“Excellent but a few items of note” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Dylan

Save Saved
You added The Dylan to your Saves list
The Dylan
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Keizersgracht 384, 1016 GB Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #24 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
New York City, New York
“Excellent but a few items of note”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

Our stay at the Dylan was wonderful. The room was clean, large and comfortable. There was a very comfortable cot in the room for our son and the room was large enough to accommodate the cot without crowding the room. Breakfast and lunches in the lounge were delicious. The staff was friendly and polite.
As this is a review, there are a few items to note.
1. No full length mirror in the room.
2. Our room faced the canal. The view was terrific but it can be noisy. We did not experience any prolonged or outrageous but we also were not there on a Friday or Saturday night. The windows do not keep out any noise.
3. No one met us when we arrived. It wasn't a problem for us, we were not jet lagged, the weather was good and we are young. It is worth noting as this service is standard for a luxury hotel and along with what wasn't an issue for us but could be for others, the streets and sidewalks of amsterdam are narrow,the cobble stones are not friendly to the wheels on luggage and the entrance for the Dylan is recessed through a courtyard, so partially hidden.
4. Breakfast is done very well but is expensive. Be sure to check your bill. We were overcharged once but we noticed at breakfast and it was taken care of immediately.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

296 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

The Dylan is beautifully situated, right in the fashionable area with the Negen Straatjes (Nine Streets) with lots of small boutiques. Great for shopping.

We have mixed feelings about our stay. Staff is very friendly, breakfast is good and some of the rooms are nice. However we had a Duplex room with a tiny bed. So, if possible avoid this room (number 18).

We had asked for two similar rooms next to each other, since we were travelling with our two daugthers. At the time of booking this was not possible, we had to upgrade to a Duplex room (€500/night), whereas our daughters stayed in a double room on the same floor. Upon arrival we asked once more, whether is was possible to have two adjacent rooms, but those were not available.

When we went to bed, we discovered that the bed in our room was very small. The two person bed was not longer than 1.85m, which is very uncomfortable if you are 1.95 m tall! I was not amused, so we called reception in the middle of the night. At first they said all beds were 2 meters long, which I denied. The manager on duty came up, and admitted the bed was quite short! The offered us another room (€395/night), with a normal bed...next to our daugthers' room!

It was very unpleasant to move rooms in the middle of the night, to finally end up in the room you had originally asked for!

The next morning I asked to pay for the room we slept in, which was €105 cheaper than the room we originally got. The hotel didn't accept this and instead offered us breakfast. I was quite amazed how this was handled. You move guests in the middle of the night to another (cheaper) room, and then make them pay for the other room?!? Disappointing.

However, if you manage to get another room, you will enjoy your stay in this hotel!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have these small beds (1.60x1.85 m), if you are tall, check what kind of bed the r...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

This was my first time in Amsterdam. My friend chose the Dylan Hotel. A recommendation by a friend. I was given the websites address to choose a "themed" room, for our visit. They have themed rooms there. Oh boy..... (!)

Well, I made a mistake and chose the "Loft." On line, I thought it looked fun. And better to stay in an A- framed style wooden loft when in Holland, than an Asian style room! When in Rome... right?

I cannot say that it was all bad, nor all pleasant. But not a hotel I would chose again, regardless of the room.

If you go and are traveling with children (as I can be like, at times) this "loft" may serve one well. The living area is spacious. I chose to sleep there, instead of the bed.

My friend kept hitting his head on the upper doorway when passing through certain walkways (like the steps down into the bathroom).
I found this rather amusing, though! Beware... The bathroom was large, but had NO doors. Privacy is necessary for just about anyone who uses modern cutlery and walks upright. My companion was annoyed that he was too tall for he shower. My companion stands about five feet- nine inches. Not a basket ball player, nor a model!

We both found it very drafty. When time to depart, I had called for assistance for the luggage twice. Nobody ever arrived. I began to depart this "loft" via the private staircase that was circular, uneven, and made of wood that was warped. I managed to get a piece of luggage tightly suspended between the walls, stick in mid- air. I was SO lucky that a neighbor had heard the sounds of my trouble, and came to aid me. Thankfully, he even helped me all the way through the long lobby and over to the front desk. A very long walk when with four cases! Incredibly kind!

The lobby is lovely. The reception area is nice. The location is very good. Will I go back? No. Nor can I recommend this hotel to anyone I like!

I wish I could say that they "tried." But even so, this was not the case. Oh well.

Room Tip: If you are over five feet nine inches, choose another room. You will likely bash your head and not f...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

Beautiful hotel...in a great location...faultless. Very memorable stay in Amsterdam...I can't wait to return...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
mallorca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

There are several hotels that qualify as 'better than good', in Amsterdam but some friends were staying at the Dylan, so we joined them. Rather than enthuse about its style and charm, the generous-sized rooms, and the perfect location (which have all been done by other helpful reviewers), I'd like to single out the check-in counter-staff and concierges for special notice. Impeccable. One or two of the waiters rather let the side down, I fear (one preternaturally stupid, the other just plain rude)...otherwise it'd have been five stars from me. I'd be happy to go there again.

Room Tip: Canal view essential.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Monaco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

The Dylan oozes personality and style. From a fantastic location on the canal, through the rooms to the restaurant, the Dylan scores tops for everything. On my first visit here, it became my hotel of choice for Amsterdam.

The rooms are large and MY room (for they always make sure I stay in the same same room) is decorated in an interesting style with Chinese tones. Not my favorite style, but we are getting into minor preferences now and this is much preferable to the Grand Hotel chintz. My personal preference is for a walk in shower, rather than combined with a bath. However, the equipment was top quality, so no real complaints here.

The service is impeccable. The check in staff, the doormen, the restaurant staff and the bar staff have all been really well trained, but work in a relaxed style which makes the guest as comfortable as possible. The give the impression that nothing is too much trouble. Arriving very late (after midnight) the bar staff managed to rustle up a cheese platter for me long after the kitchen was closed.

As for the restaurant. It is Michelin starred and does not disappoint. Just remember to bring a healthy credit card. The best feature of the restaurant though, is it scale. It has around 10 tables, so you really feel comfortable and that you are getting the chef's full attention.

Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

Stayed here a few times when it was blakes, and not much has changed really, accept perhaps we weren't as blown away this time quite like our first stay ten yrs ago.
It's still a great hotel, great location and very stylishy done
We ate in the vinkless restaurant, and ten courses later needed to be rolled to our room, it was very very good.

Room Tip: Duplex rooms are same decor they were under blakes, but they are very nice with the upstairs bathroo...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Dylan? Share your experiences!