“I wasn't sure at first, but it was great.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of AMS Suites

You added AMS Suites to your Saves list
AMS Suites
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Elandsstraat 3, 1016RW Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #92 of 323 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Paramaribo, Suriname
“I wasn't sure at first, but it was great.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is not your "normal" hotel. A week or do before arrival I was emailed a pin code and room number. I didn't think too much of it until I arrived at 8 am on a Friday morning and public holiday. My pin code did not work and neither did my data on my phone. Strangely, my reservation details had no phone number. The local espresso cafe did not have wifi. Lesson learned- ensure you have the phone number. If you arrive early, you will need to call and arrange for someone to take your bags. There is no check in desk or anyone there. You access your room through your pin code. When I did get to my room, it was up three steep sets of stairs. I was actually wondering if I had made a big mistake. I hadn't. Room was modern , large and looked out over yards. Location is in Jordaan- near Anne Frank house. Bathrooms were trendy and it was quiet- mind you I was top floor and I'm not sure if that makes a difference. There are big windows that open, fridge, coffee maker ,etc. the bed was very comfortable. There is excellent wifi. There are no phones. No worries- email the property for anything. They arranged my taxi and it arrived 5 minutes early at 4:25 am. It felt very strange to me at first as I wondered how I contact staff. It is all email. I would stay again. There is breakfast offered but I left too early. A grocery store and great restaurants and shops are all in this trendy neighbourhood. I never saw another guest but heard doors a few times so I know others were there. The entrance looks residential and there is no sign but they give great instructions on how to find it.

Room Tip: Have a mobile phone and make sure to have the phone number off the website. You must be able to cli...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
NY, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We would stay here again. It was easy to catch the bus from the airport just as they said it would be. And the neighborhood is great for strolling, dining and getting to the Amsterdam museums and sites. The steps are steep and our suitcases were a bit bulky and heavy but its definitely the Amsterdam experience to stay in a canal house. The room was large, the bed comfortable, the bathroom modern, and the refrigerator was convenient. We did have a bit of a learning curve with the lock on one of the three doors to access the room but because we had early "check-in" the cleaner was there to open that door and we never had another problem. Also should note there was very good email communication leading up to the stay. Minus a star because some may have trouble with the stairs but we would stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a front room and there was no problem with noise. The view of the guy sleeping across the na...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Lausanne, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Wonderful and strange.
No reception, nobody, informations through email how to go in. But the result is a wonderful and modern design huge room (what is not so frequent in Amsterdam) with all the comfort you could imagine, modern bathroom, free wifi, coffee and cookies. You won't see anybody during your stay ... I suppose some pixies come to clean during the night. But you are looking for a discrete love story stay, you will be happy

• Stayed February 2015, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2015

I can't really fault anything with the room itself as its big, everything works, beautifully decorated and did I mention it was big?

However it sells itself as a 4* hotel and charges itself as such. It is not a hotel, it is a luxurious hostel and one without any type of reception or indication at the entrance. If you arrive early, you're screwed as you don't have anywhere to leave the bags and there are no receptions. I understand they do try to accommodate you if you tell them you're arriving early though.

The stairs are very narrow and steep, lugging my 23kg bag up it was hell.

Location is great and I love the Jordaan area with its quirky cafes and boutiques and proximity to both the museum quarters and central amsterdam.

I would say it is what it is and if they had charge it as a hostel (around a 3* hotel instead of a upper 4* hotel), I would definitely give it 5 stars rating but for this price you could get better (if smaller).

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2014 via mobile

Felt like home!
Luxurious and quiet, even if located close to the center. Walking distance to everywhere.
Coffee facilities with lovely mini cakes every morning. Very comfortable and spacious for a couple. I still remember the light and warm feeling of the bed!
Great choice!!!

• Stayed May 2014
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2014

This isn't a 'normal' hotel, you get a numeric pincode emailed to you a week before your stay, plug it into the keypad at the door to get in. You have to pull your bags up three flights of stairs, which took my husband about 1 minute and you only have to do it once. You use the same code to get into your room. The room was so modern and gorgeous with french doors that we had open all the time. Bathroom, super modern. Great location. Room was made up daily. We LOVED!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to AMS Suites? Share your experiences!