“made my holiday...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amistad Hotel

Save Saved
You added Amistad Hotel to your Saves list
Amistad Hotel
2.0 of 5 Specialty Hotel   |   Kerkstraat 42, 1017 GM Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #38 of 177 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Doha, Qatar
“made my holiday...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

After 9 hours flight Joost smile was the beginning of my trip in Amsterdam frankly was an excellent start.In addition the location of the hotel was more than excellent.only one tram stop away from Ieidsquare and 4 stops away from Central Station, Hotel area filled with shops, cafes and bars in addition to its proximity to Club church . on my previous trip to amesterdam my hotel was closer to Central station but Amistad hotel is located in the middle between everything . Hotel room was very clean and reminded me of my room when I was studying at the university, average space equipped with everything you need ,Comfortable clean bathroom, safe, very comfortable bed, computer with fast Internet provider ,nice colours. Actually I enjoyed stay in this hotel and one of the moments that i will never forget when i was having breakfast at the same table with gays and striaght couples and Mike or Joost asking me how do you like your eggs I felt like I was at my grandmother,s house and an invisible hand patting my shoulder and tell me it,s ok no shame to be gay .Nor will I forget when I decided to go to Brussels and joost helped me to print the ticket to the party that i went to , then gave me brussles gay map that helped me a lot to reach places that i want to go as well as he helped me in the selection of clubs and places to go in Amsterdam.In fact even now I still ask myself what if i didnt Book in this hotel would i spend such a wonderful vacation?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

The hotel was full so we stayed in a nearby apartment attached to he hotel - it was excellent: clean and with everything you need. Joost from the hotel was amazing, booked tickets for attractions for us, gave us bar and restaurant recommendations (which were great) - probably the best customer service I have ever had in a hotel. Well worth the price and an excellent location within easy walk of everything.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Great location, walking distance from the museums and nice gay clubs on the same street-- sauna a couple of blocks away. Simple, discreet and clean hotel-- safe neighborhood, staff very helpful and nice--- they cook you breakfast everyday until mid day ( great if you are partying out and want to sleep). You have free internet in your room-- I stayed there for 1 entire week and I would definitely return again...

Room Tip: If you are definitely the type of person who do not want to share toilet and shower-- go choose the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Joost and Mike are great hosts. They were helpful in directing us around Amsterdam. We stayed for a week, and this hotel is in the prefect location to walk everywhere. Walk to the old city or to the museum district. Lots of bars and restaurants in the neighborhood, including a patissiare open late at night.
I would stay here again in a hearbeat. I thought it was a good value for Europe. The rooms are reasonable size - bigger than the common European size room - and more luxurious. The beds are very comfortable - something not common in Europe.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I have no complaints about this hotel. It doesn't pretend to be a 5 star hotel and you shouldn't expect one. I had one night in Amsterdam before heading into the countryside, and this place was perfect. I received a very friendly welcome and was given loads of information about the surrounding area, which bars & restaurants to go to etc. The room was clean and pleasant, the stairs didn't bother me - you have to expect stairs in this kind of building in Amsterdam right? So not sure why people complain about it.They kindly gave me a free upgrade on the room on arrival so I had my own bathroom which was appreciated. The hotel is in a fantastic location and the room rates I thought were perfectly reasonable.
I have no problem recommending this place to anyone and would probably book there again next time I am in Amsterdam despite being someone who likes to try different places.
I did receive a couple of pretty nasty mosquito bites while there, but that is hardly the hotels fault & is certainly not a complaint - I just want to warn fellow travellers about the nasty little blighters as it didn't even occur to me to check for them.
In summary: For the price, and for what this place is, it was absolutely perfect for my needs & I enjoyed my stay. Thank you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Amsterdam is amazing and the Amistad simply adds to a great stay in the city. Owner Joost and his team (Mike and Rick) made our stay a most enjoyable and memorable one. The location is great and Joost was extremely helpful in pointing out many of Amsterdam's highlights for tourists. I am certain to return to Amsterdam and would make the Amistad my first stop again - THANK YOU to you all for a great stay!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Just returned from a week stay at the Amistad. I had booked this hotel on line and was pleasantly surprised. It is very convenient to shopping, the flower market and the museums. There are about three gay bars on the same street and others about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. Mike, Rick and Joost were great hosts, cooking breakfast to order each AM. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Amistad Hotel? Share your experiences!