“I Shall Return” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Dylan

Save Saved
You added The Dylan to your Saves list
The Dylan
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Keizersgracht 384, 1016 GB Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #24 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Chicago
“I Shall Return”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

I’ll start with the punch line: I intend to stay at the Dylan in Amsterdam again.

My room was terrific. Each room in this historic property is unique and quite large by Amsterdam standards. The common areas are very hip, however the gym is - frankly - a joke. But, there is a gym close to the hotel and most folks don’t pick places in Amsterdam for the fitness facilities.

There is much about the hotel that I did not experience (lounge, dining, room service) so I’ll write a more comprehensive review later. I normally stay at the Pulitzer hotel so my quick review is this: If you like the Pulitzer, give the Dylan a try (a more stylish, hip version).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

My husband and I spent 3 nights at this very "chic" boutique hotel during our visit to The Netherlands in April.

The Dylan is beautifully appointed and truly a great place to stay in this lovely city. We were vitually within walking distance of "everything".....restaurants, museums, shops etc.

Our room was beautifully appointed with a gorgeous bed and a very nice sitting area - superb stereo system - flat screen TV - and separate bathroom. The bathtub was divine, and we had lush towels and wonderful soaps and ammenities.

The staff could not have been more courteous or helpful. They were watchful to our needs in a very understated and professional manner.

We loved everything about the hotel and would highly recommend it to your readers.

Linda and Jack Burton
Alexandria, Virginia USA

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

It was my first trip to Amsterdam in 10 years and I was here on a 1 day business trip as part of a 5 day trip to Europe. Amsterdam was day 4 after Munich, London and Brussels. This hotel was recommended by a friend who now lives in Amsterdam and I was very pleasantly surprised by all aspects of the hotel. Staff was excellent. Check-in was smooth. They upgraded me to a duplex room which was very large with a bathroom on the top level. My rate did include buffet breakfast and was told that I would be charged for any extra items which I was happy to pay.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

One of the things I expect from a first class hotel is that the customer is given the benefit of the doubt and misunderstandings are resolved in favor of the customer.

My issue with The Dylan was that upon arrival I was told breakfast was included in our rate...great! The Dylan has a nice restaurant and a leisurely breakfast on the grounds sounded like a great way to start each of our days in Amsterdam.

Unfortunately when checkout arrived, breakfast was on our account. I asked for it to be removed and was told we didn't eat the "right" breakfast. Since we wanted something Ala Carte and had not eaten from their buffet that wasn't allowed. Nevermind our breakfast was priced less than their buffet and nobody mentioned we were constrained to the buffet. In the end the mgmt said it was our mistake but they would be "kind enough" to refund one of our breakfasts but we were on the hook for the rest.

I could expect this treatment from a typical chain hotel but to be nickel and dimed by a supposed first class hotel just jades our view our our entire stay. I can't believe they would risk a dissatisfied customer for 20 euros when we were spending 20 times that per night. But that's the type of treatment you can expect if you stay there.

Otherwise the hotel can be congratulated on a great location. As far as the room itself I couldn't determine if the furniture was supposed to look aged or simply scraped up and had seen better days.

Frankly I can't recommend a hotel that charges a high of rates as they do but don't view their customer as their top priority. I'd look elsewhere. Amsterdam isn't that large a city so you don't need the perfect location to enjoy your stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Longview, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

This property is on a canal in a good section of the city. Walking distance to lots of things including the Trams, Anne Frank House, nice restaurants etc. The staff was wonderful...attentive and friendly. We stayed in one of the rooms that had just been remodeled this month and it was wonderful. The restaurant Vinkeles is a Michelin one star. They offered a special Easter evening meal while we were there and it was certainly a hi-lite of our stay. I only wish we could find more "small luxury hotels" like this jewel!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
1,124 helpful votes 1,124 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

I stayed at the Dylan for four nights in a standard room. Check in was efficient and a bit unique: you are given individual attention at a desk during the entire process. Luggage was brought up to the hotel as I would expect and I was shown around the room and hotel in the usual fashion.

My room was very modern and clean with no major problems. I few lights were out and the switches were a bit tricky to figure out but overall I can't complain. The usual amenities were present and there were no problems with housekeeping.

The real stand-out here for me was service at the concierge desk: they were able to secure reservations at Ron Blaauw (**) and any other request was taken care of professionally and quickly. These guys really were an efficient team and clearly handed off information from shift to shift about my plans so I didn't have to keep reminding each individual person.

The only small negative is more of a preference than anything: the hotel has more of a modern-chic atmosphere (club/disco music in the casual dining area, decorations in the room, etc.) and this may not appeal to all. I was a bit ambivalent but personally prefer the Old World-style a bit but again this is a personal inclination more than anything.

Overall a great experience and I would definitely stay here again. Recommended.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

We checked in to The Dylan after leaving the Amstel intercontinental. This staff wonderful, they were so warm and professional and did everything they could to make our stay special!! I highly reccommend staying at The dylan. . It is a very special boutique Hotel. one of my favorite small hotels, the location is excellent! we will stay there again when we return to Amsterdam.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to The Dylan? Share your experiences!