“such a brilliant place to be...” 5 of 5 stars

Cocomama
Westeinde 18, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #12 of 176 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“such a brilliant place to be...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Me and my friend stayed at cocomama for 4 nights, we are both 24 and went on a little break away to amsterdam to do the usual things, coco mamas has such a lovely vibe about it, we met other travellers from around the world, and chose to actually stay in the communal living room kitchen area on a couple of occasions at night as it was such a great place to be. the showers are powerful, we shared the canal themed room with two other travellers, the rooms are small, but the beds are sooo comfy and the duvets are really warm, and good quality. I have told all my freinds to stay at coco mama if they ever go to Amsterdam... its so nice, and i will 100% be going back!!! oh also it was really clean, and the kitchen (which is also lovely) has two fridges, one honesty fridge, which is stacked with beer and wine, a glass of wine or a beer is 1 euro. the other fridge is for your own food if you want to cook there.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
boynton beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

We stayed in the tulip room (downstairs) and it was very clean. The room is average size for amsterdam and perfect for 2 people. The bathroom had all new fixtures and while it wasnt huge, it was much better than most hostels where you dont have a private bath. I didnt see any of the other rooms, so I cannot comment on them.

I stayed in Amsterdam about 3 years ago, and stayed at 2 other hostels, so I have some comparison. Cocomama was extremely clean, the staff was extremely friendly. The common area/kitchen/garden were all great too. The location isnt 'down town' per se, but its a 5 min tram ride from just about anywhere youd want to go. As a plus, it doesnt come with the noise, crime, seedy creatures of the hostels that are closer to the train station. It also Its close to the 2 night life areas with the clubs and restaurants, there are some coffeeshops walking distance if thats your thing, there are markets, ATMs, and all of the necessities.

I liked the hostel a lot and this would be my first option for booking if i make it back to amsterdam again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Tilburg, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

me and my boyfriend were in amsterdam for the weekend we stayed in this hostel and it totally felt like home, we hardly wanted to leave the hostel to check out the city.

This hostel is so comfortable, it feels like home away from home.
people working there are really friendly and helpfull with everything, whether you need advise about where to go in town or when you are in need for aspirines.

they have a big living room where u can relaxed at the comfortable couches, watch tv, listen music or play games. its a great hang out to meet up with other guests aswell, they have a big open kitchen you can use with lots of supplies for free.

also the room we had was amazing, the royal room, it had a big round super comfortable bed and the whole room was decorated in royal style. perfectly clean. bathroom with shower and toilet in the room aswell.

i def will come here again when i go to amsterdam, its a great place and really in the city centre

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Burnaby, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

i was very pleased with this hostel, though the people i met really put it over the top, and that has little to do with the hostel itself. however, it was clean, the staff were all really nice. the kitchen/common area was super cute. will stay again if returning to amsterdam for sure.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Venice, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

I stumbled upon Cocomama last year while trying out new hostels in Amsterdam, my favourite city in the world. I can safely say it is the most comfy, clean, and hospitable hotel/hostel I've ever come across. I work in the travel industry, for the last 10 years, and have stayed in over 100 hostels, 15 different ones in Amsterdam alone, until I found this gem. The staff immediately make you feel right at home and show you around the common room, which is meticulously cleaned twice a day by the staff. Although being a bit messy myself, I really appreciate how clean and new the kitchen and cutlery was. Never once did I smell that musty or moldy smell common in so many hostel kitchens. You know the one I'm talking about.

I could go one about the included pasta, the homey common room,the big comfy mattresses, the themed rooms or the beautiful back garden, but ultimately it was the staff that really made my stay unforgettable. Being a quite busy and popular hostel, they were usually quite busy, but still had time to strike up a conversation, and to come out with the guests on more then a couple occasions.

I personally take issue with the previous review on here, working in the industry, I know what personality types are out there, and some people aren't happy unless they are complaining, or get into a negative mindset once one thing isn't to their liking. To those I say: stay home.

I've enjoyed myself so much there, that I've returned a couple times, and only stay somewhere else when I feel that I must keep expanding my knowledge of the city. Otherwise I've never felt more at home.

Room Tip: The room with the two single beds seems like best bang for buck, although the red light room is cool...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

I was just in Europe for 3 weeks and stayed in a bunch of hostels. Cocomama was by far my favorite! The girls that work there are super nice and the place is very clean. There are curtains on the bottom bunks and the top bunks are high enough that you get a good amount of privacy. The common area and kitchen are just one big room-it would be hard not to meet people here! Both nights I stayed it was easy to find a group to head out to Leidseplein with. There's an honesty bar where you drop a euro into the piggy bank and take your choice of a glass of wine, beer, juice, or water. Super convenient! The hostel is about a 25 minute walk from the central area of Amsterdam or a quick tram ride. The Heineken Brewery is a 5 minute walk away and the Van Gogh Museum is a 10-15 minute walk. There's a very friendly cat named Joop who lives at the hostel (which is indeed mentioned on their website!) and there's a very pretty garden out back. If I go back to Amsterdam I would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

This hostel was completely over rated and disappointing. Upon arrival the sheets were dirty and were covered in other travellers body hairs, not the nice kind. After asking for the sheets to be changed, the second lot were covered in the same unwanted suprises. Not to mention the attitude which was recieved after this was brought to managment´s attention. We also found the bathrooms and downstairs toilet filthy.

There is no atmosphere. It was completely dull and boring. If you enjoy the sound of the crickets, then this place is for you. But if your keen for some fun and some excitment, please reconsider.

Also, be warned, there is a cat that lives in the building. This was not mentioned anywhere and is not suitable for people with allergies or animal issues.

We think they should reconsider their ´ boutique´ image

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Lotje H, Owner at Cocomama, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear happytraveler749,

Thank you for leaving us a review. We are alarmed to hear your negative feedback. We highly value guest satisfaction and your complaints were dealt with instantly and with a friendly attitude. We make up our beds with clean sheets for every guests' arrival, and we immediately changed your sheets when you brought a stain to our attention. Unfortunately sometimes stains do not come out in the laundry and may have been overlooked by our housekeeping staff when making the bed. However the new sheets were inspected and did not have any hairs or stains on them.

Further, we organize activities for our guests almost every day, such as family style dinners, movie nights, pub crawls and private canal tours on the Cocomama boat. Of course it is up to the guests themselves if they decide to participate in these but there are no crickets to be heard.

We mention our cat Joop and have photos of him on our website and in the property description of every booking website we are subscribed to. We have allergy pills available to those that are allergic but in two years we have only ever had to give these out once. We have, however, received hundreds of compliments on how great and cuddly Joop is and we even have guests who have come back several times just to see him again.
Joop is usually asleep in the corner of the living room and he is not allowed access to guest rooms so we don't really see how his presence affects our guests if they don't like having cats around.

All in all we do not think any of your complaints are grounded and if you couldn't have a good time at Cocomama, we wonder if you have ever had a good time travelling at all.

We think you should reconsider your 'happy traveller' image.

Kind regards,
team Cocomama

Been to Cocomama? Share your experiences!