Well, needless to say, I had a great time in amsterdam, but unlike most reviewers I'll tell you about the hotel - not my weekend because thats what I always want to know when searching for hotels. I find it very difficult choosing hotels and spend hours looking for the right one wherever I visit in the world (and I've been to over 40 countries)
I believe that the following review will tell you exactly what to expect at the hotel and it is fair
1. Central Location:
The location couldn't be better. All the sights are nearby, coffeeshops, wax museum, anne frank house, bars and restaurants etc.
2. Rooms are clean with an average tiled bathroom and a wooden floor in the bedroom area which is spacious. In no way is it the most stylish room that you've ever seen, but its comfortable.
3. Smoking rooms ARE available (it took me ages to find this out about hotels in amsterdam). Most hotels do not have any smoking rooms and are entirely smoke-free
4. TV channels are good. BBC1 and BBC2 are available at no extra cost. Pay TV is also available.
5. Reception and staff are very friendly and very helpful. Customer service is great in amsterdam anyway, spoken english is perfect and the dutch are very friendly everywhere.
6. Suitcases and bags can be left at reception for no extra cost
7. Check in is at 3pm however we found that after 12 noon, you can return to the reception desk and ask if the room is ready. You will be checked-in promptly.
8. Check out time on a sunday only is 5pm! Pretty good if your trip ends on a sunday and you have a late flight to catch
9. There is a cafe (didn't use it though ... burgers and chips kinda food)
1. The breakfast is expensive - its 17 euro each and is not included in the room price unless specifically asked for and I found that the breakfast is actually 22 euro each if booked as part of the room price. Eat out instead - O'Reillys Irish bar nearby does a cracking hot breakfast for 10 euro or one of the many cafe's also nearby sell coffee for 2 euro and a pastry for the same.
2. Internet charges are amazingly expensive!!
Yeah there is WIFI but you have to pay for it. 17 euro for 24 hours or 10 euro for an hour. Download speed is poor anyway 251 kbps and upload speed is 250 kbps so watching your favorite youtube videos or a streamed movie (to beat the pay tv) is out of the question. Again, go to o'reillys bar which is nearby the hotel, WIFI is free. Ask the staff for the username and password. You will get 1 hour free, then buy another drink and get another free hour if you like.
3. The bathroom shower is nice, but it is over the bath tub with a small shower screen. Prepare to mop up the water from the floor after having a shower with a nominated towel of your choice. The water gets everywhere.
4. The minbar has two bottles of water - still and sparkling at 2.50 euro each. Buy stuff in the supermarket and use the mini bar fridge iinstead.
5. There is tea/coffee making in the room, but not much selection.
6. There is no air conditioning. In november why would you need it? Well it would be good to have it as a heater. The room has central heating only and is controlled by the hotel. So at night it can be pretty cold.
7. And finally my number one pet hate about hotels in europe - Two single beds pushed together to make a double! In some hotels the base of the bed is a double with two single matresses. Not here - its actually two singles pushed together and if there is any action (say no more) on the bed, a chasm will appear when the two beds move apart - quiet funny in the situation, but very uncomfortable to sleep over if you and your loved one like to cuddle at night. You both end up on one single because who's going to sleep over the middle bit :(
Hope this helps....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The NH City Centre Amsterdam Centre offers guests a gateway to the historic and beautiful Amsterdam. Located in the heart of the city and overlooking the Singel Canal, the hotel is only a very brief walk to the famous floating flower market, the powerfully moving Anne Frank House, and the bustling shops of Dam Square. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, NHHotels, EasyToBook, Odigeo, Otel, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your NH City Centre Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nh Amsterdam City Centre Hotel Amsterdam
- Nh Hotels Amsterdam
- Nh Hotel Amsterdam