“Magnificient building....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Het Scheepvaartmuseum National Maritime Museum

Het Scheepvaartmuseum National Maritime Museum
Kattenburgerplein 1, 1018 KK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Netherlands Maritime Museum)
31 20 52 32 222
Website
Improve this listing
Book Now

Ranked #30 of 303 Attractions in Amsterdam
Type: Specialty Museums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Het Scheepvaartmuseum, the National Maritime Museum, tells inspiring stories of how the sea is in our genes. Come and enjoy the stimulating, interactive exhibitions and the stunning 17th century building.
Montreal, Canada
37 attraction reviews
“Magnificient building....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

.... with a very large interior court in the center of several exhibits on various subjects linked to the sea: ships, ship decorations, globes, sextants, clocks, paintings, cacao trade, Amsterdam port, etc. Do not miss the replica of VOC ship the Amsterdam which you can visit and imagine you are a conqueror of the sea!

Visited January 2014

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
High Wycombe, England, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“A-ha mateys!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We went to the museum principally to get on board The Amsterdam ship, which was great fun! It is a replica rather than the original but no less interesting for that - lots of good information posted around the place. We went round the rest of the museum and can really recommend the section with all of the prow decorations, nautical instruments and photos - absolutely fascinating and really well presented with English and other languages. This was one of our favourite visits in Amsterdam.

Visited January 2014
Valparaiso, Indiana, USA
5 attraction reviews
“Fascinating and beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Het Scheepvaartmuseum is one of the best museums I've ever visited. The artifacts are beautifully displayed. I especially enjoyed seeing antique maritime instruments up close and learning how they were used. The display about the slave trade was very poignant. There was so much to see, I could have spent an entire day in this museum. Exhibit signage is in both Dutch and English.

The replica of the ship was interesting and kid friendly. If there hadn't been so many children running around, I'd have stayed on the ship longer, but I did find it enjoyable for a while, despite the chaos.

There's a locker room in the basement of the building, so you don't need to carry your coat, handbag or packages throughout the museum. The entire building is handicap accessible.

The restaurant and gift shop are both excellent and reasonably priced. I did more shopping there than I did in the stores in the city! This museum was one of the highlights of my trip to Amsterdam, and I'd love to see it again sometime.

Visited October 2013
Pretoria, South Africa
“Interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

I enjoyed seeing the history of VOC. Perhaps there could have been more about the new colonies that was established. Being a South African I am interested in the dutch part of our heritage.

The way the people of Netherland make their museums so interactive for children is very good. It keep them interested in their history.

Blackpool
3 attraction reviews
“Ship shape museum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

This was a must see visit for our 1st trip to Amsterdam as my wife works at a nautical college! We were not disappointed overall but I would advise that you ignore the 'interactive' tour - pretty poor and pointless! The rest of the museum was very interesting with all exhibits displaying English language labelling which is always a plus as I can't read Dutch! The replica wooden galleon and the large interactive map of the Port of Amsterdam was the highlight for us but there was plenty of other interesting displays to suit all ages.

Visited December 2013