“great service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Sebastian's

Save Saved
You added Hotel Sebastian's to your Saves list
Hotel Sebastian's
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Keizersgracht 15, 1015 CC Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #14 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

me and my husband and 2 boys aged 8 and 5 had wonderful stay here.
fab room, great shower and bath.
room bit hot, but managed air con in end!!
breakfast was very good value esp for 5 year old who was free.
staff so helpful esp at breakfast.
central but quiet.
cant recommend highly enough!!

Room Tip: great family room in basement, huge!!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

519 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I chose this hotel during a recent stay in Amsterdam based on recommendations from locals (rather than those recommended by the conference) and am so glad I did! The small hotel is located in a very central and scenic part of Amsterdam, about 2 blocks from the Anne Frank house and on a canal. You can walk many places from here or easily catch a bus/tram or canal ride; I felt very safe walking there both during day and night. The hotel is very reasonably priced for Amsterdam. Rooms are very small but clean, with great showers (warm, good water pressure! - very important) and a very comfortable bed. Wi-fi was included. The best part, however, was the customer service. Staff members were extremely friendly and took time to answer any questions I had and even went out of their way to help me when I misplaced my adapter. Not a large lobby, but they do have a small bar/restaurant. I would definitely welcome staying here again the next time I am in Amsterdam. I would highly recommend this hotel unless you need full amenities such as a swimming pool and fitness center.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Stoke-on-Trent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I returned for a 2nd stay in January at this lovely little hotel. The staff are very helpful, and the place is always welcoming. They have a nice purple and black theme in the entrance and bar area to relax in after a day sightseeing, and a well furnished, laid back smoking area behind glass closed doors just off the bar, also important for me. The rooms are recently refurbished to a high standard, everything is cosy with a touch of luxury. Eric and Petra, and the proud owners of both this and the near by Toren hotel. I would definitely return, and highly recommend this well priced hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Just returned from a 2 night stay in Sebastion's Hotel Amsterdam.

It was the high level of customer service which really wowed us and enhanced our stay. Without exception the hotel staff were friendly and extremely helpful.

The Hotel had confirmed in advance by email that it would be possible to leave our bags with them and explore on our first day, we arrived well before the official check in time of 2pm. It was around 10.30am when we reached the hotel and the receptionist contacted housekeeping who said the could have our room ready in about 10 minutes if we were prepared to wait. We ordered drinks in the hotel bar and it was literally 10 minutes when the receptionist came in to tell us the room was ready. When we offered to pay for the drinks the bar staff said to regard them as a complimentary welcome drink.

The receptionist gave us a great street map and marked various places we were interested in visiting during our stay. She also provided a list of recommended restaurants in the area and offered to make reservations on our behalf. We visited Seasons(Dutch Informal) and KInnaree (Thai) both of which were enjoyable.

The trip was to celebrate a special wedding anniversary and a chilled bottle of bubbly and a nice note from the hotel were waiting in our room when we arrived, a lovely touch.

We were in room 229 which is described as a medium double with canal views by the hotel. The room is quirky as it includes the goods hatch right at the apex of the building. It is lovely sitting overlooking the canal but be careful the beams in this room are low, my husband banged his head on more than one occasion! The Nepresso Machine is a bonus and the coffee pods etc.are topped up each day. More than sufficient milk and sugar was available and we happily spent time at both the beginning and end of the day enjoying a good coffee and the great view.

If I was ultra critical the room could probably do with someone casting a critical eye over it to tidy up some of the small details. A fresh lick of paint is required in places as some of the surfaces are getting chipped. This probably more obvious due to the dark paint colours used in this hotel and someone needs to get a very long feather duster and knock down a spiders web in the apex of the roof however, we loved it. It was cosy and comfortable. A bath would have been welcome to soak in at the end of a long day sightseeing but the bathroom would not have been big enough to accommodate this and the shower was lovely and powerful. As several people have mentioned the lighting is subdued which can make drying hair and applying make up interesting but we found it added to the ambiance and we managed. A bulb which was out during our visit was mentioned to reception and was replaced within 10 minutes, another example of the great service. This is not a busy street and we were not bothered by noise from outside or inside the hotel during our stay.

We sampled the hotel breakfast and the range of food available was more than adequate for a relatively small hotel. There was a choice of 4 or 5 cereals, juices, yogurt, cold platter of cheeses,meats etc. hot breakfast of scrambled eggs, streaky smoked bacon, mini sausages, beans, mushrooms etc. breads, pastries and a mixed fruit salad. Not bad value at €10 per person. We had paid €5 per person in a cafe for a muffin and a coffee on the morning of our arrival. At the time we visited if you booked direct with the hotel and mentioned Tripadvisor on your booking you received a 50% discount on the breakfast cost which made it even better value.

The location of the hotel is excellent. Just around the corner from Anne Franks house and the Monday Market. The Jordaan is a lovely area to wander around with great independent shops and restaurants. It is only about 10 minutes walk to the Centraal Station and the trams if you want to go further afield.

The hotel held our luggage for us again on the final day of our visit without charge which enabled us to make full use of our time in the city.

Nothing was too much trouble for the staff in this hotel they were always happy to assist with directions, bookings or information and seemed genuinely interested that their guests enjoyed their stay in Amsterdam. Little touches made our stay all the more memorable and were really appreciated.

I wouldn't hesitate to visit Sebastian's Hotel again or it's sister 4 star hotel the Toren as it appears the Customer Service ethic comes direct from their owners Petra and Eric Toren who have emailed us since returning to the UK to say they are glad we enjoyed our stay. My husband was so impressed with the hotel he wanted to thank the staff via reception before we left.

Room Tip: Well worth paying the extra for a canal view room.
Longport, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

I highly recommend this hotel for a stay in Amsterdam. I actually chose this hotel over a larger 5 star hotel because I wanted culture. It did not feel too touristy and was in a somewhat residential area but still close to everything. Small shops and cafes seem to be everywhere. Very safe. Amsterdam is one of my favorite cities in all of Europe and its because this hotel really gave me an awesome experience. The central canals are the best location. My only knock would be the rooms are decorated like a cheap motel, which I didn't understand. The staff were all VERY friendly and helpful. The little bar is also a nice area to hang on. Overall this place is a great choice!

Room Tip: Ask for a view on the canal!
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

Nice rooms.Very clean and good beds.Central location close to Amsterdam Centraal.Everything we wanted to visit very close and walkable.Nice decoration of room.Free Wifi. Helpful staff.Very happy with my choice

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Having been to Amsterdam a few times I really wanted a hotel near a canal in the grachtengordel region. It was perfectly situated a 10 minute walk from the train station on a quite canal. We had a small room with a canal view. We enjoyed drinking coffee looking out over the canal in the morning and evening. The staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly. I really could not fault them. I will certainly come back.

Room Tip: I would recommend a canal view. There is no better way to start the day than with a fresh coffee and...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Sebastian's? Share your experiences!