“It's not what it seems.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Amistad Hotel

Save Saved
You added Amistad Hotel to your Saves list
Amistad Hotel
2.0 of 5 Specialty Hotel   |   Kerkstraat 42, 1017 GM Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #38 of 177 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“It's not what it seems.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Looks like a nice BnB, hotel online but the minute I walked in I was disappointmed. This is the smallest room I have ever had........ever! We had to climb over each other to get into bed! The price isn't reflective of what you get.
There is a kettle in the room yay to that, but alas no milk! Lighting is appalling, with the lamp and light on we couldn't read!
The location is good, the breakfast guy was friendly and willing to help out with directions etc. Although, we had an early start and asked to have an early breakfast, but this didn't happen!
Rooms have a computer for your use..........I couldn't find how to turn it on. The door has to be slammed to get it shut and a vice like grip required to actually lock it. I'm sorry to say I can't say anything good about this place.

Room Tip: Amsterdam has so many accommodation options, so look around. Rooms in this town can be small. But fo...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

My trip to Amsterdam was a last minute decision. Luckily, the good people at Amistad were able to get me a room. The accomodations are fine. I used ear plugs at night, since I'm a light sleeper. The real standout is the staff. Kind, patient and helpful to a fault, thanks especially to Joost and Dicky.

• Stayed October 2014
Perth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

I stayed here for a few nights and it was pretty poor.
Unfortunately the day I arrived it was raining and cold so I pretty much froze through the night as I wasn't aware of this until the day after. You would expect a basic like heating would be always working in this climate. I was given an extra blanket which kept me warm but the room was just cold night & day.
Upon check out inspection of the drawers I found a draw full of underwear and medication left from the previous guest which was obviously missed by the cleaner.
The room was clean although window ledges were filthy.
The most annoying thing was that I was told only cash was accepted for payment as no credit card system was in place, this wasn't a problem. A couple of days after checking out I checked my credit card to find they had taken the security deposit from my card, so obviously they did have card facilities. Not what you would expect from a hotel.
Breakfast is around a shared table with other guests which is nice and the location is good also.
Hosts were also nice and helpful.

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

We were very welcomed at the hotel, the service and attention given by Joost was excellent. I highly recommend to stay here whenever you go to Amsterdam! (my review actually ended before, but TripAdvisor insists in 200 characters at least, so...).

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

All rooms are different in size, so don't compare by the pics you may have seen. Great location, economical prices. We switched to here after the Black Tulip closed a number of years ago, and have returned annually. Front rooms may get street noise in the morning, so we have moved one room back. No view, but who stays in the hotel? Staff has always been great. Basically gay singles and couples and that's what we're looking for. Spyker Bar and Club Church are within one minute. Great location near the Museumplein and Leidseplein.

Room Tip: All rooms are walk up. Largest room on 1st floor front.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel and fell in love with it. The staff was fantastic, very personable and took a sincere interest in their guests. The room was very nice, quite spacious for a hotel in Amsterdam with a really nice shower and bathroom amenities. The area where the hotel is located is excellent, close to the Leidseplein which has many cafes, restaurants and bars. It is also an easy walk to most of the attractions in the central part of the city.

Unfortunately I was only there for one night but am looking forward to returning soon. As most reviewers have said the breakfast alone is worth staying there!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I recently stayed for a week at this hotel with friends who were visiting from the US. The hotel staff were charming and hospitable and could not do enough to make us feel welcome. They were very happy to offer suggestions as to places to visit and things to see to make the most use of our limited time. Unfortunately, jet-lag proved to be a bit of a problem but the information was most welcome. The rooms we booked were spacious enough for our needs and provided comfortable beds and facilities. The street the hotel is on can be a little busy but it is difficult to avoid any noise in a city that attracts so many visitors.

I have already made a future booking at this hotel and look forward to the great reception and service we enjoyed this time.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Amistad Hotel? Share your experiences!