“Brilliant trip!” 5 of 5 stars

Westeinde 18, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #14 of 175 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
“Brilliant trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I stayed at Cocomama for 4 nights recently, and I can't speak highly enough of this place. The staff are brilliant and love to socialise with their guests and organise lots of cool activities. I also met lots of interesting travellers and particularly loved the communal / lounge area and the camaraderie between travellers. It is a little more expensive than other hostels but it is worth every penny and more. The rooms are very spacious with high ceilings and massive, comfy bunk beds. They are all themed. I stayed in the windmill room, but there are plenty of others too. The hostel cat Joop was also a little star. I felt sad to leave and will definitely be booking here again when I return to Amsterdam!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stayed here for three nights just recently and had a fantastic experience. The rooms, facilities and service was faultless, but the little touches were what made it so pleasant...free basic food rations, a relaxed, sociable and clean common room, incredibly cheap bike hire and the friendly hostel cat.

The staff took the time to talk to us when we settled in and during our stay, and gave us some great recommendations and advice about where to go and when. We discovered some brilliant little spots with their help, but also had a lot of questions answered about how locals viewed Amsterdam and tourism, what their opinions were about things like the Red Light District and the coffeshop culture.

Thank you for making our stay so comfortable, we would definitely recommend a trip to Cocomama!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

First and foremost the staff are very friendly and helpful. The rooms are excellent with in-room shower/toilet, comfortable beds and good space and the communal area is clean with good facilities (including free wifi) and a homely feel. There are activities to do in the evenings however I myself travelled with a friend and so we were often out in the evenings, but for a solo traveller it would offer something to do and opportunities to meet fellow travellers. The hostel isn't amongst the very centre of Amsterdam however it is close enough to walk to the attractions and cultural locations. It even has a cat!

I would highly recommend this hostel to anyone and everyone looking to visit Amsterdam and have a great time knowing that there is a warm and friendly home to go to.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a map (the hostel provided me with one) and Amsterdam is easy to get lost in!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Great hostel! Good location. Very attentive and welcoming staff - they were willing to do whatever they could to help and to make your stay enjoyable. Some evenings the staff organised activities. Brilliant lounge area with wifi, nintendo, books, board games, sofas. Well equipped kitchen, always kept very clean by the staff. Back garden for sitting out in nice weather. Friendly atmosphere but it was never too loud or over the top. Cute hostel cat called Joop. My room was compact but big enough. There was a large locker for each person. The massive wooden bunk beds were very comfortable. They will keep your luggage after you check out or if you arrive too early to check in. English seemed to be the main language.There was nothing to complain about really. I don't think I've ever stayed in such a clean hostel. A little more expensive that some Amsterdam hostels, but for what an enjoyable stay I had, it was worth it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Mountain View, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Cocomama was my first time staying at a hostel in Europe, and they totally delivered. The staff was warm and inviting, the beds were incredibly comfortable, and it was great for a solo traveler such as myself because it was really easy to meet people. I took advantage of their bike rental service as well; it really is the best way to get around the city! Cocomama felt like a home away from home. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Grande Prairie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Absolutely a wonder full stay! Clean! Great bed and sheets! Amazing staff, friendly, helpful, and social. Really enjoyed the bike rental service. I loved the supplied food essentials (spices, pasta, and rice). Awesome and clean kitchen. I made supper almost every night and ate every breakfast at the hostel. And the cat was a pleasant and enjoyable breakfast buddy! Worth every penny!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
merimbula
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We have just stayed at coco mama and I almost feel homesick for it. when we were researching Amsterdam hostels this one has such good reviews. although it was a bit more expensive we decided to spoil ourselves and i am SO glad we did!! such a lovely stay in Amsterdam. This place has so much character. we spent the first night in a 4 bed dorm which was fine but then we Moved into a double room for the last two.. WOW!!

We stayed in the 'farmer' room.. Decorated with dairy cow prints, a patch work quilt and THE most amazing bed.. It was so lovely it felt like we were in a 5 star hotel.

The common areas are great ( free rice and pasta) with a clean kitchen. the staff are lovely, we were greeted personally and shown around, They also go through a map and highlight key spots to go.

One of those places where you'll be happy you paid a bit more, we would definitely stay
here again, no doubt.

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Cocomama? Share your experiences!