“Not that special, simply OK” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Dylan

Save Saved
You added The Dylan to your Saves list
The Dylan
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Keizersgracht 384, 1016 GB Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #23 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Antwerp, Belgium
“Not that special, simply OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2009

I agree with the previous review and probably wouldn't go back either. There was nothing really wrong with this hotel but it was not that special. It is just a nice boutique hotel, with friendly staff and very efficient concierge. I advise you do not book a room with canal view if you want a quiet night : the rooms do not have double glazed windows and there often is a lot of noice on the street (you can actually hear people talking !).
Small bathrooms. Limited buffet breakfast. Cozy lounge/bar area.

Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2009

I've stayed at a lot of great hotels in Europe (Ritz, Four Seasons) and The Dylan really sticks out in my mind as being incredible. The staff is extremly nice. We had some noise in the courtyard late at night and my husband called the front desk. It was as if someone turned a switch to off and the loud guests were immediately brought inside. The restaurant is incredible. I don't typically like to eat dinner at the hotel I'm staying at but the food is well worth it at The Dylan. Overall, my husband and I really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Lviv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2009

This hotel is amazing. Each room has its own little story to tell. The rooms are big, clean, and have great design. Our room was two levels, bathroom was on the second level and a huge bathtub, super comfortable and fits two people. The service was great, everyone at the hotel was super nice and friendly. They have free tickets to several museums in Amsterdam which is really beneficial to museum lovers (that way you don't have to stand in a huge 2 mile line at the museum). The restaurant is amazing!!! The food is so delicious and every plate is a presentation of something. Really great and super tasty food. Our friend wanted her lamb more well-done and the Chef of the restaurant personally brought her the plate back!!!!! The location of the hotel is perfect, you are close not only to the main attractions of the city but also to the train station. Hotel also offers great bicycles that you can rent for a day. It is a great way to see the city.

This hotel is perfect for your honeymoon but also for a business conference. It has super big conference room which is decorated in a very tasteful yet fashionable way.

This hotel is amazing and I will stay there every time I got to Amsterdam!!!!! Three thumbs up!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

I wanted to write about the Dylan because I am not sure that it's worth the money and the hype. I am a seasoned traveler with pretty discriminating tastes in hotels and restaurants. There was nothing WRONG with the Dylan but there was nothing spectacular about it either. I don't know what the other hotels in Amsterdam are like as this was our first visit there but I was generally underwhelmed with the delux room that we paid for. The room was small and the bathroom was a steep staircase below that made me think twice about going to the bathroom (and I am in great shape). The cleaning staff was sloppy (the nightstand had streaks of dust) and the restaurant for breakfast had the smallest offering of breakfast choices that I had ever seen in a 5 star hotel. I also ordered scrambled eggs which came out like yellow cottage cheese and was inedible. My conclusion is that it's not worth the hype or the price.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

My husband and I visited The Dylan at the end of May for a 3-night stay. I read the previous review from the couple that had a terrible stay at The Dylan and am perplexed by their experience b/c our stay could not have been more perfect.

Our flight arrived very early in the morning and we were pleasantly surprised to learn our room was ready. Two of the staff met us in the courtyard to assist us with our bags and the front desk was fully staffed and completely professional. They knew our names before we even sat down to check-in.

We stayed in a Loft style suite that had windows overlooking the courtyard. It was a charming, Dutch style room with steep stairs leading up to the large sitting area. The ceilings were pitched with exposed beams lending to the charm. The room was bright, clean and airy. The large bathroom had a separate shower and large soaking tub. All of the bathroom amenities were from Molton Brown. There were two televisions in the room and complimentary Wi-Fi. The king size bed was extremely comfortable.

For those people who have never visited Amsterdam, The Dylan is very centrally located unlike some of the larger chains like the Intercontinental Amstel. We used the tram system and walked everywhere and did not need to use taxis…we have been to Amsterdam quite a few times so we are familiar with the transit system. For those who are first time visitors, The Dylan always asks if you need a taxi and are happy to arrange transportation to the airport, dinners, etc.

The breakfast served at the hotel is exceptional especially for a continental buffet spread. We were expecting just a few rolls and some coffee but every morning there was yogurt, granola, cereal, cold cuts, cheese, breads, pastries, fruit, fresh squeezed juice & you can order eggs any way that you like. It is served in a room w/ exposed brick that served as a bakery complete with the original ovens.

While the previous reviewer notes that Amsterdam is not a foodie city, every meal we had was solid. Unfortunately we were there only for 3 nights as we had a list of places to try like Marius. The concierge at the hotel booked every reservation for us and even managed to snag us a last minute booking at De Kas, which was a real treat.

Unfortunately, we were not able to use bicycles available at the hotel (They are not free but available for a small fee) as it rained the day we had reserved them. They are limited so if you really want to use them on your stay, I would suggest emailing the hotel and booking them in advance.

I’m a researcher by nature and have read all the reviews and while our room was light and airy it seems that some of the rooms are darker due to the décor. The common rooms at the hotel (restaurant, bar) are definitely dark due to the manner in which they are decorated (dark wood, etc.) but it is a boutique hotel and really no different than other trendy hotels. The style definitely mirrors our own (clean lines, more modern) but some people may prefer something else. No detail is overlooked at this hotel. We always had fresh apples & water in our room everyday. We had beautiful orchids decorating our room and throughout the hotel. There are blankets on the furniture in the courtyard so you can sit out even when it’s a bit chilly.

And one last mention about the staff at The Dylan. Every correspondence that I had with the hotel prior to my trip and every interaction that we had with staff during our stay was extremely pleasant & professional. Every single time we walked in and out, we were greeted by no less than 4 people (front desk, bartenders, concierge, etc.), which is why my husband and I cannot understand the previous reviewer’s experience at the front desk. For 4 days, we never saw less than 2 people sitting at the front desk.

Is this hotel for everyone? Perhaps not but if you, like us, enjoy not being an anonymous guest in a huge chain hotel then The Dylan is perfect for you. It’s truly an exceptional boutique hotel with the friendliest staff and after being spoiled for 4 days, our only complaint is that we had to leave!

London ,UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2009

Generally the reviews of this hotel are good so we booked for a 3 night weekend break .On check-in we sat at the desk for 10 minutes before the receptionist acknowledged our presence .She was on the phone .Very rude and unwelcoming

We asked the concierge if we could rent a bike .he said no they were all out .When asked if he could help us organise bike rentals, he told us the shop was down the road.i reminded him that in a hotel with this price tag i expected him to organise it for us .I complained to the manager about the attitude of his staff and he was very apologetic and organised complimentary bikes .
The hotel restaurant was over priced ,boring and the food was tastless ,avoid it .Although Amsterdam is not really a foodie city there are much better options ,such as Yamagata's at the Okura hotel which was excellent and a pancake house 200 M from the Anne Frank House called the pancake bakery
BUT the worst thing about the Dylan was it was so dark.Our bedroom had one small window and lots of dark wooden furniture
Overall i would give the Dylan a miss .Try the Grand or Pullitzer or the Amstel which is very expensive .
Some advice -dont miss the Anne Frank House and the Van Gogh museum and pre book the Anne Frank visit on the Internet ,it saves a lot of time lining up .

Flanders, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

Would I go again? No, for 350 euros a night I'd rather book a nice and cosy B&B and have a perfect 7 course meal for the same price. But all attractive B&B's were booked. The entrance was grand, room was beautifully furnished with luxury mini bar, bathroom very modern and stylish. Nice details like bottle of fresh water and nice chocolats, apples and a welcome-letter. Perfect breakfast (they offered included but I had to pay for it. I had it refunded later, after complaint), with fresh exotic fruit, fresh juices, crispy croissants, etc. All personell was very friendly and perfectly educated.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Dylan? Share your experiences!