“Best hostel in Amsterdam!” 5 of 5 stars

Cocomama
Westeinde 18, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #11 of 171 Specialty lodging in Amsterdam
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Best hostel in Amsterdam!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

I was just in Europe for 3 weeks and stayed in a bunch of hostels. Cocomama was by far my favorite! The girls that work there are super nice and the place is very clean. There are curtains on the bottom bunks and the top bunks are high enough that you get a good amount of privacy. The common area and kitchen are just one big room-it would be hard not to meet people here! Both nights I stayed it was easy to find a group to head out to Leidseplein with. There's an honesty bar where you drop a euro into the piggy bank and take your choice of a glass of wine, beer, juice, or water. Super convenient! The hostel is about a 25 minute walk from the central area of Amsterdam or a quick tram ride. The Heineken Brewery is a 5 minute walk away and the Van Gogh Museum is a 10-15 minute walk. There's a very friendly cat named Joop who lives at the hostel (which is indeed mentioned on their website!) and there's a very pretty garden out back. If I go back to Amsterdam I would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

256 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

This hostel was completely over rated and disappointing. Upon arrival the sheets were dirty and were covered in other travellers body hairs, not the nice kind. After asking for the sheets to be changed, the second lot were covered in the same unwanted suprises. Not to mention the attitude which was recieved after this was brought to managment´s attention. We also found the bathrooms and downstairs toilet filthy.

There is no atmosphere. It was completely dull and boring. If you enjoy the sound of the crickets, then this place is for you. But if your keen for some fun and some excitment, please reconsider.

Also, be warned, there is a cat that lives in the building. This was not mentioned anywhere and is not suitable for people with allergies or animal issues.

We think they should reconsider their ´ boutique´ image

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Lotje H, Owner at Cocomama, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear happytraveler749,

Thank you for leaving us a review. We are alarmed to hear your negative feedback. We highly value guest satisfaction and your complaints were dealt with instantly and with a friendly attitude. We make up our beds with clean sheets for every guests' arrival, and we immediately changed your sheets when you brought a stain to our attention. Unfortunately sometimes stains do not come out in the laundry and may have been overlooked by our housekeeping staff when making the bed. However the new sheets were inspected and did not have any hairs or stains on them.

Further, we organize activities for our guests almost every day, such as family style dinners, movie nights, pub crawls and private canal tours on the Cocomama boat. Of course it is up to the guests themselves if they decide to participate in these but there are no crickets to be heard.

We mention our cat Joop and have photos of him on our website and in the property description of every booking website we are subscribed to. We have allergy pills available to those that are allergic but in two years we have only ever had to give these out once. We have, however, received hundreds of compliments on how great and cuddly Joop is and we even have guests who have come back several times just to see him again.
Joop is usually asleep in the corner of the living room and he is not allowed access to guest rooms so we don't really see how his presence affects our guests if they don't like having cats around.

All in all we do not think any of your complaints are grounded and if you couldn't have a good time at Cocomama, we wonder if you have ever had a good time travelling at all.

We think you should reconsider your 'happy traveller' image.

Kind regards,
team Cocomama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Okay, that's an ( only slightly ) misleading headline. The fee they listed was about $50 per night. But I paid 3 times for one stay. First, somehow I accidentally made a booking through an online hostel company which had my credit card info for a time when I was not actually going to be in Amsterdam. Cocomama would not reverse the charges, even though I never confirmed or showed up. I could sort of see their point, if it was indeed true that it was the booking company's fault. Still, if they rented the bed, they should have returned my money or split the difference as a show of good faith.

Second, I stayed there and paid in cash.

Third, when I was back at home, they charged my credit card for the stay again. Because I could not produce a receipt for the original stay, they refused to reverse the charges.

It was the first time I stayed at a hostel. It was my attempt at being chintzy with cash and adventurous with people. The people weren't generally a lot of fun because all most of them were there to do was achieve a state of perma-high. Also, the attention to bathroom-cleaning was dodgy. I ended up cleaning it myself. Back to the hotels, it is.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Lotje H, Owner at Cocomama, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property. However, unfortunately the facts you state are false. We did not charge you three times for one stay. We charged you for a reservation you made in March, and did not show up to. This will happen in every hotel in the world. When you make a reservation with your credit card, no further confirmation is required and the card will get charged if you don't cancel or show up.

When you did stay with us two months later and left without paying, we contacted you for a proof of payment. You said you had paid with card, but when we tried to trace the payment it turned out you had not paid. So we charged your card. All in all you paid once for your no show, and once for your stay.

We are sorry to hear you did not find our bathroom cleaning sufficient. Every room has a private bathroom and they all get cleaned every day. Since you stayed in a room shared with three others, perhaps one of them took a messy shower after we had been in to clean it.

We wish you safe travels and hope you have been enjoying better stays in hotels.

Kind regards, Cocomama
Kings Park, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

Cocomama is the only place worth staying in Amsterdam! Being a friend of a previous worker in the hostel meant I was priveliged enough to it's ins and outs, their dirty little secrets...only there are NONE! Cocomama provided a safe, friendly atmosphere where you're likely to meet some of the best people around. It's staff are absolutely wonderful and always happy to pass on a ton of information about the area with a map to ensure you'll find everything you're looking for and more. Their rooms are expertly cleaned from top to bottom, each with it's own creative decor and their beds are absolutely to die for! Bathrooms are gorgeous, better than mine at home I think. Once a week they serve a full plate of pasta with beer for 3 euro at dinnertime...and it's absolutely delicious. Hopefully you remain honest as there is also a small orange fridge with a pig where you deposit your euro for a nice chilled beverage, conveniently located in the kitchen, next to a couch, a flat screen tv equipped with nintendo and enough dvds to entertain anyone on a slow day, computers with free internet, and Cocomamas beautiful garden out back. Cocomama is truthfully one of a kind, there is just so much character inside it's walls. I would never hesitate to pass the name on to a friend nor return there myself.

Room Tip: No room is better than any other, it just depends on how many people you want to sleep with.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

I went there at the beginning of August with a friend of mine. We were a bit skeptical when booking because the price was quite high (in our opinion) given that it was only a hostel, even if it's a more "upmarket" hostel. We paid a bit over 110€ per night for a double room with private bathroom but probably accommodation is generally expensive in Amsterdam plus August is peak season.

We were welcomed very warmly by the staff. Kim was super nice and very helpful, she gave us an introduction into the hostel's history and showed us everything on the map (from supermarket, ATM to places to eat, clubs etc.) She even put our luggage in our room,.

I didn't see the other rooms so my rating is just based on the room we occupied and the common area.
The hostel has a fairly big common area with kitchen, couches and tables where you can have your meals.
There is kitchenware that you can use so it's great if you want to cook something yourself. There's also a fridge where you can store your food and they provide spices, oil, onions and garlic for free (nice touch!).
Since we had great weather we enjoyed sitting in their lovely garden. It's closed from 9pm in order not to disturb the neighbors but since we were out anyways it wasn't a problem for us at all.
It reminded me a bit of a student dorm, very cozy. The big plus factor is that everything was tidy and clean. They also had movies and games but we've actually never stayed in so we didn't make use of it.

The tulip room was tiny and there's not much space to store your luggage. We were fine with it as we had brought hand luggage and could manage. The bathroom is very clean with a modern shower, soap & towels are also provided. The only drawback is that the room is facing the street and the windows are not insulated so you can hear everything, especially when the crowd gathers in front of your window (the main entrance is next to it) to go party together.

The location is great, nice neighborhood. It's a around 12 min by tram from the central station. The main sights are within walking distance, we've just taken the tram to get to the hostel from the train station and back. A supermarket is located just 5 min from the hostel.

Would I come back again? Yes, I would because I appreciate the cleanliness of the hostel and the warm and welcoming staff. As I said, I find the price a bit high but on the other hand I don't know if it's because accommodation in Amsterdam is expensive.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Roberval, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed 3 night at Cocomama, Amsterdam. Friendly staff with touristic guide background for some of them. Kitchen and lounge well equipped with wi-fi, computers, flat screen and all usual kitchen stuff. Nice private rooms with modern bathroom. No breakfast service. Free coffee and tea 24h. Go see their facebook page.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

My friend and I each packed a bag and back-packed across europe, staying at many different hostels. Hands down, Cocomama Amsterdam, The Netherlands was the best hostel all around! Great people, friendly atmosphere, great loaction, and to top it off, the staff is so helpful when it comes to wondering where to go day/night/day trip, you name it! We had an amazing time getting to know the owners-- amazing people!

You'll enjoy your stay here, we know we did! We'll be heading back in January 2012!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Cocomama? Share your experiences!