“Same category rooms vary in size and quality” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NH Amsterdam City Centre

You added NH Amsterdam City Centre to your Saves list
NH Amsterdam City Centre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Spuistraat, 288-292 | City Center, 1012VX Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly NH City Centre Amsterdam) (Binnenstad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
€15 for your next stay
Ranked #152 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Moscow, Russia
“Same category rooms vary in size and quality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

On the positive, the hotel is very conveniently located. The notorious "red lights" are within 10 min walk, but more important still it's just as close to restaurants, the 9 shopping streets and department stores and a tram stop - should you need to go some place too far too walk.
On the negative is rooms are hit and miss. We were travelling as a large group of colleagues and getting 6 rooms in the same category and some got nice rooms - reasonable size and plenty of light, others a shoebox of a room with a tiny window under the ceiling. My wife and I originally ended up in the latter category so I had to go down to reception and talk to them. They were very accommodating though and gave us a much nicer room with a view of the channel - thank you very much. But I guess you don't get to luck out like that every time...
Breakfast is good, if a bit repetitive, and there's a queue to get coffee - they should really think about putting in another machine there. Coffee's good though :)

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the channel
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Turkish first
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

As others have stated this was a hugely disappointing room. Really, disappointing 452 was wedge shaped. Nothing like the pictures, tiny window and vastly overpriced. I can't begin to imagine what it would be like on a hot day. Other rooms looked nice maybe they just pick on jet lagged North Americans for the crap rooms? Location is good if you are on vacation do not consider if on business - too loud. Whether for business or pleasure do not select the cheaper rooms unless you get a sub 79 Euro (June 2014) rate.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
RickvanSchijndel, Manager at NH Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the time and effort taken to react on your stay in NH City Centre.

I would like to appologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay in our hotel and that you were not happy with the room we assigned for your. I would like to point out that we do not assign certain rooms to certain guest. Everybody is treated the same way, no matter origin, gender or lenght of stay.

I hope to meet you again in Amsterdam!

kind regards,

London, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

I Was there for 9 nights June 2 to 11.....the room is beyond small...and so stuffy, hot and musty smelling that I had to wash my clothes twice when I returned home.
Housekeeping left a lot to be desired.....barely cleaned bathroom every day...I ended up cleaning the counters and sink myself......... our view was of the garbage they had piles up on the partial roof.....sucked!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
copdam, General Manager at NH Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Lynn H,

I am very greatfull that you took the time to react on your stay at NH City Centre Amsterdam.

I regret that we could not fulfill your expectations and that you left unsatisfied, since guest experience is of our major interest.

As a follow up on your comments I have discussed this matter with our Housekeeping departement in order to prevent these incidents in the future.

Feel free to contact me in person if I can assist you in any kind.

regards,
Crieff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Stayed for one night on a hot and humid day in Amsterdam.

Room was very small on the corner of the second floor overlooking Spuistraat. There was no air conditioning and only the top third of the single window opened. However, the noise from the street below throughout the night made it impossible to sleep.

Shower was up a step in the bathroom, which was difficult to manoeuvre without slipping.

Room looked tired and scruffy as did the hotel in general.

Only thing going for the hotel was its central location, otherwise avoid.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel overlooking the canal, but you will be charged extra.
Dear cuillin2010,

thank you for your review of our hotel following your stay in NH City Centre in Amsterdam.

Obviously I am not happy to read your expereince as it was not a positive one. However, I am happy to be able to tell you that we are renovating approximately 50 rooms in our hotel. After the renovation I am sure the rooms will have a whole new and fresh look and feel again.

I hope meeting you again in Amsterdam!

Kind regards,

Macclesfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Just come back from a 2 night stay here with my boyfriend. June 9th-June 11th. I found the hotel was in a good location, close to a little square with a number of bars and restaurants. The hotel was nice, i wouldn't say anything particularly special. The room we stayed in was very small and extremely hot in the fabulous weather we had. The heat of the room made it almost unbearable to sleep in as we did not have air conditioning.

I would recommend staying here in terms of location and close proximity to bars and restaurants.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Katie,

Thank you for positing a comment about your stay in our hotel. I like the fact that you had a good time in Amsterdam and appreciated the location of our hotel.

I hope to see you again in Amsterdam and if I can help you with any further matters, please contact me directly.

Kind regards

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

We have spend there 5 nights. Location of the hotel is great, and all mayor tourist locations are not far away. For a 4 star hotel I expected a little bigger rooms. Problematic was also no conditioning in bathroom.

I was rather surprised to see employees regularly sitting on steps an smoking on second entrance to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
MrHotel2315
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Wanted to have a central location hotel and found this to be just that. Did not expect a city centre to have a large room and that met our expectation. Very easy to get into town and was a simple taxi from the train station in. Modern designed room that I enjoyed!

Staff at the front desk were extremely helpful. All around enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed May 2014

Been to NH Amsterdam City Centre? Share your experiences!