggest this hotel to every gay solo or couple in Amsterdam. Others may accept it neverthless, as it was reasonable cheap.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Amistad Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Amistad Hotel Amsterdam