“Excellent locale. 3 coffeeshops within 1 minute's walk” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NH Amsterdam City Centre

You added NH Amsterdam City Centre to your Saves list
NH Amsterdam City Centre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Spuistraat, 288-292 | City Center, 1012VX Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly NH City Centre Amsterdam) (Binnenstad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
€15 for your next stay
Ranked #155 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
UK
“Excellent locale. 3 coffeeshops within 1 minute's walk”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2005

The hotel itself and the room we had was clean and looked nice & simple. Nothing fancy, but better than Best Western. The room was small even though we were assured it was a Superior Room with a double bed. Definitely would not wanna stay for more than 5 days because of the small size of the room, but it sufficed for 4. In fact, it more than sufficed because there were no bedbugs or leaky ceilings or other mishaps!

The bathroom only had a shower. The floor leading to the shower and the showerfloor itself were slippery. They did not have any perma-grit for traction. Other than that, the bathroom was clean and modern. The toilet was a source of endless fascination...

The room was clean & fresh every day even though it was a smoking room.

Our room faced the canal at the rear of the building. Quite a pretty view but the noise from the obnoxious-sounding scooters at all hours of the day and night can take some getting used to. You don't really wanna shut the windows...but sometimes you have to just to get a night's rest (or a late afternoon nap).

The ice is free. There are softdrinks in machines on the 2nd & 4th floors. They each cost 2 euros. That's about what they cost throughout central Amsterdam.

The candy machines: Put your coins in first, then make your selection. The candy machine on the 2nd floor stole about 1.60 euros. Use the 4th floor.

About one minute away, across the street and down the 1st alley to the right of the Italian Ristorante is Kadinsky Coffeeshop. Good prices and selection. We sat at the front window and got mellow.

The other 2 coffeeshops within a minute's walk are to the right as you exit the front of the hotel. You walk past the cafe tables and make a right down the 1st (or 2nd) alley and you'll find Tweede Kamer, and then a few steps away, on the corner, is Dutch Flowers.

If you just start walking in any direction from the hotel you're bound to come across a coffeeshop.

Behave yourself, be discrete, use your good manners, and smoke much less than you normally would, and you'll have a good time.

This is supposed to be a review of the hotel...
Bottom line: It was clean and safe. The front desk is understaffed but the available staff are courteous. We would go there again---unless we could find a bigger room somewhere else for the same price.

• Stayed July 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Turkish first
Leamington Spa, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2005

My sister and I stayed at the NH City Centre for 2 nights in July 2005.
If you're travelling from the Schipol airport to this hotel, be sure to take the Connexions shuttle bus service from outside the airport arrivals - 17.50euros for a return ticket and they drop you right outside the door to the hotel! You can book your return pick-up time at the Hotel reception.

We arrived at the hotel at 11am so didn't expect a room to be ready, they did hold our luggage for us until 3pm though.
Apparently all the hotel rooms differ in size so I can't directly compare our room, it was a fair size for the two of us for two nights, but I wouldn't want to stay for much longer in such a small room. However it was spotlessly clean, the beds were very comfy, nice modern decor, the shower was powerful and noise from other guests wasn't a major problem.

The best feature of the hotel is the location - 10 mins from Dam Square and the Royal Palace, 3 mins from Flower Market, 10 mins from Leidseplein, 10 mins from Anne Frank's house (walking distances) - we didn't get a bus or tram anywhere because we were so central to everything.

They definately need more reception staff at this hotel as whenever we needed to visit reception we had to wait 5/10 mins (even just to re-programme our room key as it wouldn't let us in).

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a clean, comfortable and affordable base to explore gorgeous Amsterdam!
I will be back one day!

Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2005

The location was good for shopping and close to Madame Tussaud's. The rooms were clean and spacious. The first floor corner room my parents had was two levels with a king size bed. Our room was next door with twin beds, a tall ceiling and a small street level window. It would have been nice to have a small fridge in the room. Though they seemed to be a bit under staffed at the front desk they were friendly and courteous. The breakfast buffet was excellent, although pricey, but this typical. There are two wonderful restaurants just across the street.

• Stayed April 2005
New York, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2005

I made a reservation on Travelocity and went to check in at the NH Amsterdam City Centre. They insisited I did not have a reservation. I told them I did. They said they could not check because the reservation desk was closed on the weekend and they were fully booked. I said that was okay I could go to an internet cafe and print out my confirmation. Finally, they gave me a room.

I asked for a 7:15 wake up call. They called at 6:00. I noticed that the bed was crawling with bed bugs. I caught four and put them in a glass. The maintence guy came up to check and my bed was covered in blood where they bit me and I squashed them--if you don't know, bed bugs live off blood which they take from humans during the night.

I took the bugs to the front desk and they still wanted me to pay the full rate. Horrible service. The highlight was when I called the front desk to complain about the bugs and the early wake up call and they said not to worry, they'd call me back at 7:15 and I could go back to bed...

• Stayed June 2005
Birmingham, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2005

We have just returned from a two night break in Amsterdam. We booked the NH Ciry Centre hotel using bookings.nl and got a pretty good deal. The reception area was big and clean as were all of the other public areas.
We arrived before the normal check in time but we were allowed to complete registration and store our bags in a locked room until 3:00 pm.
The staff were very friendly and helpful - we had a problem with the noisy stairs door which was next to our room on the first night but we were quickly moved without any fuss at all.
We never ate in the hotel but they offer a three couse meal for 19.95 euros which I thought was pretty good value.
The rooms are not huge but the two we had were very tastefully decorated with modern colours and furniture. Security is good too as you cannot enter the lift or stairs area without a room key.
Excellent central location only a few minutes walk from Dam Square and The Leidseplein.
All in all lovely hotel with a good location. Would stay again without a doubt.

• Stayed June 2005
Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2005

I just returned from my trip to Amsterdam. The NH City Centre Hotel was very nice. Both my friend and I stayed on the 5th floor. These rooms had been recently renovated.

The only problems I had with the hotel was that there were no washclothes in the bathrooms and the rooms did not have air conditioning. From what I understand, not having air conditioning is pretty common through out Europe. This in itself would not have been bad, but it got rather warm for this type of year.

The only other complaint is the maid staff was a little noisy. But considering my friend and I were out partying until 3am and not getting up until 11am or so, this is not really all that bad. We needed to get up anyway.

I could not have asked for a better location. From the hotel, it was either a few minute walk or up to about 20 minute walk to just about anything we wanted to see and do. We could have used the tram system, but I really did not understand the Strippenkart and the different zones. Great shopping within 5 minutes on Kalverstraat. There is a great Indonesian restaurant right down the street.

We ate dinner in the hotel one night and we both really liked our meal. The price, of our meal, was very comparable to eating in other restaurants. We never got up early enough to try the breakfast. The price of the breakfast had been reduced to 13,50 Euros.

Overall, the price of the hotel was great given the location. I would definitely consider staying here again, but I would bring my own washcloth and would try to go when I knew it would be rather cool.

• Stayed May 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2005

We stayed for 10 days and enjoyed the hotel. It was clean, the room was a good size, the service was good. We liked being able to safely open the window of our third floor room for fresh air. The location is great in that it is easy to walk to most tourist places easily. The tram stop is just down the road - less than 5 minutes walk. There are numerous good restaurants handy.

• Stayed March 2005

Been to NH Amsterdam City Centre? Share your experiences!