“Perfectly Humble” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rob Wigboldus Vishandel

Rob Wigboldus Vishandel
Zoutsteeg 6, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Centrum)
020 626 33 88
Neighborhood: Centrum
Sydney, Australia
“Perfectly Humble”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Honest humble sandwiches with the best herring we've ever tasted. Perfect with a pilsner in the cosy shop front. Rob was so cheerful it was like you were with family. A must visit for a light lunch (or you could have several sandwiches!).

Hong Kong
“Taste like heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

You may think it's exaggerated, but the herring there really tasted like heaven!!!! I was not a fan of herring, but after dining there, it completely changed my view!! Herring was so fresh and delicious!! We kept reordering more and more!!!!!!!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Charmed by a Sandwich.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

It was not really one sandwich, they were two. And it was not just any "vis", it was smoked eel. And then there were charming Rob, and delicious breads to choose from. And even if eel is not as abundant in the sea as it used to be, it WAS in my eel sandwiches for only €4.50 each! You can try to improve on your sandwiches with pickles, onion, maio and what-have-you, my husband always does that, but I'm faithful to my motto "Why spoil a good thing?" Smoked eel needs no improvement, any other flavor will take away from the smoked taste of eel.
Rob closes shop at 4PM, so if you want your sandwiches for an early evening snack or even dinner, ask Rob for "take away". He told me they keep 2 hours without refrigeration, and till night in your fridge. He was right, I believe he cannot go wrong, period.
If you eat lunch, there are three smallish tables where to enjoy your meal. Even if it's a lunch place it is too small to allow for more sitting space.
I'm an eel fan but Rob offers also herring, salmon, mackerel, cod and others I was not able to identify. If you sit at a table you can also have a salad.
Since Rob is so good, there is now copetition on that block of Zoutsteeg. Don't be fooled, if you come from the Rokin, Rob is the SECOND "vis" sandwich shop.
I'm very far away from Amsterdam now, but as I write my mouth waters. Please, have one for me!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Glasgow
“Delicious Sandwiches”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Lovely guy serving seafood in a tiny place with just a couple of tables. Had two sandwiches,. Herring with onions and gherkins then Mackerel with Mayo. Both delicious. I meant to go back for hot smoked eel and rollmops but did not make it. Would definitely go back here.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
White Plains, New York
“this the best herring I have had.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

we tried three types, matjes, pickled, and fried herring(haring). The owner served us himself while filleting the days fish. we have been there twice so far and hope to go again. go earlier in the day
because some types run out.

• Visited October 2013