“Friendly hotel in the heart of Amsterdam” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Hotel Sebastian's to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
Hotel Sebastian's
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Keizersgracht 15, 1015 CC Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #16 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Friendly hotel in the heart of Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Having been to Amsterdam a few times I really wanted a hotel near a canal in the grachtengordel region. It was perfectly situated a 10 minute walk from the train station on a quite canal. We had a small room with a canal view. We enjoyed drinking coffee looking out over the canal in the morning and evening. The staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly. I really could not fault them. I will certainly come back.

Room Tip: I would recommend a canal view. There is no better way to start the day than with a fresh coffee and...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

534 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
st paul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

As a family we loved this hotel, though anyone would appreciate the great location and a sense of 'real' Amsterdam as opposed to the crowded noisy tourist Amsterdam. Keizersgracht is a quiet street on a canal with little traffic, mostly families on bikes going about their daily business.
The hotel is very close to the Anne Frank house and the canal tours, and a few of the smaller museums/attractions. It took us 12 minutes to walk to Centraal Station but you have to know the route or it can take much longer, Amsterdam is not an easy city to navigate unless you have an excellent sense of direction and can keep an eye on the names of streets, they change almost randomly.
The hotel has been described as 'a classic boutique hotel with a little bit of Amsterdam bordello thrown into the decorations' and that does sum it up pretty accurately. The staff is very attentive and the room we had was very clean, we always do the mattress check and Sebastian's passed.
Our room, 337 must have been one of the best in the hotel. Very large, one queen and a single (small daily surcharge for the single) with a nice view of the large courtyard so common in old Amsterdam. Our kids loved the room, plenty of space and fun stuff to look at.
We walked a few blocks to the Noordermarkt for breakfast, very nice, great place to buy food, flowers, clothes and souvenirs.
The public transport hubs are close, we took the tram to the Rijksmuseum without any problem, it does involve some walking but very convenient.
Overall, I can't imagine staying anywhere else though we would consider Sebastian's sister hotel 'The Toren'.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

I've visited Amsterdam twice and both times I stayed at this hotel. If you want to stay in a central location, close to the shopping areas, train station, Anne Frank house and on the quieter Keizersgracht canal then this is your place! We had a canal view room and it was so serene! Its in a quaint traditional Amsterdam townhouse along the canal which I preferred to a typical hotel.

* The rooms are a bit small but very clean, modern and the plum color is very plush.

*Complimentary breakfast was provided every morning and it was a great selection of fresh fruits, pastries and hot food. More than adequate to get your day started

Overall it is a great hotel especially considering you will probably only spend time there to sleep.

I will warn you that the steps are very steep.

* Walking distance or a quick bike ride to trendy shopping areas, The Pancake House (a must!), Anne Frank House, Dam Square and the red Light District.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

My partner and I stayed in Hotel Sebastian's for our first time in Amsterdam and were not disappointed. Approximately 10 mins walk from the train station, and within walking distance of all the main restaurants, bars and shopping areas, Hotel Sebastian's is set in the ideal location on Keizergracht, a quieter area of Amsterdam. The hotel fits in well with the townhouses along the canal and only the purple 'Sebastian's' signage in the windows are the hotel's giveaway.

Upon arrival the receptionist was extremely welcoming and polite, taking the time to ask about our journey before listing a number of key attractions and places to visit in Amsterdam with the aid of a map which she left with us. The hotel have even gone so far as to provide a list of recommended restaurants with map - a touch i found to be very thoughtful.

We booked a small room with a canal view and were warned by the receptionist that the small rooms are very small, but upon opening the door to our room I was more than satisfied. You get what you book and in comparison to other European hotel rooms, our room in Sebastian's was comfortable and cosy. There was enough room for two suitcases to be stored and still walk easily around the bed, sit in the two chairs to view out the window and the bathroom was bigger than I expected with a wet room style shower.

The room was beautifully decorated with a free tea and coffee machine, mini-bar, complementary toiletries etc. The bed was one of the comfiest I have slept in whilst abroad in Europe and was the main reason why my partner and I chose to skip breakfast each morning and spend the extra hour catching up on sleep.

Housekeeping was top notch and our room was spotless with the bed made, bins emptied, mini bar and coffee machine restocked each day. We even had a lady from housekeeping knock to ask if the standards of housekeeping were acceptable, which of course we were more than happy to answer positively. The only thing I would say is that the walls in the hotel seem to be thin, and although the hotel can't help the noisy residents of other rooms slamming doors and wardrobes, the housekeeping also was very noisy with every sweep of the hoover being very loud when in the room next door or below. That said, we were out during most of the day exploring and so this wasn't too much of a problem unless we wanted to have a lazy morning.

Due to number of restaurants, bars, shops and cafes nearby we did not experience the hotel's breakfast or bar service although I have no doubts they were fantastic if the rest of the service was anything to go by.

Overall, I would highly recommend Sebastian's to anyone wishing to visit Amsterdam without staying in the hustle and bustle of the main shopping or restaurant areas. It was perfect for us!

Room Tip: Canal view rooms are very pretty and street noise is a minimum
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for my 23rd birthday and had a lovely stay. All the staff was more than helpful, the hotel lovely and in perfect location. They gave me a free drink at the bar for my birthday and let us keep our bag behind on the last day until our flight at no extra charge. I would defiantly recommend this hotel if you visit Amsterdam.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Braunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

I stayed here on my own and had a great time.
The girls on the front desk were so friendly! My room was sumptuous decorated in purple, thick carpet and great views of the canal.
The coffee machine was a real bonus!
My room was warm and the bed so comfortable.
The location is right on the canal and 10 mins from the train station. In a very safe area especially if you are on your own.
I will come back to stay next time I am in the country.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

We chose this hotel from Trip Adviser recommendations for our first time in Amsterdam and were not disappointed.

It was well located, around a ten minute walk along the canals from our drop-off point at the central station. We liked the fact that the hotel frontage looks like one of very smart canalside townhouses, with very discreet hotel signage. Inside the decor is very stylish, we were greeted by friendly and helpful staff who were able to admit us to our room early. When we returned from our walk later it was unfortunate that our ceiling had sprung a leak from the roof, but the staff immediately sprung into action, changing us into a larger upgraded canalside room. They also gave us a free breakfast, thus we give them top marks for service and problem-solving.
The upgraded room was very comfortable, although you had to watch your head on the beams. It included a great sitting area over looking the canal. Downstairs we loved the cosy bar area and the breakfast offering.

It felt like a personalised operation with a good group of people looking after us, individual thoughtful emails in advance of our stay and friendly bar and reception staff.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Hotel Sebastian's? Share your experiences!