“Excellent, just excellent!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rob Wigboldus Vishandel

Rob Wigboldus Vishandel
Zoutsteeg 6, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)
020 626 33 88
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 2,445 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Neighborhood: Dam Square
Moscow, Russia
“Excellent, just excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

My friends and I had only half a day to spend in Amsterdam while travelling and for a snack we were recommended to try these wonderful herring sandwiches. I am so glad that we followed this recommendation and instead of going to a restaurant had a chance to sit at one of four tables in this tiny shop and enjoy watching Rob make the sandwiches for us - the best things we've ever tasted made of fish! We made only one mistake - we left the place after eating without buying any as takeaway! We started regretting it as soon as we got aboard the train to the airport. Next time we are in Amsterdam, we'll definitely go there!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

San Francisco, California
“Best herring in the world!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I first found this place several years ago, and I couldn't get enough of the herring and eel. I came back home and raved about it... tried to find anything similar, but nothing you get outside of Holland is quite the same. I even chanced upon a Holland festival back home where they had herring -nope. Similar, but not the same. Thought I was imagining it after a while -maybe it wasn't as good as I remember it? But then I came back and it's like, YES! That's the amazing herring I recall! Nothing else like it. And the place was the exact same as before, with the exact same friendly guy cleaning the herring behind the same counter. That's what I love about Amsterdam -all these small family businesses that stay in business for years and years instead of chains swallowing them up or crowding them out.

Truth is, you get a similar product at a lot of the herring stands, but there's more variety here, and drinks, and warm place to sit down, so it remains my favorite. We went there for breakfast almost every morning -yes, the breakfast of champions!

Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Best Aring and Eel sandwiches”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I spent three night in Amsterdam and I ate 8 sandwiches from this shop. White bread and fresh fish, simple but scrumptious and the price is very good. The only problem is that this is in Amsterdam and I live in London and I can't go there to eat his sandwiches soon.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
“Classic herring sandwich”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Superb ! Tasty and worth a visit, easy to find and was pleasantly surprised by the place, served by Rob and he prepared and dished up a classic herring in a roll with gherkin ...

Amsterdam
“One to do while your in Amsterdam!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

This a must to visit in Amsterdam, a small pitoresque fish shop with very, very fresh fish in all kinds.

• Visited August 2012