“Overrated” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brantford, Canada
“Overrated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

I get that hostels in Amsterdam are pricey. And admittedly, this hostel has a lot of small touches that add up: the Wifi was great, my bed had its own socket to charge my phone, the lockers were spacious, the map tour was useful, there's an adorable cat, etc. There was nothing wrong with my stay.

But I fail to see what completely amazes other reviewers about this hostel and I don't think all of the amenities combined justify the price. I would sooner recommend any of the other hostels I stayed at in Europe where I endured minor inconveniences but got a full free breakfast (not limited to cereal), just as friendly staff, and a much more reasonable price.

Also, be warned that some of the hostel arranged activities are really expensive, or at least they were during my stay. For instance, the sex show was 40 euros. I don't expect something like that to be cheap, but given that many guests are on a tight budget I would have thought cheaper options were called for.

I would stay again if I couldn't find something less expensive, but I found Cocomama overrated.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Lund, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

This hostel is beautiful. It's in an old town house, slightly out of the hustle and bustle of central Amsterdam. The staff are the loveliest, eager to give recommendations, and get you out and about to see what Amsterdam has to offer. There is always something on in the hostel, making it easy to meet people. Beds have their own lights, and the kitchen is fully equipped.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Zagreb, Croatia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

I spent 6 nights at Cocomama and was happy with the hostel - the room was good, the bathroom was always clean (which is a big deal to me) and the bed was comfortable. I liked the staff, they were all welcoming (gave me a full intro to the city on my arrival) and ready to answer my questions. Joop the cat was also happy to say hello. The hostel has a good kitchen, which I ended up not using, but you can certainly prepare food for yourself if that is your preference. I also liked the location, a 10 minute walk from the very centre, and it is also very well connected with trams. I quite like the fact that getting to and from the airport is really painless. The hostel is a bit pricey, but I think that is just how it is in Amsterdam - accomodation is an expense - supply and demand...Oh, and also, they have excellent wi fi, did not have any issues with the connection. I would definitely stay at Cocomama again :)

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I stayed with 3 friends for 2 nights. The first night we were suggested to go for a walk around the red light district, as we didn't want to do the arranged "sex show" activity. The second night we went with the hostel on a bar crawl. It was made out as if we got far more free drinks than reality.

The room was very tidy with clever cubby holes next to your bed. The bathroom was quite small. One morning we woke up to find a missing shower curtain.

The staff were exceptionally kind and welcoming, giving a very good overview of the city on arrival.

The communal areas were tidy too. Free cereal and pasta is a great idea!

The price is quite high, towards the highest for hostels in the city, but worth it if price is less of an issue.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Not just for the young ones; for the young at heart too. My sister and I have just returned from a 2 night stay at Cocomama and can only say good things about the place. The people are incredibly friendly, both staff and other guests, love the 'honestly shelf' in the kitchen, fresh clean sheets on each of the beds as well as clean bathrooms and decants showers. We used both the bikes and trams to get around and were really impressed with how friendly everyone was, either those that weren't smoking!

Cant recommend it enough and hope to return. Thanks Cocomama x

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Cocomama is a really nice place in Amsterdam. It's set on a great location: near the tram and near nice spots of Amsterdam. Nice people, good atmosphere, sociable common room and great bedrooms: very comfortable beds (but véry small...). However, a price of 38 euros for a bed in a 6 bed dorm, is far too much, even though it's a really nice hostel and I know house prices in Amsterdam are very very high, you simply can't ask that for a bed in a dorm with even no breakfast included (there are cereals, but no milk or yogurt to put in in for example). I slept very well there and I like the place (and it was my own choice to sleep here), but to be fair to your guests, I'd say: increase the price with 25%.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

The staff was very friendly, and if you don't mind walking then this is a great place outside of where all the action is going on in Amsterdam. I walked everywhere, and if the weather is nice then it is no problem. The rooms are much smaller than the average hostel, but the bathrooms are much cleaner than the average hostel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Been to Cocomama? Share your experiences!