“Very Good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NH Amsterdam City Centre

Save Saved
You added NH Amsterdam City Centre to your Saves list
NH Amsterdam City Centre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Spuistraat, 288-292 | City Center, 1012VX Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly NH City Centre Amsterdam) (Binnenstad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
€15 for your next stay
Ranked #151 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1,015 reviews 1,015 reviews
“Very Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We use NH Hotels and Holiday Inn in equal measure the consistency and cleanliness is second to none.The staff in this city centre version are very helpful and a pleasure. THis is a great location right on the river.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Turkish first
Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Very clean, quiet and central.
Friendly staff, beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is in a great location, within walking distance of most of the main sights of Amsterdam. The rooms are OK, generic standard decor etc but for the price paid I would not have expected any more. The plus side for this booking was that they offered triple room accommodation.

• Stayed July 2012
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

the only advantage was its location. Otherwise no courtesy from their employees. The room makers knock on the door at 9:00 am, like you are in the military service. On of the trainees informed us badly for going to Zaanse Schans. As she was from Zaan dam she advised us to go to Zaan dam then take the bus to Zaanse Schans for windmills. We realized on place that bus is not a good option and we had to take another intercity which costed us another 10euros. More frustrating thing was their city tax. Their city and I have to pay; why don't they include in their price?

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Leuven, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I stayed for the first time in this hotel while on another business trip to Amsterdam.
The hotel is located in the center of the city close to the Palace on the Dam.
I checked in around 18:30 and had to wait a while at the reception because it was quite busy.
The receptionist that checked me in was friendly and answered all of my questions.
When I noticed that my breakfast was not included in my stay (although it ought to have been), a senior receptionist stepped in and corrected the mistake with a smile.
I had sent the hotel an email over the weekend asking them to put me up in a quiet room and when the receptionist gave me the key to my room, she told me that they had duly noted my request and that they put me in a quiet part of the hotel (which was very nice to hear).
Once I had received my key, I went up to my room.
Before getting there I had to walk through long corridors and what I noticed immediately is how dated the hotel looks.
Carpets have stains on them and the corridors sure could do with some renovating.
I got to my room and was happily surprised by how big it was.
I already stayed in several hotels in Amsterdam and this was a really big room.
The room itself was nothing special - it also looked as if it could do with a make over but nonetheless it was clean, spacey, airy and it smelled wonderful.
I had two beds pushed together, a small desk and a big closet.
The bathroom was fairly big too - it had a nice sink, loo and a rather big shower cabin (with no door however).
There was some complementary shampoo, soap and shower gel on the sink and lots of towels (which I like).
The bed was comfy and I had a good night sleep.
In the morning I had breakfast in the hotel's breakfast area.
Breakfast was self service and consisted of an elaborate buffet : one could choose between lots of danish, bread, cereals, fruit, eggs & sausages, several juices and styles of coffee, meats & cheeses, preserves/jams, yogurt, etc...
It was all fresh and quite tasty and I liked it a lot.
After breakfast I checked out and this went quite fast.
Since I will be staying here again next week, I asked for the same room than the one I stayed in and the receptionist handled my request promptly and with a smile.
Although this hotel is not really a 4 star hotel (I would rate it a good 3 stars), I was pleasantly surprised by the service & personnel, the big room and the nice breakfast.
I have stayed in much better hotels than this but also in much worse.
If you're looking for a good, clean hotel with decent service located in the center of Amsterdam, than you can't go wrong with this one.
A renovation would be highly appreciated and I hope this will be up and coming in the next months or year.
Looking forward to staying here again in a couple of days.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Defiance, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

A good value in the city centre, stayed when the weather was cold and wet in the begining of June, good access to many areas, an otherwise average european class hotel

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

I am a female in my mid 20's-- I got attacked by a group of young men outside the hotel (not very late around 10pm). I got punched in the face and broke my jaw in two places. I was lying outside of the hotel surrounded by the men-- no one stopped to help and I was bleeding like crazy! Finally two nurses stopped to help me and called the ambulance. The guys slowly walked away- didn't even run. No one noticed in hotel even thought it was RIGHT OUTSIDE, not more than 15 steps away from the entrance!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to NH Amsterdam City Centre? Share your experiences!