“Lovely restaured contemporary hotel in the heart of Amsterdam” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Dylan

You added The Dylan to your Saves list
The Dylan
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Keizersgracht 384, 1016 GB Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Canal Ring (Grachtengordel))   |
Ranked #25 of 356 Hotels in Amsterdam
Ghent, Belgium
“Lovely restaured contemporary hotel in the heart of Amsterdam”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

I loved this hotel from the moment I entered. Part of the Small Luxury Hotel group, it is very luxurious, beautiful, bang in the middle of Amsterdam, yet providing a quiet escape from the city ambiance. The staff are excellent, the food and wine is great.
They have a Michelin star restaurant which is honestly exceptional.
However, they really must invest in basic room comfort, which you do find in other hotels of this level: e.g. no large mirrow in the bathroom, leaving me to blow dry my hair in a small shaving mirror, only hard pillows on offer and noise from the cleaners in the corridor meaning that I did not sleep very well at all. After two days with very little sleep, the beauty of it all started to fade...

Room Tip: Get a room away from the lifts and bring your own pillow!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

The room we stayed in was wonderful and clean. The bathroom was amazing.
The staff bar, however, was bad mannered and showed to be nervous.
We stayed 2 nights and on one morning we were woken up by loud music that I guess by mistake went on for 2 minutes in the courtyard garden. Also, the noise from the planes flying over the hotel just after 4.30 kept us awake untill 8 when the music started.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

The Dylan is a beautiful oasis of calm centrally located on a quiet canal-side street. We were made to feel welcome from the moment of our arrival straight through until departure. The inner courtyard is a lovely place to relax, have drinks and snacks. Our deluxe room (#14) was spacious, quiet, and well-appointed. It appeared to have been recently renovated and overlooked the courtyard from the second floor. The concierge was very helpful with dining and sightseeing recommendations. One evening we called him from the street to ask whether any good restaurants were nearby. We enjoyed his choice. Apparently he called the restaurant ahead of our arrival and its proprietor treated us warmly. The service and ambience of the Dylan are not to be missed.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

We looked for a hotel in a good area that would be comfortable to stay with my 10 & 12 yr old boys. The room at this hotel was fantastic. Very old, interesting building with a hip, modern, design interior. The room was elegant and so comfortable at the same time. Great location where I felt safe walking around with my kids and many interesting sites nearby. The floating flower market is over-rated as well as the market. They are tourist traps that frankly can be passed over. The boat tour is a nice way to look around the city and we enjoyed the evening one as it was cooler and less crowded. Definitely try the desserts at hotel restaurant. We had the best macaroon dessert here! Breakfast had a variety of items although it does look like some things sit out a bit too long and should be freshened up more frequently.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

I’ll start with the punch line: I intend to stay at the Dylan in Amsterdam again.

My room was terrific. Each room in this historic property is unique and quite large by Amsterdam standards. The common areas are very hip, however the gym is - frankly - a joke. But, there is a gym close to the hotel and most folks don’t pick places in Amsterdam for the fitness facilities.

There is much about the hotel that I did not experience (lounge, dining, room service) so I’ll write a more comprehensive review later. I normally stay at the Pulitzer hotel so my quick review is this: If you like the Pulitzer, give the Dylan a try (a more stylish, hip version).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

My husband and I spent 3 nights at this very "chic" boutique hotel during our visit to The Netherlands in April.

The Dylan is beautifully appointed and truly a great place to stay in this lovely city. We were vitually within walking distance of "everything".....restaurants, museums, shops etc.

Our room was beautifully appointed with a gorgeous bed and a very nice sitting area - superb stereo system - flat screen TV - and separate bathroom. The bathtub was divine, and we had lush towels and wonderful soaps and ammenities.

The staff could not have been more courteous or helpful. They were watchful to our needs in a very understated and professional manner.

We loved everything about the hotel and would highly recommend it to your readers.

Linda and Jack Burton
Alexandria, Virginia USA

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

It was my first trip to Amsterdam in 10 years and I was here on a 1 day business trip as part of a 5 day trip to Europe. Amsterdam was day 4 after Munich, London and Brussels. This hotel was recommended by a friend who now lives in Amsterdam and I was very pleasantly surprised by all aspects of the hotel. Staff was excellent. Check-in was smooth. They upgraded me to a duplex room which was very large with a bathroom on the top level. My rate did include buffet breakfast and was told that I would be charged for any extra items which I was happy to pay.

Highly recommended.