“Great location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sandton Hotel de Filosoof

Save Saved
You added Sandton Hotel de Filosoof to your Saves list
Sandton Hotel de Filosoof
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Anna van den Vondelstraat 6, 1054 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Ranked #231 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
San Francisco, California
“Great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

Nice location in a lovely neighborhood adjacent to the park. I stayed in one of the suites, which I was surprised to find in a townhouse across the street from the main hotel. This wasn't a problem per se, and the townhouse type location allowed me to pretend that I actually lived in Amsterdam (and would be great for a family stay). If you want to use the hotel amenities, such as the lounges or bar, though, I would stay in the main hotel.

The suite seemed recently updated, as the kitchen and bathrooms were new looking and the bed was very nice. I was surprised, then, that the carpet had stains and the plaster was chipped. This wasn't a big deal, but detracted from the overall niceness of the room.

I was slightly off-put by their practice of charging upfront, though I see that this is their routine practice. upon my departure, bar charges were included in my bill which were not mine. Both of these detracted from the experience.

On the whole, I thought this was good value for money and perhaps I am being too hatch with just an average rating.

Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Turkish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

Great Location - right off a park and in a very pretty neighborhood. The room itself was also nice, with direct access to an outdoor courtyard. The bathroom smelled a bit like mildew and the room itself was cold. I loved the theme and the decor was cute.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Buffalo, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

The room itself in pretty poor shape. A very amateurish mural on the wall, mismatched furniture, badly stained carpets, faded drapes, a dorm-room quality bed -- just basically in bad need of updating and refreshing all around. The wi-fi signal did not reach my room, which was a particular disappointment.

On the plus side, the staff were extremely, extremely friendly and helpful. Super accommodating, lovely people. My room had a small but very clean and recently-renovated washroom with modern fixtures and great water pressure. The neighbourhood is lovely -- not super touristy, but lots of nice wandering nearby. Lots of great reasonably-priced restaurants, close by the park, right on the #1 tram line.

If you're looking for somewhere just to basically crash inexpensively, this would suit. I wouldn't stay here if I planned to spend any serious time at the hotel itself. Lots of potential, but investment needed to make this into a better class of hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Pinhoe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

I was staying here on business. Check in was very efficient and all the staff I met were friendly and helpful.

I normally stay in rather bland 4 star chain hotels so it was nice to be staying somewhere with local character.

The public areas were clean, cozy and nicely decorated. There is a lift to the upper floors if you don't feel brave enough to tackle the VERY steep spiral staircase. I would recommend not using the stairs if you have feet larger than a UK size 4 or have drunk any alcohol in the previous 24 hours! You will need 100% attention!

You need to know that the rooms vary a lot in terms of size and quality - some are even in a separate building over the road. My room looked nothing like those you'll see on the Hotel website. The rooms on my floor were themed and decorated in what first struck me as a slightly hippy 1970s style. I wasn't too keen when I first saw my room but I have to admit that it grew on my during my stay. If you're a 'glass half full' type of person you'd say that the room has character. The room was a reasonable size with a very high ceiling. I had a view over the nice garden at the back, I think it would be a very good place to relax with a drink in the summer.

The shower room / toilet looked like it had recently been modernised. The shower was very powerful and the water lovely and hot. As others have mentioned, the shower screen only covered about half of the shower enclosure which means that no matter how careful you are, the whole of the bathroom floor and the toilet gets wet which isn't ideal.

The bed was a little tired but I got a reasonable nights sleep during my stay, partly helped by the very thick curtains that kept the room dark in the morning. The radiators in my room were easy to control and I could change the temperature in the room very quickly.

There is free WiFi downstairs and some can get a signal on the second floor - I did which was a nice bonus.

Breakfast was a reasonable mix of hot and cold food. At 15 euros though, you may prefer to take a stroll and find a cafe nearby.

The hotel is in a quiet street in easy walking distance of local shops, a nice park and several museums and galleries. I walked to the Van Gogh museum one afternoon; took about 15 minutes. There's a tram stop (line 1) about 200m from the hotel. Great for getting back to the central station and some of the main shopping areas on route.

Overall, nice stay. I'd be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: Because the rooms vary enormously, I'd recommend asking for photos of your room or to see your r...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Hotel de Filosoof is a hotel with clean and cozy rooms and friendly personnel. It is situated just outside of the center but is very easy to reach by tram. Also, Leidseplein is on walking distance. The room we stayed in was small, but was decorated nicely according to the philosopher theme. Everything was clean, the bed was great and I especially liked my high-pressure morning shower. Check out time was eleven o' clock, which is quite early to me but convenient in comparison with other hotels in this price range. We payed a bit more than 70 euros for one night what makes me believe that this hotel is great value for your money in Amsterdam.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I would rather stay at nice 3 star, than a poor 4 star. The good points of Hotel Filosoof. 1) rooms nicely decorated with a theme. You don't feel like you could be in any city in a big brand name hotel that doesn't really care about you: hence point 2) free wifi: 3) nice cotton sheets on bed. this can be overlooked. I can't stand polyester mix sheets; 4) The location is not super central, but it is convenient/pleasant.very near Tram no. 1 stop, the museum quarter and overlooks a park, the vondel park: 5) my room was quiet and overlooked trees and more trees. very tranquil for a hotel in a city like Amsterdam; 6) nice shower pressure; 7) the staff were great.
The bad points: 1) the bathrooms are small, and have minimal shelf space to leave your toothbrush etc; 2) the hallways are small and the stairs steep and narrow. but that is the architecture of many Dutch buildings.
Breakfast tip. go to Het vlaamsch broodhuis on eerste constatijn huygen straat. 5 min walk.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Beavercreek, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

The hotel is very quaint,but the bed was terrible. The center of the bed was so indented that when you rolled over you experienced the sensation of falling. The shower had a tiny glass partition that did not protect the bathroom from experiencing the shower, too. The toilet and the floor were soaked despite every attempt to keep the water in the shower. Staff were hit or misss, some were great, while others were not so helpful.

Room Tip: Make sure you are clear if you want a double bed, this is not a gurantee. If you have any physical...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandton Hotel de Filosoof? Share your experiences!