“Professional, extremely friendly and well located” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amistad Hotel

Save Saved
You added Amistad Hotel to your Saves list
Amistad Hotel
2.0 of 5 Specialty Hotel   |   Kerkstraat 42, Amsterdam 1017 GM, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #25 of 171 Specialty lodging in Amsterdam
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Professional, extremely friendly and well located”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Just returned from a 7 night stay at The Amistad, had the single room on the ground floor - ideal if you don't like steps (like Me), I was very surprised how quiet the room was being only about 70M from three main tram lines.
For an Amsterdam single room this was very spacious, very comfortable double bed with lots of large pillows, large bathroom and lots of storage space including a safe which although small in size did accommodate my 13in MacBook Air and many other bit and pieces.
Arriving at the hotel I was greeted like a long lost friend by Joost, this friendly but professional approach continued for the entire stay with all the various 'team' members i encountered - it was like staying with 'family' - only a lot better!!!
I would recommend The Amistad to any gay guys requiring decent, clean accommodation in the city centre, close to all amenities.
Finally, it also seems to attract a decent type of client of all ages - I'm 66 and felt a lot younger being in their company - an excellent highly recommended hotel (but a little bit more).
I will return!!!

Room Tip: The single room on the ground floor is excellent!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

153 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Tucson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

For those not familiar with Amsterdam, this property is located in a great location. It is just a half block of one of the primary shopping and tram corridors. Numerous trams from the train station run nearby every hour (you do not hear them). The flower market is a couple of blocks away. If you choose not to use the trams, the museum district is about 10 or so minutes away. There are numerous restaurants also within just a couple of minutes.

Joost is a great host and he makes a great "made to order" breakfast.

Room Tip: As a general rule, all hotel rooms in the Netherlands are, regardless of the price, smaller than mos...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Everything about this Hotel was great, staff, service, breakfast. Can't say enough good things. Certainly helped make my first visit to Amsterdam not be my last. The location could not have been better, close to everything.Highly recommend !

• Stayed April 2013
Stockholm
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Very satisfied with my four nights stay here. Simple room, but perfect location and really great service. Thumbs up for the stuff that noticed I had an unexpected night guest and supplied us with extra towels! Great!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
EDINBURGH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I checked into the very central Amistad Hotel on Saturday 16th February for a 5 day break. When I arrived I received the warmest of welcomes from one of the owners - the delightful Joost. he always seems to be smiling and you are immediately made to feel welcome. Everything was ready as normal and I was shown to my room after a very easy check-in.

The room was room 4, on the first floor, its a fairly spacious ensuite room, with a nice comfy bed, enough space for 2, and all you would require from a room. There was a useful safe, tea and coffee making facilities, a great tv, should yor require to catch up on the news, and FREE WI-FI, which is a nice touch. I should point out there is not just free wi-fi, there is also a computer in the room for guests to use - which I made good use off to research the area.

Amsterdam has a real buzz, so I doubt you will be in your room much, but it was nice to return here after a night out. The room is as warm as toast, with a superb heating system, which was nice as Amsterdam in February can be a little cold - but no complaints here, in fact I was so toasty I had to turn the heating down!

After a great nights sleep I wandered down to the breakfast room. They offer cold meats and cheese, which is traditional in Amsterdam, and in addition they do yummy fresh eggs, cooked to your preference, scrambled, sunny-side up, or whatever you fancy. I opted for the sunny-side up option and they were great. In addition to all of this there is the usual apple or orange juice and the freshest of bread - which, if you prefer will be toasted to order.

Breakfast can sometimes be a rather sociable affair as you are served around a large rectangular table, however, most mornings it was quiet in the breakfast room as people tend to have a lie in. The good thing is they serve breakfast from 9am until 1pm - so even if you do oversleep, you are unlikely to miss breakfast.

Now, we come to Mike, I think he is the Manager, or should be!!, Mike is usually on reception when Joost is busy elsewhere, and a more helpful person you will not meet. I have to say I find most of the Dutch people helpful, but Mike just makes your stay. I have stayed with them previously, not in the hotel, but in one of the super apartments in the same street, and always found Mike extremely helpful and friendly.

He will advise on sights to see, arrange trips if you would like, or just chat away to you whilst he prepares your breakfast, and he is always on hand to get you a taxi should you require it at the end of your stay back to the airport.

At the Amistad, they do make you feel rather special once they get to know you, you dont feel like a hotel guest, you begin to feel like friends, and that is very important in smaller hotels.

It really does speak for itself with all the return business they get, they know what their market is and they really go out of their way to look after you.

All in all, I had a super break and just want again express my thanks for a super stay.

Craig, Edinburgh

Room Tip: Room 4 or 5 are on the first floor and are quiet, but all the rooms seem to be quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

After 9 hours flight Joost smile was the beginning of my trip in Amsterdam frankly was an excellent start.In addition the location of the hotel was more than excellent.only one tram stop away from Ieidsquare and 4 stops away from Central Station, Hotel area filled with shops, cafes and bars in addition to its proximity to Club church . on my previous trip to amesterdam my hotel was closer to Central station but Amistad hotel is located in the middle between everything . Hotel room was very clean and reminded me of my room when I was studying at the university, average space equipped with everything you need ,Comfortable clean bathroom, safe, very comfortable bed, computer with fast Internet provider ,nice colours. Actually I enjoyed stay in this hotel and one of the moments that i will never forget when i was having breakfast at the same table with gays and striaght couples and Mike or Joost asking me how do you like your eggs I felt like I was at my grandmother,s house and an invisible hand patting my shoulder and tell me it,s ok no shame to be gay .Nor will I forget when I decided to go to Brussels and joost helped me to print the ticket to the party that i went to , then gave me brussles gay map that helped me a lot to reach places that i want to go as well as he helped me in the selection of clubs and places to go in Amsterdam.In fact even now I still ask myself what if i didnt Book in this hotel would i spend such a wonderful vacation?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

The hotel was full so we stayed in a nearby apartment attached to he hotel - it was excellent: clean and with everything you need. Joost from the hotel was amazing, booked tickets for attractions for us, gave us bar and restaurant recommendations (which were great) - probably the best customer service I have ever had in a hotel. Well worth the price and an excellent location within easy walk of everything.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Amistad Hotel? Share your experiences!