“Excellent Hostel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 175 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Boulder, Colorado
“Excellent Hostel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stayed for three nights in mid-October. It was definitely one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in. The atmosphere, people, and location were top notch.
The hostel is fairly new, clean and and nicely decorated. I stayed in a two bed dorm that was really great. The upper bed had it's own loft area instead of just the regular bunk bed style. There was an ensuite bathroom that was spacious and very clean. The staff is great to chat with and very helpful in helping you find activities for your time in town. Even though it seems like the hostel is a bit far out from the red light district and Centraal Station, it is still very walkable or a short train ride away.
I traveled solo, and it was a great place to meet other travelers to go out with. Everyone was super friendly. The common area is a nice place to hang out, they have free pasta and rice, and cheap beer in the fridge. They coordinate daily hostel activities such as pub crawls and family style dinners.
I seriously have no complaints, I had great time and would love to come back some day.

Room Tip: The 2 bed dorm wasn't much more than the 4 person dorm, but way more private and quiet. You can...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

This hostel was great! I was able to walk to everything, the beds were comfy and the hostel
had everything I needed. There's a great kitchen/ common room area and a good atmosphere. Everyone was really friendly and the staff were really helpful!

• Stayed October 2013
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I had the best time here. Cocomama has the absolute best staff, who are fun, friendly, and helpful. Britt deserves special mention for being a total boss. The hostel has a great location- in a great part of the city, but outside the red light district, so you can sleep if you want to or go out if you don't. Easy access to public transit, and excellent food nearby, for all different budgets. I had a lower one, and I loved a kebab place just down the street.

The other people staying at Cocomama were also enjoyable. Mature, respectful, and fun-loving. This is one of those rare hostels where it's safe to leave your computer out if you so choose (they have lockers so you don't have to, of course!). I must admit that Amsterdam was not my favorite city on my trip, but entirely thanks to Cocomama (and maybe the Van Gogh museum too) I still had a great time. I can't recommend this hostel highly enough.

Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Absolutely fabulous hostel! Excellent staff, warm and friendly =) Very clean and cozy enviromenment. Large and comfortable beds and nicely decorated rooms. Good location, walking distance from everywhere and trams stop in front of your door. Very good place to meet and hang out with fellow travellers. And most of all, Joop, best hostel cat in the world =)

Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I spent two fall weeks at Cocomama living in the windmill room, a four-person room near the reception desk, and using the common room/kitchen. I kept groceries in the refrigerator, cooked, had laundry done (6€ a load, completed by the next morning), both walked and took the nearby trams, and otherwise experienced much of what Cocomama has to offer in terms of location and services.

The location: Cocomama is excellently situated for guests who want access to the city center without actually staying in the busiest areas. The area felt safe to my 5'2" female self at all times of day and night. There's an ATM around the corner and a large bank across the street, there's a well-stocked chain supermarket a couple blocks away, and several useful tram lines stop in the street outside or around the corner. South a few blocks is the Albert Cuyp street market and inexpensive food options; north is the more upscale Utrechtsestraat shopping and restaurant street that heads toward the center of town. You're also within walking distance of the Heineken Experience "brewery tour" and, further in that direction, the Museumplein, home to the Van Gogh Museum and other major museum attractions. That's a fine walk on a sunny day, too far on a rainy one or if you have mobility issues, but again it's accessible by tram. Finally, I calculated the walk from the red light district to Cocomama to be about 25 minutes on my short legs when I was walking briskly; it was less than 10 when I took a tram.

The hostel: The entrance is deceptively bare, as only the reception desk fits there; doors and winding stairs lead to bedrooms and the common room below. The common room is nicer than I've seen elsewhere, with a mostly functioning TV, oft-used NES, a few DVDs, nice dining tables, two four-burner cooktops, and shared pantry shelves and refrigerator. For the most part, other guests left labeled groceries alone. The spaces were used regularly by guests cooking and eating or chatting in the cushy living room area and playing video games or watching movies, so it was a reliable area to find company for bar or lunch outings. Most evenings there's at least one activity there: inexpensive mixed drinks for purchase, 3€ pasta dinner, or the gathering place before an outing to one of the explicit shows in the red light district.

The rooms: The beds were as excellent as other reviewers say, heavy, wood-framed bunk beds with comfortable mattresses and cozy duvets. Lockers are too small to hold all your stuff, so I ended up using mine for electronics and medications and trusted (accurately) that my roommates wouldn't bother adding my socks to their own travel burdens. Bathrooms are tight but functional, with enough room in the showers for shampoo bottles, a little shelf above the sink, etc--just enough space not to feel cramped. There's not a lot of noise at night unless the folks who live across the backyard are having a party, and closing the window can quiet that; heavy curtains virtually black out the room at night, if that's what you want.

The staff: Friendly, with varying degrees of interest in interacting with guests. Two staff members currently live there, so they're around using the kitchen and working most days; both Elina and Britt were super awesome and welcoming. I also talked a bit with Moo, the only male staff member, who spent many evenings ironing sheets and talking to guests. I didn't interact much with the other folks, though they all seemed nice. Oh, and there's a hostel cat, Joop, who isn't super snuggly but was a good temporary substitute for my own pets.

The guests: When I was there, they were a mix of "this was the first hostel I called that had space" and "I saw how highly rated Cocomama was and didn't need to be in the center of town." Naturally, most were in their 20s, but even among them I think I met about 10 engineers of various types and other interesting professionals in addition to the usual just-out-of-college-and-traveling-for-a-few-months.

So: Cocomama is a hostel, so don't expect perfection, but the convivial vibe and comfortable beds helped me feel at home, and the convenient but removed location gave me access to everything I wanted to experience in Amsterdam. Highly recommended.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Now this is the story all about how
My holiday got flipped, tripped upside down
And I'd like to take a review just read right here
I'll tell you how I had the best time in a town called A'dam.

For someone that has spent almost 150 nights in hostels all around the world, and in countless countries, I still tell everyone that Cocomama's is the best hostel..... ever....anywhere. I just love it. It was my second time here and it was superb. Always greeted by lovely and friendly staff. I planned for 4 nights here but decided to extend another 2 nights, the bodacious and warming staff helped me out and even changed up other things to ensure I didn't have to change beds every day even though I gave them less than 24 hours notice for the extra days.

Indubitably and comprehensively the most comfy hostel beds I have slept in. Let's not lie, I partied my fair amount in Amsterdam and after tiptoe'ing my way back into my room at unknown hours of the morning I still had the most rejuvenating sleeps. All rooms have bathrooms and the beds are super sturdy, no creaks and groans to unexpectedly wake others up....

The common room rocks more than an archaeological dig site, they have a NES to play some Mario (who doesn't enjoy dabbling in oldschool games) and free pasta/rice. Perfect. The staff are gregarious and sociable and most nights they plan 'outings or events' from the common room. Always good fun. And the cat doesn't crave attention, he just sits there sleeping.

If rating this place was on a dial, I would turn it all the way to 11. I give 11 points out of 10.

Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I had a great time at the brothel turned hostel. I got there much before check-in (took the night train into town) but they were able to take my bags, give me a map and point me to a great breakfast place and a free walking tour. One of the workers, Britt, even showed us around to a few more local bars with awesome atmosphere.

The rooms didn't have much free space but both lockers and showers are in the room.

Room Tip: The "Big Brothel" (6 person) and "Little Brothel" (4 person) are on the rear of...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Cocomama? Share your experiences!