“Classy and Chic” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
New York City, New York
“Classy and Chic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

We were wow'd upon entering the hotel. The building is gorgeous and the chic black window frames on old stone and modern white walls gave the Dylan and very sleek and refined image. Downside is that the rooms are a bit small, the wash basin had some black mold stains, the floor in the bathroom was a bit soiled and the toilet flush button is very hard to push. The gym was also very small with 3 machines but they were well maintained and very new. But all this is easily made up for by the personal level of service that can't be matched by bigger hotel chains. The concierge is very professional and seasoned. If you are renting bikes from them...beware if you are shorter than 5'4". Their bikes are very tall.
The Michelin star restaurant was good and the food was precise...appetizers were good but mains only ok. All in all, We loved the Dylan and would go back again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

We stayed here for three nights and I think the hotel is absolutely top drawer. We were in a luxury double (Kimono) room which was really nicely done, very trendy but still livable. Really comfortable bed and all of the amenities were excellent. The location too is great, on the Kaisergracht which is in the middle of it all.

The only downsides of the room were a lack of wardrobe space and an odd set up in the bathroom were you needed to be under 5'5" or over 6'2'' cm to properly see in the mirror. Maybe they assumed all visitors would be Dutch height. Also the pay tv wasn't working and took longer than expected to fix, but these were small gripes.

The staff are fantastic, really helpful and friendly, the suggestions of the concierge were spot on and we really enjoyed all of the recommendations. The highlight though was the dinner at Vinkeles which has a well deserved Michelin star. Great, great meal and great service. I'm still thinking about the seaweed encrusted tuna. The head chef came around to chat to us too which was really appreciated.

We definitely will be back, when I save up enough again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

We booked the Dylan partly for practicality and partly as it looked on the website like a good place to base ourselves during some important meetings that were going to require a lot of preparation. We were very pleased we did.
Our first room wasn't right for working in but would have been pleasant otherwise. Iit overlooked the room of an enclosed courtyard. So we upgraded (at our cost but that's fair) to a better room on a top floor. High windows, lots of light, overlooking the main courtyard. Perfect for planning, discussing and writing. The bathroom was reached by a spiral staircase, in what would have been an attic in years gone by. All aspects of the room were very well chosen and fresh.
The staff were great, e.g. printing out docs, turning around the pressing of shirts quickly, getting an extra chair for working at the desk.
We never managed to dine in the formal restaurant but very good meals were available from lunchtime onwards, so we could eat well downstairs when we needed a break. Or sit in the open courtyard over a drink.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

My husband and I were in Amsterdam in May. The downside was that we were there 17 days after the "trash strike". We stayed at The Dylan hotel. It is in a wonderful location, right on the 3rd canal. When we first checked in, the staff was professional and courteous, but not overly welcoming. To get to our suite we had to walk through and behind the reception area. The room was all white, floors, walls, bedding, couches, etc. It was stylish, but not very charming or inviting. There were 2 very large windows facing the canal. The living area was on the bottom floor and the bedroom was upsairs. At night there was a lot of noise from the area outside even though we were in a mostly quiet area. The beds were two twins put together, not a king bed. The stairs were so narrow that we couldn't even bring our suitcases up, so the had to be in the main entrance on the floor during our stay. There was a closest in the wall that you could use for one suitcase. The bathroom was a good size with a nice shower and bathtub.
We decided after 2 nights that we could not stay there for another day with the garbage piled up in the city. We advised the front desk at noon on a Tuesday that we would not be staying until Thursday. The would not refund me for the 2 nights that we would not be staying, only 1 of those nights. I understand that there is a 48 hour cancellation policy, but at 750 Euro a night, with garbage all over the city and in the canals, I thought they would be more understanding.
Overall, the cold, all white room wasn't my taste and the staff were professional, but not welcoming. I wouldn't spend that kind of money and not feel right at home again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

I've stayed in a few hotels in Amsterdam in the last year, and the Dylan has been the best by far. Even though the rooms aren't huge, and the hotel's vintage shows in some of the architectural features (the worn spiral stairs down to the ground floor from my room were a bit precarious!) the hotel has the feel of a well-appointed home in which you are a valued and welcome guest.

My room was cosy, overlooking quiet gardens and other houses at the back of the building, and was beautifully quiet the nights I stayed there. The bed was comfortable, bathroom extremely spacious and with a lovely big bath - perfect for trying out the Molton Brown toiletries supplied. There was a sliding window from the bathroom to the bedroom (not sure why).

Breakfast was served in a stylish room downstairs, and was ample and tasty, while the bar area was very swish indeed - all leather sofas and quiet modern elegance. One night I was there, the other guests included a number of international footballers and a touring rock group, but I didn't hear a peep from them after I left the bar area. Food was good in the restaurant, and I had room service one night, which was fine though it took a while for the tray to be taken away (it was still outside the room the morning after).

You also can't fault the location: right in the middle of the Nine Streets, and just moments from good eating, shopping and sightseeing. Alas, I was there for work, so precious little time for any of the above - but next time I return as a tourist, I'd definitely like to stay at the Dylan.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

This place is pricey, but so delicious. It was the perfect spot to relax and unwind on my way home from a long business trip in Europe. The location, of course, is unbeatable. The public spaces are lovely. The staff is warm and gracious. And my room - just a simple double - was absolutely charming and impeccably appointed. It's not a large room, mind you, but the "Kimono" design made me feel like I was in my own personal studio in the city. I love boutique hotels but dislike overly minimalist and sleek design, so this is perfect for me. I stayed at the Pulitzer (on SPG points) last time I was in town and I VASTLY prefer The Dylan. The Pulitzer is also lovely, but it's more traditional/classic - more of a typical hotel - than warm/contemporary. I think The Dylan is a wonderful and unique experience.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

Arriving at the Dylan in freezing weather only last week was a disappointment. No doorman to take our bags inside, no receptionist to greet us and a freezing cold lobby. The manager quickly rectified this and we were brought straight to our room overlooking one of Amsterdam's most beautiful canals. Huge, with a four poster oriental bed and furniture plus a window into the well equipped bathroom. It was just perfect. Our bags arrived a few minutes later and we settled in. The facilities of this hotel are legendary. (Used to be called Blakes) and we were not disappointed. However room service was a lottery. Each time we ordered It took too long, required at least two follow up calls each time we ordered for items that were wrong or forgotten but at least it always tasted good. The bed could have done with a few extra pillows and the plumbing is in dire need of a serious overhaul. Boiling hot water and too little cold water pressure is not enjoyable for taking a shower in I can tell you. Again such a wonderful hotel is let down by a very poor choice of tv stations and an antiquated tube television, no iphone dock or no music facilities of any kind. Come on Dylan, clean up your act or you won't stay a 5 Star for much longer....However all in all I recommend the Dylan. Just get the manager to sort out any problems you have straight away.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Dylan? Share your experiences!