“Modern hotel, conveniently located, great staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oosterdoksstraat 4 | 1011 DK, 1011 DK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Special Offer
Summer Sale - Save 10%
Ranked #45 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
JENSEN BEACH
“Modern hotel, conveniently located, great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed for four nights after a Viking river cruise. The cruise port is a short walk away (in the rain) and the central train station is about 10 minutes away by foot - very convenient. And from the train station it's a short, inexpensive, train ride to the airport. But more importantly this is an ideal location to explore Amsterdam. We took one tram to the Rijksmuseum but decided to walk back and as is always the case in Amsterdam the walk took us to new, unusual, and interesting places. We walked everywhere else in this inviting city.

The hotel offers warm cookies at check-in (can't beat that) and the rooms are adequately sized with everything you would expect in a hotel that is only a few years old. It's a large hotel with 500+ rooms but not hard to get around in.

If you go with an executive room you get access to the executive club just off the lobby on the ground floor. That gets you access throughout the day and in the morning there is a more than adequate complementary breakfast. In the evenings there are snacks along with wine, beer, and other non-alcoholic drinks.

A special complement is owed to the staff - front desk, executive club, everywhere. They go out of their way to help. We borrowed umbrellas, got directions to local restaurants, got tickets at the front desk to the Rijksmuseum (get there EARLY or you WILL wait in LONG lines, and of course there were the cookies (and bottled water and apples all day long at the front desk)! Next time I'm in Amsterdam this is where I will stay.

Our first night we realized we were on the 10th floor directly under the nightclub. We heard a bit of noise but we were apparently very tired and didn't have a problem sleeping. The next night was a different story. It was Saturday and the locals decided to party hearty. The noise was unbelievable - it sounded like the band was in our room - literally. At about midnight I called and asked how long the bar upstairs was open and I was told 1 a.m. At about 2:30 nothing had changed so I put on some clothes and tracked down the night manager. She told me I had been given bad info and that the bar was open until 3 a.m. She said she would change our room but could not since they were 100% full that night - I told her I would not want to change rooms for a half hour but a change for our next two nights would be appreciate. That was all taken care of the next day and everything was right with the world.

Some local restaurants I can highly recommend all within walking distance: Ganesha Indian - as you can guess Indian - as good a Saag as I have ever had; Aneka Rasa - Indonesian with a great rice table; and La Paella for a Spanish restaurant with a very nice, inexpensive menu.

Room Tip: I would avoid a room on the 10th floor - especially if it's a room under the sky lounge - it can...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
I am very happy to read your comments and I really appreciate you took the time to write such a long review in order to share your experience with the world.

I am very sorry about the noise you experience due to party at our Sky Lounge, on the other hand I am glad our staff took care of this and offered you a room change at the next day so that you could not be bothered with the noise anymore.

Great to read you found our location to be very convenient and easily reached the highlights of Amsterdam without any problem.

I am definitely looking forward to welcoming you again and thank you so much for considering staying with us in your next visit to Amsterdam.

Should you need any assistance with your booking please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

3,035 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (863)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Woking, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights last week. Found the hotel new, clean and rooms were well equipped. Good breakfast (very good selection of food on offer) and a Starbucks on site was very handy. Location was convenient for sightseeing and local restaurants.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
First of all I would like to thank you for staying in our hotel and writing this nice review. This is really appreciated!

I am happy you liked our hotel, specially our breakfast! and found our hotel rooms well equiped.

How great to hear that you found our location to be convenient and that you could reach the highlights of Amsterdam and local restaurant without a problem.

I hope to welcoming you back soon to our hotel!
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We traveled from London to Amsterdam by train and we stayed at the DoubleTree Amsterdam Centraal Station for 3 nights and were pleasantly surprised. The hotel is located within easy walking distance from Centraal Station and is in the heart of all of the attractions. The view from the room was stunning and I would highly recommend that you stay here if you are every in Amsterdam. The staff were nice, warm and friendly and the warm chocolate chip cookies are to die for. Along with providing directions to local attractions, the staff were very gracious to even provide detailed travel directions to our next destination upon our check-out. I will always remember the politeness of the staff, the cleanliness of the hotel and will definitely be staying at the DoubleTree the next time I am in Amsterdam.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much fo taking the time to share this with us. It is great to hear you had such a nice experience at our hotel. I will definitely pass on your nice words to our staff; they will be very happy with it!

I hope to see back soon!

Claudia
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

There were 3 of us that booked a room here and we didn't really know what to expect however it exceeded what we could have imagined.

I think the stand out thing here is that all the staff were extremely friendly, polite and helpful. The room was in my name and my friend arrived 4 hours earlier than me. Unfortunately he couldn't check in, however was given access to the Exec lounge early without checking in.

I was slightly concerned initially with the close proximity of the rail station but I didn't hear a thing from the outside.

Overall we had a great stay and certainly set the tone of the whole weekend. Can't complain about the Smoked Salmon and eggs for breakfast neither.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review regarding your recent stay with us!

I am so happy to hear you describe our staff as extremely friendly, polite and helpful. We do everything possible to create a unique experience for every guest in our hotel I will most certainly pass along your kind words to the entire staff!

We are all looking forward to your next stay with us,

El Dorado Hills, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

This hotel contiuned to go above and beyond during our entire 6 night stay. From the room upgrade and making our day when we returned from our Paris trip. The Doubletree Amsterdam was top notch! The location is perfect and just steps away from Centraal Station. Rooms are sound proof and very clean!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

It is really rewarding the read this kind of reviews! I am so happy you had an Anniversary of a lifetime and that you enjoyed your stay with specially on this special ocassion!

I would really love to welcoming you back soon.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Excellent hotel with convenient location. Be sure to request a quiet room away from railway lines. Of course, you still get some noisy guests who return at various hours of the night. The breakfasts are first rate with an amazing choice available and food is constantly replenished as supplies run low. The dinners were delicious and served in comfortable, pleasant surroundings. Service is first rate. Luggage can be stored free of charge on departure day. No hesitation in recommending it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your positive feedback, it is really appreciated!

I am naturally pleased to read you enjoyed our service, breakfast and dinner. I am also very happy to read you would recommend our hotel to other travellers, thank you!

We hope to welcome you again in the near future!

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I had to overnight at Amsterdam on my way from Rotterdam after a week business trip. My next flight would be the day after. Conveniently searched online, I found the relatively new DOUBLE Tree by Hilton at Amsterdam Central Station, because it was not there yet in my previous trip.

I liked the location, just as you walk out of Central Station, turn to the left, and walk for about 5 minutes or so is the hotel conspicuously at the nex corner with a very odd designed building. It's very convenient if you are using the train to go anywhere after. It was convenient for me to go to Schipol airport early the next morning. It was easy also to go around Amsterdam is just across the river is already the red light area, and a few more minutes walk to the Dam Central.

The rate was also kind of reasonable even if we booked just a week before we arrive.

Of course, I love the most is the welcome chocolate cookies that they give to guests when checking in. They give it to you warm thus the chocolate just melt in your mouth . It was nice gesture to welcome guests. Imagine it was so cold outside and then when you queue to check in (there was a bit of chaos during queue as just too many people), their staff hands you a brown paper bag, warm when you hold it, and when you open it was the chocolate cookies. What a bliss.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for sharing your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We greatly appreciate it!

I am happy to hear you enjoyed our location and our warm chocolate chip cookie at check-in.
We would love to welcome you back in the future!