“New, Modern, and Clean” 5 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oosterdoksstraat 4 | 1011 DK, 1011 DK Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Offer
Book early, up to 20% off
Ranked #53 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hong Kong
“New, Modern, and Clean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

We just had a wonderful stay at this brand new hotel for 3 nights. We were a big family so we had a few rooms booked at this hotel. When we arrived, we didn't have much of a first impression, other than the fact that there were still some construction around the area, and that the main entrance was at the back where we had to pass some construction looking area, but I'm sure that'll get cleaned up soon.

When we proceeded to check-in, it was very crowded. I think there was a tour checking in or checking out right before us, so that was quite a wait. The interior lobby is very modern, not the classic stuff that you'll see in Paris, but very clean and new, which is what we were looking for.

The hallway of the rooms or the lift didn't scream luxury, they were in fact very basic. The rooms also had that same theme but there were a few things we really loved about the hotel rooms. First of all, the iMac desktop each room had. The system was nice, you could watch TV, surf the internet, play music, etc from the desktop, it was very easy to use and a really nice touch. The free wi-fi in every room was also a huge plus. I think hotels that charge for internet are very outdated, so this should set a good precedent.

Service in general was top notch. They had receptionists of various nationalities all speaking very good english and were very helpful, even though the hotel was often crowded with people checking in or out.

The breakfast was excellent. They didn't have huge varieties, but everything they had was good quality and very generous. It was buffet style, and for drinks you could have coffee, tea, hot chocolate, or any of the fresh juices on tap. If you book this hotel, you should get the breakfast included, it really makes your day, and starts it off well.

The bathroom was very minimalist, but most importantly, was spotless and clean. In fact, you couldn't tell that its ever been used, which was perfect. They had pump liquid soap for shower which was a nice touch. It doesn't have a bathtub and was compact, however it was sufficient.

Location was also good, 5 minute walk to Central Station which is the hub of Amsterdam. And calling taxis was easy and convenient. Trams and buses are also nearby, giving you many options for transportation.

The Sky Lounge was decent but didn't really eat or chill there so can't really comment.

If I had any complaints, it'd be the following : The gym was alright, didn't have any windows, so running on the treadmills, you'd be facing a concrete wall. And it isn't as nice as those 5 star hotel gyms in Asia, but then again, Mint isn't a 5 star typical hotel, its more of the high-tech boutique hotel of modern feel. Secondly, I don't think there was a pool, so that was that.

Overall, loved this hotel, really made the Amsterdam visit very pleasant. I had walked past a few other hotels nearby with good locations, they were all very dated. This was really the best option if you're looking for a clean and new hotel, one where you'd happily step on the carpet or the bathroom barefeet without that instinctive desire to curl your toes to avoid grimes.

Definitely recommend this to any Amsterdam visitors.

P.S. The Guest Services were also awesome, they had tickets for any shows or daily excursions, and they handled restaurant reservations very efficiently. I don't know if Dutch efficiency is the reason, but this Hotel was definitely very timely and efficient in their service.

Room Tip: Request for high floor facing city to avoid train noises. Avoid 10th floor, footstep noises from 11t...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,031)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
VC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

On arrival, stands out the very impersonal style of the lobby, with a colder ambiance than an airport. Staff is dressed in black with (few) green stripes that give the impression they are soldiers of Mint´s army, but the reception´s service is very good in very well spoken english, guessing what we wanted without needing to ask, like taking care of luggage after checking out till departure time.
All common spaces were clean but some specific zones looked like they were in repair works: air ducts visible, puddles on the tile floor near big windows, elevators hall being painted in the afternoon, but nothing that interfered with the functionality.
First impression of the room was very good: spotless and with sober decoration. WiFi works very well and the hotel's Mac with radio and TV broadcast with remote control is useful and looks nice with the decor. Our room overlooks railway lines, but it´s almost at the same level of the trains (3rd floor) and I expected noise. Really it was no outside noise at all, because the thick glass walls and the unique small window that could be opened and closed closed the external sounds, like trains or music in the courtyard, were muted and we could "enjoy" the continuous murmur of a ventilation or any other system different than the AC in our room, because with the AC switched off the sound continued without interruption.
Air conditioning system should be malfunctioning because always produced a light cold breeze even in the hottest position. Fortunately the air openings aren´t over the bed and the room was comfortable with the AC off, so it didn´t became a problem. The morning we checked out the AC panel is blinking, probably informing that is really damaged.
The bed mattress is too smooth for my taste, giving the feeling of sinking. I prefer stiffer ones. The pillows are very good. I need to be well covered while sleeping otherwise I get cold very easily. Nevertheless the bed cover was very very hot, making me sweat with t-shirt and shorts pajamas. Should be excelent for winter but not for summer nights, dispite the rain and the 14ºC temperatures in the outside.
Right in front of the glass walls of the bedroom there is a courtyard with ambient music being played, accessible from the third and fourth floor. Could be used to breath fresh air or to smoke. It´s all uncovered so it´s a useful place if it isn´t raining. The ambient music should be at a lower volume, because it´s too imposing in the bedrooms near if the window is open.
Bathroom has a good shower. The lavatory´s flat design difficult residues draining
The room is equipped with hair drier, iron and ironing board, refrigerator, water boiling pot ,safe box and only one robe (strange for a double room).
We chose this hotel essentially because it´s near to Centraal Station (5 mins walk) and we don´t regret. Arriving to a unknown city and getting so easily to the hotel without additional transportation or doubts about where to head is fantastic.
Altogether, we´ve no doubt recommending this hotel for a visit to Amsterdam (value for money, convenient location, helpful staff). It´s not an hotel to create romantic moods but for that there´s the streets and channels of A´dam´s city!

Room Tip: If you can, choose south oriented rooms ´cause they have view to the city.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
MintAmsterdam, Sales & Marketing at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, September 9, 2011
Dear Mr. Martins,

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to share you experiences on Tripadvisor.

I am very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay so much with us and everything the hotel has to offer with regards to cleanliness, comfort, location and staff. I will pass on your kind words to the entire team!

Thank you again for your kind words and for recommending our hotel for a visit to Amsterdam. We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again at Mint Hotel Amsterdam.

Kind regards,
Daphne Diender
Sales & Marketing
Mint Hotel Amsterdam
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

I absolutely loved staying at this hotel. What a treat! When I arrived earlier than the posted check in time, I was warmly greeted, and luckily, given a room at seven in the morning, when clearly the time for check in is at 3. The space itself is quite mammoth, and frankly, in the best spot. It took me no time to travel from the airport to Central Station. And, just less than a five mile walk, you are there, at the hotel.

I loved the location and felt quite safe. The modern decor is sleek and minimal. And for European standards, the rooms are sparse, especially the bathrooms. My first night was good. But, the view was less than desirable. So, I asked to be transferred to another room. When I returned after sightseeing the following afternoon, my luggage was already moved to the ninth floor with sweeping views of the city in a new, larger room.

Each night whether I had a question about on restaurants, museums, are day trips, the front desk and guest services staff were extremely helpful and professional, allowing me to feel comfortable. I really felt happy that I was in a hotel where everyone smiled and cared and went out of their way to assist me.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone considering staying in Amsterdam. Aside from the fact that this particular space is only four months into operation, it functions well and is separate enough from the touristy part of town which can get wearing after a while. When I visit Amsterdam again, this is the only place I will stay. I hope to be lucky enough to encounter the same staff that aided me in my travels.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences with us on tripadvisor

I am very happy to read that you loved your stay so much and it was such a treat for you! I am glad you have been able to enjoy everything thehotel has to offer in terms of location, comfort and most important our service minded staff. I have naturally passed on your kind words to the entire team and they were very happy they have been able to contribute to your pleasant stay.

On behalf of the Mint Team thank you very much again for your kind words and for recommending us. We truly hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again at Mint Hotel Amsterdam in the near future.

Kind regards,
Daphne Diender
Sales & Marketing
Mint Hotel Amsterdam
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 5 day visit to Amsterdam. The location is very good, being right next to Central Station, but can be a little far from some of the tourist spots such as the Museums, Leidseplein and Jordaan. The hotel itself is very well presented, and staff very polite. However, on one day we left the room at around 10am and returned at 4.30pm to find that the room had not yet been cleaned (even though we had left the 'clean me' tag on the outside of the door). We had to ask at reception 3 times for the room to be cleaned, and over and hour and a half later it eventually was. The towels that we were promised immediately upon complaining turned up over 2 hours later. At no point were we offered anything to appease us, staff simply apologised and were ineffectual, although polite. This was disappointing, as apart from this, the stay was extremely pleasant.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

3 day trip to Amsterdam the mint hotel is lovely and very central pleasant stay

• Stayed August 2011
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

Had great stay for 5 nights with 10month old son. Really enjoyed stay in this new and modern hotel. Loved the iMac and it was a new experience for us. Hotel staff was really friendly and very helpful.
Breakfast was ok but only cold items. If you want anything hot and warm ( eggs, sausages etc) you have to order separate and I found them bit expensive and not worth (just a scramble eggs will cost you 8.50€). Otherwise cafe staff gave great service and took care very well.
Even the hotel is located just next to the main train station, inside the hotel it is quite and no disturbances.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

Stayed at the Mint Hotel in Amsterdam for 3 nights in August 2011. The hotel is very close to the main station which is great, easy walking distance to all of the main areas of Amsterdam but the down side is the railway at the back of the hotel. We requested when booking a room at the front of the hotel as advised by other reviewers but were told this would not be guaranteed unless we paid extra which I didn't think acceptable so we risked it and unfortunately we ended up with a room on the back which meant the noise of the railway!
Apart from the railway noise which could keep a light sleeper awake or disturb their sleep, luckily I always pack ear plugs when staying in hotels, everything about the hotel was very nice and I would definitely recommend to anyone wishing to travel to Amsterdam. Only flaw was the housekeeping of the bedrooms. We left our room at 11am on the first day and got back at 5pm to find out room still hadn't been cleaned and towels not been replaced etc. The cleaner knocked on our door at half past 5 to clean the room which we turned away because we were relaxing before going out for the evening and only got her to replace the towels. The next day we got back at 6pm and the room had been cleaned and beds made etc but small things like replacing the used dirty glasses with new clean glasses and leaving extra toilet roll hadn't been done.
We ordered room service on the first night which was excellent food but portion on the small side, breakfast was excellent, best I've ever had continental style and we had lunch on the day we left in the Lobby Bar which was very good but again on the small side.
All in all I would recommend but not so much if you are a light sleeper! Bed comfy, just a little too soft for me though.

Room Tip: Front of hotel so you can't hear the trains