“Terrific Boutique Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Sebastian's

Save Saved
You added Hotel Sebastian's to your Saves list
Hotel Sebastian's
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Keizersgracht 15, 1015 CC Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #15 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Watford
“Terrific Boutique Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is a truly lovely hotel set in one of the more residential areas of Amsterdam, however it is also very close to the main city centre. We had ordered a canal view room and we presented with a top floor, lovely view of the Keizersgracht canal and a pretty street scene.

The staff were brilliant from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. They are always on hand, are always friendly, smiling and attentive. They helped us with travel arrangements around the city and restaurant recommendations.

The rooms are as you would expect in a boutique hotel, smallish and in the trendy boutique style the hotel and rooms are full of dark, rich colours. If there is a criticism it that the room is a little dark, and didn't have much 'surface' space to put things. The nightstands were very small and the table was occupied by the brilllliant free coffee machine - a nice touch.

In terms of location is it blessed by being within 10 minutes walkof the Centraal station (so no need for taxi) and even less time to reach the start of the main Amsterdam city centre area and its bars, restaurants and coffeeshops. There are some delicious bars just around the corner which are a little quieter and cosy but the street for the hotel itself is quite and peaceful.

Breakfast is a little pricey at 20euro's but in terms of quality is fine.

Overall, a great place to stay.

Room Tip: You are in Amsterdam so a canal view room is a must
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

518 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We were there in late June 2013 and had a canal-front room. The view was spectacular and we sat in our open window each evening watching the canal traffic. The location is very good, with many restaurants nearby and a very easy walk to the Anne Frank House. It is also very close to the train station. The bed was very comfortable (on the soft side), but the bathroom had very poor lighting for shaving and doing make-up. The room was small as expected with very little storage. The staff was friendly and helpful. We have fairly high standards and enjoyed this place very much.

Room Tip: You definitely want a room with a canal view in this hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We just returned from our mini European trip and one of our stops was in Amsterdam where we celebrated my 40th birthday. Sebastian's is a wonderful little surprise and breath of fresh air! We arrived a little early and we asked if our room was ready, which it was not but the staff stored our luggage and asked us to return in an hour. When we returned our room was ready and our luggage was already in our room, along with little treats in honor of my 40th. Thank you Petra and Eric for your letter that you left in our room, plus the strawberries, champagne and chocolates. We enjoyed everything!

We stayed in room 108, which is on the ground floor right off the dining area. Our room was completely updated, at least from what I have read in previous reviews. We were overlooking the canal, our bathroom was HUGE by any standards, with a beautiful soaking tub, standalone shower and private toilet area. The bed was extremely comfortable, and they were able to accommodate a separate small, but comfortable "twin" size bed for my son. The colors of the room are dark, but I honestly didn't find a problem with them? They are very soothing and perfect for sleep. The room also has air conditioning which worked very well (best we encountered on our trip).

Breakfast is delicious and the young woman that works the breakfast area is so charming and sweet, I felt as if she was an old friend. The breakfast is buffet style with lots of choices...from eggs, bacon, to sweets, yogurt, cheese, cold cuts, fresh juices, croissants with Nutella (my favorite!!), tea, coffee....everything!

If we return to Amsterdam, I would love to stay here again! In the meantime we can only recommend it to our friends and on this site.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: Room 108 is wonderful!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Bel Air, Md
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We booked a triple room in Sebastian's for 4 days. We had a car and were able to drop off our luggage (there is a little spot right in front) prior to parking out of town. Driving in Amsterdam is not fun! We parked on the ring road at a park n ride for a reasonable 8 euro/day with free tram transport back to the hotel and then back to the park n ride at the end of our stay. There are lots of these parking lots around the city center, so check it out if you are traveling by car. The staff was very friendly and warm. We especially liked Charlie (female) in the dining room..she was so sweet and full of information. Our room was one of the smallest in our 2 weeks of traveling. The decor is unusual, dark and "tired". The black painted furniture and rugs need updating as does the wallpaper. The bathroom had a step up, which was annoying. The room was very clean, and although a bit cramped was fine for our 4 days. If you book directly with the hotel, you get fresh strawberries and chocolates and 1/2 price breakfast buffet at 5 euro. The breakfast was very good, with scrambled eggs, delicious coffee, baked goods and other typical European fare..it can't be beat esp for the price (full price is 10). Sebastian's is located in the quieter Jordan area on a canal. There are cafe's nearby, and a very good laundry service about a 5 min walk away (drop off your laundry and pick it up clean and folded for 9 euro per load). There are 2 terrific outdoor markets on Sat, very nearby...we spent several hours browsing around. I would rate the hotel very good with excellent breakfast, staff and location. Enjoy Amsterdam, it is an amazing city!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My husband and I just enjoyed a week-long stay in Amsterdam. I had read the reviews of this hotel online, and was not disappointed in the slightest. We booked a small double room, not facing the canal, and were immediately emailed the dimensions of the room and the bed to make sure it would work for us. I chose to save some money and keep the small room, and I'm glad I did because it actually turned out to be a little bigger than I thought it would be! And, our view was of a lovely terrace on the back of the property. The room was always spotlessly clean, and the bed was the most comfortable I've ever had in a hotel. My husband is particularly fussy about his pillow, and even brought one alone on the trip, but it turned out he didn't need it- the pillows at the hotel were fantastic! Also, they left a complimentary bottle of prosecco in the room because I mentioned we would be there to celebrate my 30th birthday. I never heard a peep from anyone else in adjoining rooms, and we enjoyed the best sleep we've ever had in a hotel.
Also, the location could not have been better. Close to the Anne Frank house and the Jordaan, close to wonderful restaurants and shops, and the train station was within walking distance. We never had to venture far for wonderful dining options, and the hotel staff was nice enough to make dinner reservations for us during our stay.
I am SO glad I booked at this hotel, and I'll absolutely stay here again if we ever go back to Amsterdam.

Room Tip: the small double room is actually not too small. It was fine for my husband and I, we had plenty of...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights with my family. Superb location, walking distance from Central train station and to major atractions. Nice boutigue hotel, had a large room, very clean. We enjoyed having coffee machine in our room. Extraordinary friendly and helpfull staff. If I visit Amsterdam again I would book this hotel :-)

Been to Hotel Sebastian's? Share your experiences!