“It's a good 3 star hotel but rooms vary enormously.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sandton Hotel de Filosoof

You added Sandton Hotel de Filosoof to your Saves list
Sandton Hotel de Filosoof
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Anna van den Vondelstraat 6, 1054 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Ranked #242 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Pinhoe
“It's a good 3 star hotel but rooms vary enormously.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

I was staying here on business. Check in was very efficient and all the staff I met were friendly and helpful.

I normally stay in rather bland 4 star chain hotels so it was nice to be staying somewhere with local character.

The public areas were clean, cozy and nicely decorated. There is a lift to the upper floors if you don't feel brave enough to tackle the VERY steep spiral staircase. I would recommend not using the stairs if you have feet larger than a UK size 4 or have drunk any alcohol in the previous 24 hours! You will need 100% attention!

You need to know that the rooms vary a lot in terms of size and quality - some are even in a separate building over the road. My room looked nothing like those you'll see on the Hotel website. The rooms on my floor were themed and decorated in what first struck me as a slightly hippy 1970s style. I wasn't too keen when I first saw my room but I have to admit that it grew on my during my stay. If you're a 'glass half full' type of person you'd say that the room has character. The room was a reasonable size with a very high ceiling. I had a view over the nice garden at the back, I think it would be a very good place to relax with a drink in the summer.

The shower room / toilet looked like it had recently been modernised. The shower was very powerful and the water lovely and hot. As others have mentioned, the shower screen only covered about half of the shower enclosure which means that no matter how careful you are, the whole of the bathroom floor and the toilet gets wet which isn't ideal.

The bed was a little tired but I got a reasonable nights sleep during my stay, partly helped by the very thick curtains that kept the room dark in the morning. The radiators in my room were easy to control and I could change the temperature in the room very quickly.

There is free WiFi downstairs and some can get a signal on the second floor - I did which was a nice bonus.

Breakfast was a reasonable mix of hot and cold food. At 15 euros though, you may prefer to take a stroll and find a cafe nearby.

The hotel is in a quiet street in easy walking distance of local shops, a nice park and several museums and galleries. I walked to the Van Gogh museum one afternoon; took about 15 minutes. There's a tram stop (line 1) about 200m from the hotel. Great for getting back to the central station and some of the main shopping areas on route.

Overall, nice stay. I'd be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: Because the rooms vary enormously, I'd recommend asking for photos of your room or to see your r...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Hotel de Filosoof is a hotel with clean and cozy rooms and friendly personnel. It is situated just outside of the center but is very easy to reach by tram. Also, Leidseplein is on walking distance. The room we stayed in was small, but was decorated nicely according to the philosopher theme. Everything was clean, the bed was great and I especially liked my high-pressure morning shower. Check out time was eleven o' clock, which is quite early to me but convenient in comparison with other hotels in this price range. We payed a bit more than 70 euros for one night what makes me believe that this hotel is great value for your money in Amsterdam.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I would rather stay at nice 3 star, than a poor 4 star. The good points of Hotel Filosoof. 1) rooms nicely decorated with a theme. You don't feel like you could be in any city in a big brand name hotel that doesn't really care about you: hence point 2) free wifi: 3) nice cotton sheets on bed. this can be overlooked. I can't stand polyester mix sheets; 4) The location is not super central, but it is convenient/pleasant.very near Tram no. 1 stop, the museum quarter and overlooks a park, the vondel park: 5) my room was quiet and overlooked trees and more trees. very tranquil for a hotel in a city like Amsterdam; 6) nice shower pressure; 7) the staff were great.
The bad points: 1) the bathrooms are small, and have minimal shelf space to leave your toothbrush etc; 2) the hallways are small and the stairs steep and narrow. but that is the architecture of many Dutch buildings.
Breakfast tip. go to Het vlaamsch broodhuis on eerste constatijn huygen straat. 5 min walk.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Beavercreek, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

The hotel is very quaint,but the bed was terrible. The center of the bed was so indented that when you rolled over you experienced the sensation of falling. The shower had a tiny glass partition that did not protect the bathroom from experiencing the shower, too. The toilet and the floor were soaked despite every attempt to keep the water in the shower. Staff were hit or misss, some were great, while others were not so helpful.

Room Tip: Make sure you are clear if you want a double bed, this is not a gurantee. If you have any physical...
Norfolk, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

We were in Amsterdam for 10 days; in Hotel Filosoof for 4 days. It was awful. Our other hotels were fabulous.
Fodor's likes this hotel-- DO NOT BELIEVE WHAT THEY SAY!!!
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
WAY OVER PRICED.
WAY OVER RATED.
NOT NICE, RATHER TAWDRY
CRAPPY SERVICE.
PATHETIC BATHROOMS.
THE OVERALL GENERAL MANAGER IS 22 YEARS OLD! YES, AND THE RUNNING OF THE HOTEL REFLECTS THIS FACT. I MET HER; SHE IS CLUELESS ABOUT LIFE AND THE NEEDS OF TRAVELERS, CHILDREN, PEOPLE, ETC.
Other specifics:
-It cost about $280 per night, was the most expensive hotel by twice on our trip, and it was the worst in every category
-They wanted the entire bill paid in advance and were very unhelpful about this-- I refused on the spot, and they backed down
-We booked a large single bed for 2 people, but they gave us two singles-- I had to refuse and decide to leave prior to their changing us to a larger double/queen size
-The toilet (all toilets in Holland come out of the wall) was weak at the wall and moving around a bit-- we advised them but they did nothing.
-The partition between the shower and the rest of the 3 foot by 6 foot bathroom-toilet area was only 18 inches or so. No shower curtain. Every time we showered, the entire bathroom was soaked. A definite inconvenience (this is an understatement)
-The mattress was lumpy to the extreme, with humps in the mattress up to 4-6 inches in height, large trough like areas, and ridges that stuck up into one's back during sleep
-Internet (wireless from the hotel) was very bad, and this is an understatement. It was mostly non-functional.
-We were told the room was the largest, but it was tiny. They lied as I saw other rooms, all of which were slightly larger though still very small and cramped in general.
-The staff was mixed-- some were very helpful; others rude, condescending and totally unhelpful. One staff member repeated the mantra "we are not responsible" about eight times until I begged her to at least give me an answer to a question. Exasperating
-After I was sent (by the hotel manager) to the breakfast room to heat my coffee in the microwave, the head housekeeper came screaming at me across the breakfast room that I cant use the microwave-- in front of all the guests (about 10 of them, eating quietly). She later apologized, but it was rather humiliating.

Room Tip: Just don't go here. You may not get what they agree to give you in advance (see comments above)
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

This hotel is very nice. Although the decor is a little dated, it is spotlessly clean. The staff were very helpful at all times. We were up on the 3rd floor, a really steep stairs up to it but the lift was also an option. Our room was spacious & clean. Our en-suite bathroom was recently renovated & although small, perfectly adequate. We did not have breakfast (15 euros each - way too expensive!!) but there are cafe's & a supermarket nearby. Great location, near van gogh museum, beside vondelpark. Overall, highly recommended & I would definitely return

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

Horrible room. Very small, dingy, worn, dark room with tiny bathroom. Bathroom WAS the shower, just a shower curtain beside the toilet and a wand shower on wall. No bar of soap or shampoo, etc. No place for suitcases and only 4 hangers in the closet. We had to ask for towels each day. Had to pay upfront, or would have tried to move. On plus side, quiet area, near Park with easy tram ride to Dam Square, etc. and computer with internet access for guests.

The pictures online look nothing like the actual rooms - or at least the four we saw. Hugely expensive for what we got, almost $1,000 Canadian for four nights. It was the only hotel we could find when we booked a month earlier. Would never stay there again!

Room Tip: Book early for Amsterdam. This was the only hotel we could find for the four nights we were in Amst...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandton Hotel de Filosoof? Share your experiences!