“Good Location but Inconsistent” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Amistad Hotel

Save Saved
You added Amistad Hotel to your Saves list
Amistad Hotel
2.0 of 5 Specialty Hotel   |   Kerkstraat 42, 1017 GM Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #32 of 177 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Seattle, Washington
“Good Location but Inconsistent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

At first I was very impressed with the Amistad and felt it was a big improvement over my previous Amsterdam hotel. The front desk staff is very friendly and welcoming in general. There is a bright internet cafe/breakfast room where you check in - unfortunately I checked out before their late breakfast start of 9am (lasts to 1pm however so good for those who party late in Amsterdam).

The room had a computer with internet which was a first for me. There was a sink and safe (which they could never get to work) and adequate space. There was no a/c but a large window that faces a noisy street (the staff jokingly indicated that is what earplugs are for) - wasn't an issue for me but may be if you want to get to bed early. The bathroom was down the hall and was fine. Cleanliness in general was good but the drinking glasses in my room were dirty (there were wet coffee rings below them) and they were never exchanged even after I brought this to the management's attention.

The location right off fthe Leidsestraat was ideal to explore many parts of the city and is about 15 minutes walk to the Central Station.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

Farmed out to an annex after booking months in advance for hotel.Staff not welcoming.
Room not cleaned regularly in spite of speaking to cleaning staff.
Trying to get breakfast from drunk/drugged staff was almost imposible.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

i have stayed at the amistad before and recommended it to my friends to stay. The rooms we were allocated were in the annexe but would appear not to be in the new annexe but an overspill located above a sex shop. They were furnished very basically and quite hot. Room service was patchy with towels not being changed fully throughout our stay.

On the plus side the communal breakfast area was well appointed with friendly staff and a nice selection of food and drinks and was open until 1pm.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
Marbella, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

I had checked TripAdvisor reviews on this property after having made my reservation and was not sure what I would find - and now I am glad I could not cancel my reservation by then! I work for a hotel and must say that Mike's warm welcome, grt. smile included, was a great start. While checking me in, and without overdoing it, asked if it was my first time to Amsterdam, if I would like any hints on where to go, what to see, etc., all done with a sincere interest I have rarely found elsewhere, incl.5 star properties!

As the hotel itself was full, I was put up in one of the 6 apartments they have in the very same area and after checking in, receiving a map of the city with my points of interest highlighted and clearly indicated by Mike, he accompanied me to what would be my room for the next 3 days. It was just a few steps away and if there is anything on the negative side to say, these would be, in order:

- the steps up to the apartment
- the room's out of date decor and need of a fresh coat of paint

Re. the stairs, this is something totally out of their control as all homes in the canal area have high ceilings and feature the same stairwells adapted to each home's architecture: narrow (in all senses of the word) and steep! Normal in homes where space was to be maximized and facades were meant to be as narrow as possible to reduce the applicable city property taxes (when the homes were built these were based on the front width of your home, so....). So might as well turn that to your advantage and think of the good this is doing to your legs, etc.

The room was bigger than I had thought it would be, featuring two single beds (which were comfortable and firm), closet, small work table, chairs, colour TV, DVD, en suite bathroom and a beautiful, very large window overlooking the gardens all these homes hide behind them. The bathroom was also nice sized, with natural light and full bathtub. The best feature here? The natural light and the very large sink top area! :) Oh! Don’t forget to bring your own shampoo and shower gel. I also saw the direct hotel rooms, and these are very welcoming, comfortable and contemporary - though if you want your own bathroom you must request it in advance. Cleanliness throughout the hotel is very visible.
Internet access is offered in the hotel and apartments, though I could not find the plug for it....

The hotel is located close to everything: Central Station is only a max. 10 minute tram ride away, with 3 different lines serving it from near the hotel (there are two stops, each only a three minute walk from the hotel); it is between two central canals and near the corner of a smaller, very nice one; excellent restaurants (the Portuguese one just across the street from them is a definite must do, featuring excellent home cooking at reasonable rates - thanks for recommending it guys!); shopping; Rijksmuseum; gay (the main gay street is just a 5 to 10 minute walk away) and straight bars; the flower market; open air cafes; parks and city monuments.

They offer their own canal boat trip (and at 25Euros is it great value), which is an excellent way to visit the city (it may sound canned, but it is true), particularly on a sunny day. It is a perfect sized open motor boat (seats six comfortably plus the "captain") and the hotel managers themselves do the "driving" and comments - and their knowledge of the city is admirable, incl. fun and interesting trivia. A very first hand, personal and fun way to see Amsterdam.

Of the tours they recommended, all were fun and not massified, something more to be grateful for; and the breakfast is as close to home made as possible - it is as I always have it! Do not expect a full English or American one, but it does feature cold cuts, cheese, cereals, eggs, toast, butter and jams - and if you ask nicely they'll even make you a great turkey and sweet mustard sandwich! Breakfast times are 9am to 1pm (not bad at all if you partake of Amsterdam nightlife!), but if you have an earlier departure they will accommodate you. Nice hot coffee, teas, juices, low fat, non-fat and regular fat milks rounds this meal out.

The breakfast room, after 1pm, also serves as an internet center, although the rooms feature internet access - WiFi and/or cabled - though I cannot say for sure if it is complimentary.

The rate I paid, though within market for this type of hotel, I found a high for the room I was given - had it been directly in the hotel itself, then my value rating would have definitely been higher. Service and cleanliness, as can be seen, was excellent and key in balancing this out.

I have waited several days to write this review to give myself time to be as impartial as possible, and possibly remember things I may have overlooked whilst there given the great time I had and how welcoming and helpful they were - but besides the two point above detailed, no others come to mind.

And fantastic also is how they do not run after you, or continuously pressure you for payment in case you stay in one of the apartments they run, but I had better explain this point: for rooms at the hotel itself, credit card payment is a viable option, option not available for the apartments they run where cash upfront is required (they do warn you in advance so this cannot be criticised). As I thought I would be staying in the hotel I was not carrying enough cash, but given many of us have limits as to how much we may take out on a daily basis from automatic tellers, they checked me in without any problem after pre-paying my first night. The other two I paid on my last night without problem, hassle or other ways of acting one normally finds at other hotels.

Oh! And if you are looking for a fun little bar to go to and hang out with the locals, then head off to the Cafe Sientje on Korte Reguliersdwars Straat, 6! Fun, kitsch bar - almost tacky! but truly fun - where all are welcome, live singer is featured and the drinks are good and reasonably priced. Now, two things: the street is numbered really weird (when you see number 4 - if coming off the normal Reguliersdwars Straat - then you have just walked past the bar); and the bar from the outside can be confused with one of those establishments you know to find in the Red Light District. But do not worry, it is truly a place to see, listen to Dutch popular songs, have a drink and walk out with a smile on your face wanting to go back in. You will feel welcomed and will get an insight into Dutch life, at least from a working class perspective where, as indicated, all (straight, gay, lesbian, rich, less rich, no rich,…..) are welcome. :) It is open, I think, from Thursdays to Sundays incl. Ask for Jan (pronounced Yan) - the owner - when there.

As I indicate when I first began writing this I work for a deluxe hotel chain (in sales) and given my professional - and extensive travel - experience can truly say that Hotel Amistad is a great place to stay.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Honolulu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

Took this trip alone during Christmas and New Years Eve.I had one of the best vacations of a lifetime thanks to the Amistad Hotel. The staff was great and the location was the best. Being centrally located to the gay scene is important when choosing a hotel for the gay traveler. This was the best location one could ask for. The rooms are typical Dutch with one very positive addition. All of the rooms include a computer with free internet. Not having to bring a laptop was definately the selling point. Should you have any questions about the hotel or any other questions regarding the gay scene, please feel free to contact me.

• Liked — Location and the fact that they had a computer with internet access in each room
  • Disliked — Room could have been bigger, but most Dutch hotel rooms are small so not a problem really.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2008

Amistad Hotel

We made a last minute decision to visit Amsterdam while staying in Antwerp. I had previously looked up Amistad on the website and thought it was what I was looking for if we went to Amsterdam.

We were there for 1 night and we booked one of the double/ensuite rooms which were on the fourth floor of a 200 year old house (so no lift), we were in the attic and it was Fantastic, a double bed and a computer (free for your use) and an ensuite which had been recently renovated. The hotel is located a few minutes from the tram stop making it very convenient to get around Amsterdam.

We hope to go back to Amsterdam for a longer stay next time and will stay at Amistad again. The computer/kitchen/reception room was a nice use of space.
The staff there was extremely friendly and very helpful.

• Liked — Location and staff
  • Disliked — window in ensuite - no blind and ensuite glass door
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
DFW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2008

My partner and I just returned from a first time one-week stay at the Amistad. What a great little European style hotel! It’s located in the central part of the city just a few steps away from three of the city’s main tram lines. Several museums are within easy walking distance. It’s a great location for doing the tourist thing by day and enjoying the night life in the evening. There are lots of restaurants in the area too.

What’s so special about staying at the Amistad? I expected a clean quiet room in a small local hotel. We got that and a whole lot more. A limited menu breakfast was included in the room rate. Each morning they offered hard or soft boiled eggs along with other meats, cheeses, cereal, toast, juice and coffee. It’s served until 1pm. It’s a nice way to meet other hotel guests. The breakfast is served family-style at one very large table.

You’ve got to take the canal boat! No, I’m not talking about one of the 747-sized hop on hop off tourist boats. The Amistad offers private two-hour boat trips on a normal sized pleasure boat. That means they can take you on canals the big tourist boats won’t fit on. We booked it for late afternoon. We turned it into a dinner cruise on the canal by including sandwiches and a bottle of wine. We had such a good time we booked the boat twice.

I really liked the hotel’s free WiFi. I brought my PDA and was able to keep up with our home email. No PDA? No worries. Most of the rooms are furnished with a full-sized desktop PC with free internet. The staff offered lots of helpful sightseeing advice too. If you like WWII history check out the Dutch Resistance Museum.

Apparently, the hotel is very popular. So book early! We almost didn’t get in. When I made our reservation all of the rooms in the main building were already booked. They were able to accommodate us in one of their “annex” rooms in another building a few doors down the street. Here’s the best part. Even the annex rooms were booked the last two nights of our stay. So, we upgraded to one of the Penthouse Apartments. Very nice. Next trip we’re booking one of the apartments for the whole stay.

My only criticism is that our hotel room in the annex building got pretty warm in the afternoon on a couple of the sunny days. The room faced the west and had lots of windows. There was a fan in the room and we weren’t in the room most afternoons. So it wasn’t a big problem.

Yes, I would stay at this hotel again.

LW
Fort Worth, TX

• Liked — Free internet, breakfast included. Loved the private boat.
  • Disliked — West facing room got a little warm on sunny afternoons.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Amistad Hotel? Share your experiences!