“Centrally Located Great Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oosterdoksstraat 4 | 1011 DK, 1011 DK Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Offer
Book early, up to 20% off
Ranked #49 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New Delhi, India
“Centrally Located Great Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

This hotel is ideally located - centre of everything . Central station is 2 min walk, damrak is 5 min walk. We were lucky to be given check in with ready rooms on 9 floor around 1.30 PM. Front desk & Conceirge were prompt & courteous. Rooms are of descent size with nice view of city/canal. Special mention of Mac in everyroom & free WIfi. Breakfast was sumptuous. We opted for museum ticket from front desk , it saves time for standing in ticket Q at museum & also this ticket gives us option of Cancelling the ticket & crediting money back into our account in case we decide to bypass museum. Other thing we opted was Full day ticket from front desk ( 7.30 euro) & this ticket gives us unlimited rides in trams, buses for 24 hrs.We went to skylounge on 12 floor , it has awesome views over amsterdam. Not to be misssed.

Room Tip: Go for high floor room with views over city/canal.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
You took the time to write a review and I really apreciate that. Great to hear you like the hotel. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,044)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
nowra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The Hotel was in an excellent position we could walk to all of the restaurants and close to buses for sight seeing the hotel was very friendly and there was a lot of the staff that could speak English the Hotel was very clean and the beds were very comfy the food was also very good overall we had a very nice stay.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Great to hear you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and off course Amsterdam.I really appreciate your nice comments and to take the time to right a review. I would love to welcome you back in the future.
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This hotel is located just a few minutes walk from the Amsterdam Centraal train station. The location is just great especially when you are arriving later in the day and just want to get to the comfort of your bed. It's quite difficult to miss this big modernistic building on the left side when you step out of the train station, with a nice big sign on the side of the building. However, It's quite strange to try to find the main lobby entrance at the first time because it's not obvious and you are greeted first by Starbucks as you near the building. There wasn't any obvious sign to even show where exactly is the main entrance. A further walk down the alley, after passing the bar and lounge area outside, then you will come to the entrance snucked between two building. Check-in was relatively good and fast with quite many receptionist working at the same time to serve the many customers coming in. A prior notice to them allowed me to check-in first as the room was book under my girlfriend's name and she was arriving a few hours later. I was offered the customary (by Double Tree) warm cookie from the oven and even a card to redeem the next one for my girlfriend. The double room was reasonable in size and came with good amenities that we needed, coffee making facilities, ironing board, and a multimedia MAC which also functions as the entertainment center. Our room was facing the canal and city so it was very quiet at night. There were some rooms which was facing the train tracks and we were lucky enough not to stayed in those rooms as we are both light sleepers. There is WIFI internet available throughout the hotel with good speed connection. In the evening, we could easily walk to the city or take the trams and buses to go further downtown as most of the main tram connections are just right outside the central station. I would recommend this hotel especially to business traavellers or anyone who would need to get good connections in and out of the city any time of the day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for you positiv and detailed review. Great to hear you would recommend us to other travellers. Looking forward to welcome you back.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

It was my friend who booked the hotel. Unfortunately she booked it predominantly because of the balcony rooms to support smoking (on the balcony). Suffice to say these weren't available so we were given an upgrade to a queen suite.

The queen suite was facing Amsterdam and was very spacious with a couch in the living room and a large comfortable queen bed in the bedroom. It had a fridge and 2 Apple iMAC computers that provided internet access and TV Programming.

The main let down was the lack of storage space for a room of its size.

We were also given access to the executive lounge for breakfast in the morning and drinks in the evening.

Overall the room was comfortable and we were well treated and the suite rather than the balcony room was a bonus mainly due to the weather as it rained a lot and so the balcony would have been unusable.

We checked out and left luggage to check back in a couple of days later, whereby we had also booked a balcony room. This time we got it and it was again a spacious room with a very long balcony. If you like to smoke with a view this was the room to have.

Even to the point the hotel has a Sky Lounge on the 11th floor, this was nice but I preferred to sit and have a beer on the balcony.

I can thoroughly recommend this hotel especially as it is a 5 min walk from Centraal station. The staff were courteous and the rooms spacious.

The executive lounge breakfast was average but it was free.

Room Tip: Balcony Rooms are recommended
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your honest comment. This is really appreciated. I would like to welcome you back in the future.
South Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Double Tree was recommended by a local and an excellent recommendation.
Lovely staff, great location central to most things, large rooms with a view, 200 metre walk from the train station.
The lounge / ar on the upper level was a good spot for view, a drink or a relax

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you so much for you nice feedback. Lovely to hear you enjoyed you stay. Looking forward to welcome you back in the future.
Atlanta, GA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I arrived at the hotel at 4:00 PM Amsterdam time and waited behind an unorganized mob that were, sort of being attended to by the front desk staff, who for some reason needed to work in pairs. When I finally reached the desk I was notified that the room that I had reserved was not available because it had not been cleaned. I was asked if I would wait in the lounge but could not be given an estimated wait time. I explained that I was arriving an hour after the 3:00 PM check-in time and found it difficult to understand why my room was unavailable. (I should have asked if they planned to discount my room by whatever percentage of the 24 hour time was lost to the wait, but I didn't think about it.) The clerk asked the manager if there was another room available and after speaking Dutch in front of me, assuming that I did not understand, agreed to give me a "downgrade" because I wouldn't know the difference anyway. Ze moeten er niet van uitgaan!
They switched back to English and happily told me that an "Executive Room" had now been located. I should tell you that I have stayed here many times and while I never see the same staff, I am very familiar with the various rooms that are offered. The typical hotel room in Amsterdam is small, so I was prepared for that, what I was not prepared for was a room the size of a walk-in closet. I was shocked that they would expect me to accept this room at $250.00 per night, even in Amsterdam. I returned to the front desk and asked if they had "downgraded" me because I did not want to wait. To her credit, the same clerk that checked me in, was honest and said yes. I told her that I felt this was not acceptable and she asked the manager to speak with me. Unfortunately the Manager couldn't have cared less that I was unhappy. He handed the key back to me and said, with more than a little arrogance, "sorry, nothing else is available", then turned and walked away. I told the clerk that I planned to complain directly to Hilton and she offered no reply. I returned to my "closet" and called Hilton. When they answered the 1-800 number I told them that I would like to file a complaint and was told that I needed to speak to the "Guest Assistance" desk. My call was transferred, but unfortunately, never answered. After trying two more times, only to sit on hold for long enough to believe that there must be lot's of complaints, if the complaint department is that busy. I gave up. The last time I was at this hotel, 7-8 hotel employees gathered outside the front door every evening smoking and using foul language. That should have been my first clue that this facility was poorly managed. Since Hilton was sold to an investment group the service levels have continued to decline. There seems to be very little appreciation for customer loyalty, coupled with a belief that the Hilton Brand is bigger than these issues.
For me, Hilton has always been a symbol of business level excellence and I am sad to see that being allowed to diminish so readily. Conrad must be very annoyed wherever he is! There are a number of Hilton's that I still really like and I will probably continue to stay with them, but this experience will result in a big step down my preference ladder. They've occupied my top spot for a long time but I think that it's time I give their competitors a try.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
I'm terribly sorry to read you did not like our rooms and the service. Our rooms are designed to offer maximal facilities in a relaive affordable space considering the location of the hotel. For guest requiring more space we offer up to 50 spacious suites with separate living room and bathroom with separate bathtub and shower. I would be very grateful if you could share this to me in a personal email for further follow up.
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We chose this hotel because of it's price, location and reviews. All were true! The hotel is 5 minutes from the train station, has a nice view on the city side, the rooms, service and staff were amazing!

We did decide to take the Executive Twin Rooms to avoid the train track side and to have the nice breakfast and happy hour. We were very pleased with all of these.

EVERYONE from the front desk, to the VIP lounge, bar and others we met in the halls were Wonderful!

I would highly recommend this hotel when staying in Amsterdam.

Room Tip: pay for the executive rooms on to have a nice view and breakfast, it is worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Great to here you loved your stay in the hotel. Thank you so much for the nice review. Our staff will really appreciate the compliments. Thank you for recommending our hotel. Looking forward to welcome you in the future.