“Great location, OK room, fantastic breakfast” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Amistad Hotel

You added Amistad Hotel to your Saves list
Amistad Hotel
2.0 of 5 Specialty Hotel   |   Kerkstraat 42, 1017 GM Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #42 of 189 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Great location, OK room, fantastic breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Stayed here for a week in August/September 2013 and it was the perfect location to explore Amsterdam, party, and relax. This place is very gay friendly with a couple of bars less than 5 minutes walk (Church + Spjker Bar has a great happy hour, to get your night started). The tram is 2 minutes walk, and there are plenty of cafes, coffee shops (there is a difference), and other places of interest within walking distance. Everywhere in Amsterdam is a short stroll or bike ride away! At Amistad, Joost and Dickie were very helpful, and offer a good laundry service, but an amazingly delicious breakfast served at a friendly communal dining table - great for meeting fellow travellers. Try the omelette!

Room Tip: Getting your own bathroom is recommended over shared bathroom.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from our stay at amistad, fantastic service very clean property good location. Breakfast was brilliant very personal service plenty of coffee and juice omelette was amazing.would stay again if we are visiting Amsterdam again ,

• Stayed January 2014
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I've stayed in this hotel a couple of times. The last visit was on in October 2013.

The room I had was on the ground floor. It was a double room with own bathroom. There was free Wifi and TV. The room was a good size and had the added bonus of a small patio which would be useful in the summer - but not so much in the colder October month. As the room was at the rear of the property it was also quieter than the previous room which was at the front and was at the mercy of late night clubbers coming home. The room was great though it felt a little cut off from the rest of the property - it was also under the stairs so you could occasionally be woken up by fellow guests coming home after a night out.....or indeed getting up early for breakfast.

The reception area doubles up as the breakfast room where you are served with a 'continental' breakfast with cooked eggs and toast / pastries etc. Being a little shy I found the shared table a little intimidating - though Im sure a more outgoing person would feel right at home.

All in all - its a good, clean yet basic hotel centrally located and walking distance to the various attractions.

Enjoy.

Fraser

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

booked it as a last minute resort and was very surprised that it's only a 2 star. explanation is simple: no elevator. room was cosy with everything inside including coffee, safe, minibar and desktop pc. stairs are steep. breakfast was excellent. staff was a very nice person that is off at 1800 and leave you the front door key. notice however that due to construction (nov-13) the near by tram line was shut and there is 15min walk to the closest tram station.

Room Tip: steep stairs, go for 1st floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Overall excellent. There were things about the trip that surprised me, but Joost and Mike do everything within their power to make your stay pleasant. One of the surprises was the absolute lack of any interaction between the guests at breakfast, which is served in a common room. I was hoping for some conversation, but alas... This was nobody's fault, though. Joost and Mike aren't Julie from The Love Boat. They're not there to entertain you. And when I thought about it, a lot of the guests are speaking different languages. So after a few days I just slept in and went to breakfast when no one else was there. I had very pleasant conversations with both J & M. The breakfast was good. Very standard fare, but in their defense, Mike did ask me specifically if there was anything I wanted for breakfast, since I was staying for 7 days. I declined, but hey, he offered. And Joost made an apple pie on Sunday that no one even tried, so I'm sure they get tired of putting in extra effort for no reason. This hotel caters to a gay clientele, so imagine the attitude they must encounter at times. It would try the patience of a saint.

At the suggestion of other reviewers, I got the room with bath on the ground floor. I have no idea what the other rooms look like, but for a European hotel room, it was large. One bed (I think it was a queen), a computer (which I didn't use), a safe (which I did), a private balcony for smoking (tobacco or weed), nice bathroom with a shower and tub (which I was told was unheard of for Amsterdam). The best part, though, is that this is one of Amsterdam's "hidden rooms." It's tucked away underneath the stairs, and if they would put a bookcase in front of the door, you would never know it's there. It's a place you could hide someone, ala Anne Frank. I thought it was very cool. Sheets and towels were both nice. The room is super quiet. They cleaned every day around the same time. Free wifi in the room, which was serviceable. Don't expect to do any heavy downloading.

The location is near the Leidseplein, which puts it within walking distance of the old center. Everyone walks or bikes, but there is also a tram stop within steps of the hotel. I bought a tram pass for the week (32 euros) and used it all the time. Don't underestimate the power of the tram.

I was surprised that the price they quoted me when I made the reservation was not all-inclusive. When you get there, they add a substantial city tax. The difference in what they quoted me and what I paid was 68 euros, or almost 100 USD. Nothing in their confirmation email mentions the tax. I prefer quoted prices to be "loaded", with all taxes, fees, etc. Maybe that's just me.

Room Tip: If you have the money, go for the room with bath on the ground floor.
Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

As other reviewers have confirmed, the location is great. In a busy shopping area but away from the trashy part of the city (which is towards the station).

I would class it as a guest house/b&b rather than a "hotel". The guest room we stayed in felt very much like somebody's private bedroom rather than a hotel room. That may appeal some people more than it did us.

The owner and manager have superb customer service skills. Warm, friendly and helpful.

Our only criticism is the horrendously noisy plumbing in the guest room that we stayed in (4). On the first morning we were woken up about 7am thinking there was a pneumatic drill outside. On the second morning we realised it was the water pipes in the wall. I am not sure if this problem related to this room only so it may be worth requesting a room without this problem. Apart from this, the guest house is quiet despite the busy location.

As a matter of interest even though this is one of the city's longest established "gay hotel's" we found the majority of guests appeared to be straight couples on the weekend we stayed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with quiet plumbing!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Roma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

I go to Amsterdam every year for business and this is one of the best experience I had in the city. When I arrived, I found my name with a big Welcome on the main door. The bell is directly connected to owner. Immediately the owner arrives with a big smile and positive energy to take us in. He helps me take my bags in the room. The room is the biggest room I have ever had in Amsterdam. Clean, very well equipped and with a good minibar, TV, coffee machine, hair drier, computer, safety box...etc. My room was on a little street, very nice to wake up and start enjoying the city and get the sun light in. Also bed was very very big and comfortable! Best part of our stay at Amistad was breakfast which is SERVED till late! You sit down and they just take very good care of you, with coffee, toasts, eggs, juices...very enjoyable. A coffee shop is right in front of the hotel if you like and you have easy access to a very good shopping area. Hotel is definitively gay friendly. You can tell from the care of details, cool look of the rooms and excellent service...from beginning to the end. I recommend this hotel even to very demanding business travelers who also need to relax!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Amistad Hotel? Share your experiences!