“4 nights honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam

You added InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam to your Saves list
InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Professor Tulpplein 1, 1018 GX Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #26 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Tel-Aviv
“4 nights honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

For our honeymoon I surprised my wife and took her to this hotel. We're not that rich so this hotel was once in a lifetime experience. It met all my expectations, it was the highlight of our trip to Holland without a doubt. I even think U2 were staying there at the same time as us !

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

We have just spent a weekend at the Amstel Intercontinental Amsterdam as a special treat for my partners birthday.
Being a Priority Club Platinum member my status gives us a possible room upgrade if at all possible. Our City View room was upgraded to a River View room.
The room was large with a 6 foot King Size Bed. The shower was a rain style. It was one large head in the ceiling some 12 feet above you and when you took a shower it was like being in a rain shower!
There is a gym, pool, sauna, steam room, solarium and jaccuzzi within a leisure centre within the hotel. They were spotless. There was also complimentary tea, coffee and juices as well as fresh fruit.
Any enquiry we made to reception, or the consierge, was met with a prompt and accurate reply. Housekeeping too played their part. Each evening we returned there was a card with tomorrows weather on, 2 chocolate liquors and the lights were on. They also turned down the bedding.
Nothing was to much trouble, even an extra pillow was delivered by housekeeping in less than 5 minutes from the request being made.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

Amazing hotel! beautiful, clean and the staff went out of their way for us. We have stayed at many top hotels and this is one of the best. We didn't know what to expect since some of our stay was free nights using points ( another Intercontinental we stayed at was less than gracious when we used our points). They treated us like royalty. The staff went out of their way for everything. I highly recommend this hotel, even if you are paying the full rate, it is more than worth the splurge.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

I managed to book two nights in this hotel using 80000 priority club points that I had managed to accumulate over the years. Therefore I did not have to pay a penny for my stay, I have to say that this has to be the best use of points I could ever imagine. The hotel was superb.

I had been staying in the Grand Hotel Stockholm a few weeks before visiting the Amstel and although I found the Grand Hotel Stockholm to be impressive the Amstel was in a class of its own.

The room was spacious, comfortable beds, amazing mini-bar (large bottles of spirits). The bathroom had a decent sized bath and our room had a separate shower.

I missed breakfast both times after too late a night out, but the service in the restaurant in the evening was superb. It's very pricey, but worth what you get, and thanks to using points to book the hotel it gave us plenty of money to enjoy the restaurant.

It's located on the river, with excellent views. The only problem with this hotel is the price is normally out of my price range and I don't like using points every time I stay at a particular hotel, I like to reward the best hotels. I'll look out for deals the next time I stay.

I've stayed in some nice hotels in Amsterdam, The Grand Sofitel used to be a favourite before trying the Amstel. For earning Priority Club points there's a Crowne Plaza in the city centre that's also fairly decent and reasonably priced. The Crowne Plaza and The Grand are both more centrally located.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Buckinghamshire UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

First off, I would still recommend the Amstel and would most probably stay there on my next trip to Amsterdam but, sadly, it simply isn't as good as it was!

This could partly be that I have become more spolt over the years but I did find the service a bit lack-lustre this trip, as if the hotel staff have lost their spark. There was little evidence of proactive service and quite often there wasn't a waiter around when you wanted one! I did wonder whether this was - at least in part - a result of the current economy: i.e. fewer customers, maybe fewer staff ?

Check-in was fine, but rather cold and formulaic - there was simply no real engagement with us as human beings.

The hotel itself is still grand and generally well-maintained, though I noticed that the red carpet on the steps leading up to the hotel entrance is looking rather scruffy. Also, we did find the lighting in the lifts was ridiculously low. I know these are old lifts harking back to a bygone (pre-electricity) era, but the lighting level was equivalent to a couple of candles - you could only see the lift buttons when the doors opened!

We had a Junior Suite, which was a good size and the bathroom was excellent: large shower plus bath, separate room for the tolilet. Very good linens and a comfy bed. The swimming pool is immaculately kept and very clean.

Breakfast at La Rive - mixed. Service was patchy and the breakfast was OK, but nothing great. Dinner at La Rive, however ,was sensational and I would strongly recommend it to any foodie readers.

So , in summary, still good but sadly not what it was - it used to be fabulous!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

My wife and I had a one-night stay in April.

The canal view was atmospheric; the location is far enough, but not too far from the madding crowds and the room was everything you could expect from a top-tier property.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
San Diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

For any high tea buff out there, the Amstels version of high tea is very pricey (40 euro per person to be exact) for what you'll get and if you're expecting something like tea at the Ritz or anything at all similar - then this isn't it.

This is what you'll get per person for 2 people: 6 cups of tea, 2 very small lemon and 2 very small plain scones, n clotted cream. There are also 3 small jars of jam to share. 1 quarter egg salad, cucumber, ham n butter and salmon sandwich, 1 pesto n cheese and 1 steak tar-tar sandwiches on mini rolls. 2 pieces of chocolate, 1 mini quiche, 1 egg roll and 1 cream lobster croquette. 1 tiny sliver of chocolate cake and another of white cake, and for the finale, a trip to the chocolate fountain where you can dip a marshmellow, a thin sliver of pineapple and a tiny cream puff into a flowing fountain of chocolate. All of the above mentioned food was ok I suppose, but alas, none of it was anything to rave about or made me feel the money I was spending was worth it.

Not the best high tea thatz fer shur, (for me, its the Ritz London that holds that distinction) and probably not the worst either, but I can't recommend it nor will I return. Still for anyone who thinks they'd still want to give it a whirl, then I'd say to bring your wallet and be sure get a table away from the window if you go on a sunny day, as the place is enclosed in glass and will get extemely hot.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!